2017 Cyclones Retirement: New names are: Harold / Idalia / Margot / Nigel

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Cleveland Kent Evans
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: 2017 Cyclones Retirement

#21 Postby Cleveland Kent Evans » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:24 pm

Hernan, Howard, and Hector -- and Ileana, Iselle, and Ivette -- are "not available" because they are presently on the Eastern Pacific lists, not because they've been retired. And one would hope that the committee making the decision is smart enough not to have the same name on the Eastern Pacific and Atlantic lists at the same time.

My first choices for replacements would be Heath and Ivy. I would not have wanted Ivy IF Harvey was still going to be on the list, because Harvey in a British accent and Ivy in a Texas accent are pronounced almost the same. :) But since Harvey will definitely be replaced, Ivy would be an excellent replacement for Irma if one is needed.
0 likes   

Torino
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#22 Postby Torino » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:25 pm

Cleveland Kent Evans wrote:Hernan, Howard, and Hector -- and Ileana, Iselle, and Ivette -- are "not available" because they are presently on the Eastern Pacific lists, not because they've been retired. And one would hope that the committee making the decision is smart enough not to have the same name on the Eastern Pacific and Atlantic lists at the same time.

My first choices for replacements would be Heath and Ivy. I would not have wanted Ivy IF Harvey was still going to be on the list, because Harvey in a British accent and Ivy in a Texas accent are pronounced almost the same. :) But since Harvey will definitely be replaced, Ivy would be an excellent replacement for Irma if one is needed.

Great choices, but if France requests to retire Irma first, then I think Ivy won't be chosen.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#23 Postby CrazyC83 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:20 pm

Now could we have to retire Jose and Katia as well? There have never been 3 consecutive retired names, let alone 4.

Jacinto and Kiara would be my replacement choices, but that is getting ahead of myself. Please Lee and Maria, stay out in the far Atlantic or stay weak!
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#24 Postby CrazyC83 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:57 pm

Torino wrote:
Cleveland Kent Evans wrote:Hernan, Howard, and Hector -- and Ileana, Iselle, and Ivette -- are "not available" because they are presently on the Eastern Pacific lists, not because they've been retired. And one would hope that the committee making the decision is smart enough not to have the same name on the Eastern Pacific and Atlantic lists at the same time.

Great choices, but if France requests to retire Irma first, then I think Ivy won't be chosen.

Any of Antigua and Barbuda, France, the UK (multiple territories), the Netherlands, the Bahamas, Cuba or the US could have a retirement case for Irma. For Harvey, definitely the US would control such.
0 likes   

Cleveland Kent Evans
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#25 Postby Cleveland Kent Evans » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:38 pm

Torino wrote:Great choices, but if France requests to retire Irma first, then I think Ivy won't be chosen.

I have no idea what happens at that committee of the World Meteorological Organization if more than one country asks to have the same name retired. Are these requests communicated in advance of the actual meeting?

The last time I remember for sure that a French request led to a retirement was when Dorian replaced Dean. Interestingly, Dorian is not a French name by origin (it was basically invented by British writer Oscar Wilde), but it was popular for boys born in France in the 1980s.

The "I" names that were on the top 500 list for girls born in France in 2015 were Ines, Inaya, Iris, Ilyana, Imane, Izia, Ilana, Ilona, Isra, Iliana, Isaure, and Insaf. Several of these are names that are probably now used in France among Muslim and/or African immigrants. Iris has already been retired and I would hope Ines would be considered too close to the retired Inez. Though it's not now in the top 500, perhaps Isaline would be another French possibility.
0 likes   

Iune
Category 1
Category 1

#26 Postby Iune » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:01 pm

Cleveland Kent Evans wrote:
Torino wrote:Great choices, but if France requests to retire Irma first, then I think Ivy won't be chosen.

I have no idea what happens at that committee of the World Meteorological Organization if more than one country asks to have the same name retired. Are these requests communicated in advance of the actual meeting?

The last time I remember for sure that a French request led to a retirement was when Dorian replaced Dean. Interestingly, Dorian is not a French name by origin (it was basically invented by British writer Oscar Wilde), but it was popular for boys born in France in the 1980s.

The "I" names that were on the top 500 list for girls born in France in 2015 were Ines, Inaya, Iris, Ilyana, Imane, Izia, Ilana, Ilona, Isra, Iliana, Isaure, and Insaf. Several of these are names that are probably now used in France among Muslim and/or African immigrants. Iris has already been retired and I would hope Ines would be considered too close to the retired Inez. Though it's not now in the top 500, perhaps Isaline would be another French possibility.

If I remember correctly, one of the French territories (Martinique?) was the one who officially requested the retirement of Felix in 2007 as well.
0 likes   
Floyd 1999 · Irene 2011 · Sandy 2012

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#27 Postby Ptarmigan » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:40 pm

Ptarmigan wrote:I think Harvey is going to be retired.

Same goes with Irma.
1 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#28 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:50 am

Ptarmigan wrote:

Same goes with Irma.

