Eastern Caribbean Tropical Wave

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
hd44
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Tropical Wave just off African Coast

#61 Postby hd44 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:43 pm

AutoPenalti wrote:
hd44 wrote:This wave is probably the deal breaker on an active or non active season. Since after this wave may go on a 2 week hiatus on when the next storm forms.

No, it's not a deal breaker. Climo peak doesn't start till September.

Yes however the great Michael Ventrice who has been spot , doesn't expect much for the first 3 weeks of September.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#62 Postby cycloneye » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:51 pm

A tropical wave near the west coast of Africa is producing a
large area of disorganized showers and thunderstorms.
Environmental conditions appear conducive for gradual development of
this wave while it moves westward to west-northwestward at about 15
mph during the next several days.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...medium...40 percent.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#63 Postby RL3AO » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:00 pm

hd44 wrote:Yes however the great Michael Ventrice who has been spot , doesn't expect much for the first 3 weeks of September.

But even a below average September can be somewhat active.
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#64 Postby Alyono » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:22 pm

hd44 wrote:
AutoPenalti wrote:
hd44 wrote:This wave is probably the deal breaker on an active or non active season. Since after this wave may go on a 2 week hiatus on when the next storm forms.

Yes however the great Michael Ventrice who has been spot , doesn't expect much for the first 3 weeks of September.

he has not been spot on. He's been calling for an active tropical Atlantic. Instead, we've seen hurricanes in the BOC and subtropics

Also, the planetary waves have little influence in the subtropics. if the tropical Atlantic is quiet (as it has been so far in August), that does not mean the higher latitudes will be quiet
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#65 Postby gatorcane » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:23 pm

Even the ECMWF is backing off on this wave some though 96 hours...wow. Just when you thought shoe-in development, models do a 180 on the next run (almost).
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#66 Postby cycloneye » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:36 pm

Euro develops outside the MDR.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

wxmann_91
Category 5
Category 5

#67 Postby wxmann_91 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:42 pm

hd44 wrote:
AutoPenalti wrote:

Sept was pretty dead last year too, and then Matthew happened. I'm leaning towards an inactive season but one single wave is not a deal breaker in that regards.
0 likes   

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

#68 Postby Gustywind » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:50 pm

AXNT20 KNHC 161807
TWDAT

Tropical Weather Discussion
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL
207 PM EDT Wed Aug 16 2017

...TROPICAL WAVES...

A 1010 mb low is off the coast of W Africa near 10N19W embedded in
the monsoon trough.
A tropical wave is E of this low, still inland
over W Africa along 15W, moving W at 15-20 kt. This wave in a
very moist area based on SSMI TPW imagery and has a well
pronounced 700 mb trough. Scattered showers are within 120 nm
radius of the low.
0 likes   

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#69 Postby OuterBanker » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:58 pm

A not to all the naysayers out there. Gert which will be the strongest hurricane so far this season never looked as good as 91 l 92 l or 93 l. In fact most (myself included) pretty much had written it off. I will now hold off judgement until it gets into the west Atlantic. It seems to me none of the models really has a handle on this season. Wondering if all the new upgrades to all the models are improvements.
1 likes   

gsheldon
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#70 Postby gsheldon » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:18 pm

Hello everyone, I am a retired meteorologist- was on television/radio and started my career in Miami in the mid 80's. I have noticed that the GFS is not what it use to be and not as reliable. I have a subscription to Weather Bell models which in my professional opinion is a lot better than tropical tidbits. The third wave is the wave I am concerned about. It is still to early to predict where it will end up as there is a lot of shear taking place but it does have potential.
1 likes   
Meteorologist George Sheldon

otowntiger
Category 5
Category 5

#71 Postby otowntiger » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:01 pm

gsheldon wrote:Hello everyone, I am a retired meteorologist- was on television/radio and started my career in Miami in the mid 80's. I have noticed that the GFS is not what it use to be and not as reliable. I have a subscription to Weather Bell models which in my professional opinion is a lot better than tropical tidbits. The third wave is the wave I am concerned about. It is still to early to predict where it will end up as there is a lot of shear taking place but it does have potential.
so I take it you don't think it will re-curve? It seems like the concensus around here along with many models is that it will stay well clear of the CONUS if not land altogether. I'm curious about your considered opinion here. - thanks!
1 likes   

junepath
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#72 Postby junepath » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:00 pm

Curious as to when this might be labeled an Invest? I feel 91 and 92 were declared when the chances for development were still 0/10. Is it because it's barely left the coast of Africa?

(I'm seriously super new, I don't know ANYTHING, so I'm sure this is a stupid question)
0 likes   
Just learning, I have zero input or predictions.

Andrew92
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#73 Postby Andrew92 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:43 pm

otowntiger wrote:
gsheldon wrote:Hello everyone, I am a retired meteorologist- was on television/radio and started my career in Miami in the mid 80's. I have noticed that the GFS is not what it use to be and not as reliable. I have a subscription to Weather Bell models which in my professional opinion is a lot better than tropical tidbits. The third wave is the wave I am concerned about. It is still to early to predict where it will end up as there is a lot of shear taking place but it does have potential.
so I take it you don't think it will re-curve? It seems like the concensus around here along with many models is that it will stay well clear of the CONUS if not land altogether. I'm curious about your considered opinion here. - thanks!

That is the consensus, but how trustworthy are the models that far out? It seems like they all need to be taken with a grain of salt this year.

Furthermore, that ridge to the north looks pretty solid, at least up to this point. I may easily be missing something, but I am not ready to buy the recurve at this time. Until then, it's definitely worth watching, to say the least.

-Andrew92
1 likes   

amawea
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#74 Postby amawea » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:02 pm

Welcome aboard gsheldon, I look forward to you sharing your knowledge.
0 likes   

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#75 Postby USTropics » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:11 pm

junepath wrote:Curious as to when this might be labeled an Invest? I feel 91 and 92 were declared when the chances for development were still 0/10. Is it because it's barely left the coast of Africa?

(I'm seriously super new, I don't know ANYTHING, so I'm sure this is a stupid question)

There's no real rhyme or reason to when the NHC publicly declares an AOI an invest (there have been invests declared while a system was still inland over Africa). Internally, it's already labeled with a GENESIS tag. Usually, you'll see an invest publicly declared when the 5-day TWO shows medium chances of development.
0 likes   

junepath
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#76 Postby junepath » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:19 pm

I'd think soon then, as it's sitting at 40% now. Thanks for the info!
0 likes   
Just learning, I have zero input or predictions.

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#77 Postby Hurricaneman » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:32 pm

junepath wrote:I'd think soon then, as it's sitting at 40% now. Thanks for the info!

IMO this will have to be watched in the 7 to 10 day range to see if this is a recurve out to sea or it follows 92L but it's the NHC that will have to make the choice to invest this or not
0 likes   

jason1912
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#78 Postby jason1912 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:56 pm

0 likes   

hd44
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Tropical Wave SE of Cabo Verde Islands

#79 Postby hd44 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:40 am

Odds are dropping for significant formation from it. Probably will have a decrease in Ecmwf guidence at 00z.
0 likes   

hd44
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Tropical Wave SE of Cabo Verde Islands

#80 Postby hd44 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:43 am

Gefs stronger with 92l than future 93l if it is even 93l.
Support dropping.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”