Jose and Katia are trying their best to join them too. Never had 3 straight retirements, let alone 4.
0 likes   

Torino
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#29 Postby Torino » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:33 am

Iune wrote:
If I remember correctly, one of the French territories (Martinique?) was the one who officially requested the retirement of Felix in 2007 as well.

Yes, I remember that. France requested the retirement of Dean, Felix and Noel in 2007. Dean because of the destruction, Felix and Noel because these are French names. They also suggested Dorian, Fernand (and Fermin, I believe) and Nestor to replace those names.
0 likes   

Iune
Category 1
Category 1

#30 Postby Iune » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:32 pm

Torino wrote:
Iune wrote:

Yes, I remember that. France requested the retirement of Dean, Felix and Noel in 2007. Dean because of the destruction, Felix and Noel because these are French names. They also suggested Dorian, Fernand (and Fermin, I believe) and Nestor to replace those names.

Was that why they requested Felix's retirement? I always wondered why they were the ones requesting retirement in lieu of Nicaragua or another country more badly impacted by the hurricane.
0 likes   
Floyd 1999 · Irene 2011 · Sandy 2012

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#31 Postby Ptarmigan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:43 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:
Ptarmigan wrote:

Same goes with Irma.

Jose and Katia are trying their best to join them too. Never had 3 straight retirements, let alone 4.

That is really something right there! :eek:
0 likes   

Torino
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#32 Postby Torino » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:08 am

Iune wrote:
Torino wrote:
Iune wrote:

Was that why they requested Felix's retirement? I always wondered why they were the ones requesting retirement in lieu of Nicaragua or another country more badly impacted by the hurricane.

Yes, I remember the report from France. I don't know if Nicaragua also requested the retirement of Felix, or Cuba/Dominican Rep. of Noel.
That's why I said before the first country that requests the retirement is usually the one that suggests a replacement name. I believe other countries can support the idea though.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#33 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:55 pm

Looks like at least Katia will see 2023, and Jose it depends on the loop and next move since its current setup - even if it reached cat 5 - doesn't support retirement.

Harvey and Irma are definitely going to be retired though.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#34 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:59 pm

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

If I did the list for 2023, it would be (as of now):

Blue - new name
Red - depends on impact down the road for current or potential upcoming storm

Arlene, Bret, Cindy, Don, Emily, Franklin, Gert, Hans, Imogene, Jose, Katia, Lee, Molly, Nate, Ophelia, Philippe, Rina, Sean, Tammy, Vince, Whitney
Last edited by CrazyC83 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 likes   

HurricaneRyan
Category 2
Category 2

#35 Postby HurricaneRyan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:42 pm

Looks like Jose nor Katia will be joining Harvey or Irma
0 likes   
Kay '22 Hilary '23

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#36 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:35 am

HurricaneRyan wrote:Looks like Jose nor Katia will be joining Harvey or Irma

Katia looks safe for 2023. Jose should be safe unless it does a big hit on the east coast.
0 likes   

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#37 Postby EquusStorm » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:17 pm

The big two are obviously already a shoe-in for never being seen again, but so far it looks like just the two for now. Franklin seemed to be very mild and Katia's two deaths were vastly overshadowed by the earthquake striking at pretty much the same time; unless Jose rides the coast or bombs out and hits the Canadian Maritimes, it has caused little direct damage despite its intensity and the island evacuation.

One thing I DO realize though after a couple decades of Atlantic-watching, is that every time a storm of any intensity comes within hundreds of miles of a French-owned island or territory, their WMO delegation immediately starts coming up with replacement names... :ggreen:
1 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#38 Postby CrazyC83 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:07 pm

Looks like we will be looking for a new female M name as well. Last time three names were retired was 2008.

Names NOT available for that: Madeline, Maria, Marie, Marilyn, Melissa, Michelle, Miriam, Mindy
0 likes   

wxmann_91
Category 5
Category 5

#39 Postby wxmann_91 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:18 pm

EquusStorm wrote:The big two are obviously already a shoe-in for never being seen again, but so far it looks like just the two for now. Franklin seemed to be very mild and Katia's two deaths were vastly overshadowed by the earthquake striking at pretty much the same time; unless Jose rides the coast or bombs out and hits the Canadian Maritimes, it has caused little direct damage despite its intensity and the island evacuation.

One thing I DO realize though after a couple decades of Atlantic-watching, is that every time a storm of any intensity comes within hundreds of miles of a French-owned island or territory, their WMO delegation immediately starts coming up with replacement names... :ggreen:

Three days later...
2 likes   

Torino
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#40 Postby Torino » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:47 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:Looks like we will be looking for a new female M name as well. Last time three names were retired was 2008.

Names NOT available for that: Madeline, Maria, Marie, Marilyn, Melissa, Michelle, Miriam, Mindy

Monica, Miranda, Mia, Melanie, Mireille, Marisa, Marcia, Martha, Marsha, Molly, Mel, Megan, Magda... there are 1000 candidates.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”