Tropical Wave SE of Cabo Verde Islands (Invest 93L is up)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Tropical Wave in Western Africa

#41 Postby SFLcane » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:23 am

Hmmm... a lot more GEFS ensembles near Florida now.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#42 Postby cycloneye » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:51 pm

2 PM TWO:

A tropical wave over western Africa is forecast to emerge over the
far eastern Atlantic Ocean tonight or early Monday. Environmental
conditions appear to be conducive for slow development by the middle
of next week while the wave moves westward about 15 to 20 mph.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...20 percent.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#43 Postby cycloneye » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:46 pm

12z ECMWF much south than past runs.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

HurricaneEric
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#44 Postby HurricaneEric » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:46 pm

Not a pro by any means, but I'm taking intensity forecasting of this potential storm and steering with a grain of salt. I do however think genesis is very possible with this much model agreement.

The concern is if this storm ends up weaker in the MDR than what the models are proposing AND steering tends to trend more west as time goes by--like it typically does.
0 likes   
Irene '99, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Irma '17 (storms I remember my area getting hurricane force winds/gusts).

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and shouldn't be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the experts.

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#45 Postby gatorcane » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:53 pm

The Euro shows quite a ridge over the North-Central Atlantic that builds and moves west in tandem with this system. The Euro even shows some WSW movement. Long-range 216 hour position showing 500mb ridge over top.

0 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#46 Postby AutoPenalti » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:55 pm

gatorcane wrote:The Euro shows quite a ridge over the North Atlantic that builds and moves west in tandem with this system. The Euro even shows some WSW movement. Long-range 216 hour position showing 500mb ridge over top.

Couple of days out but I did see on the GFS run that it was moving relatively in tandem with future 93L.

I think the shortwave nearing Chicago looks to maybe create a short term weakness after wards, we'll see.

EDIT: or not.
Last edited by AutoPenalti on Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#47 Postby gatorcane » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:57 pm

Euro 240 hours and ridge building west even more with the system moving west just north of the islands. Classic September setup. How the run ends:

0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#48 Postby cycloneye » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:59 pm

End of run.

0 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#49 Postby AutoPenalti » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:04 pm

gatorcane wrote:Euro 240 hours and ridge building west even more with the system moving west just north of the islands. Classic September setup. How the run ends:

https://s2.postimg.org/oijon32s9/ecmwf_ ... atl_11.png

That's actually pretty concerning, a bit north of the Herbert Box.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

AxaltaRacing24
Category 5
Category 5

#50 Postby AxaltaRacing24 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:13 pm

AutoPenalti wrote:
gatorcane wrote:Euro 240 hours and ridge building west even more with the system moving west just north of the islands. Classic September setup. How the run ends:

Possibly yet another wave to watch? (If it is in that position on Sept 6th it would make the first day of school quite interesting)
0 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#51 Postby AutoPenalti » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:18 pm

AxaltaRacing24 wrote:
AutoPenalti wrote:

Possibly yet another wave to watch? (If it is in that position on Sept 6th it would make the first day of school quite interesting)

I thought classes started on the 21st of August?
0 likes   

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

AxaltaRacing24
Category 5
Category 5

#52 Postby AxaltaRacing24 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:33 pm

AutoPenalti wrote:
AxaltaRacing24 wrote:
AutoPenalti wrote:That's actually pretty concerning, a bit north of the Herbert Box.

I thought classes started on the 21st of August?

For me (Private School) it is after labor day.
1 likes   

sma10
Category 5
Category 5

#53 Postby sma10 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:35 pm

AxaltaRacing24 wrote:
AutoPenalti wrote:

Stay off that cell phone while in class! :cheesy:
0 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#54 Postby Blown Away » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:50 pm

That trough has not failed Fl in 12+ years, no reason to think it won't be in place just in time this season as well... I believe there has been an overall pattern change keeping system well E of SE Conus... I'm sure the pattern will change at some point, but it doesn't seem like this season will be any differen... JMHO
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05...
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#55 Postby TheStormExpert » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:07 pm

Blown Away wrote:

That trough has not failed Fl in 12+ years, no reason to think it won't be in place just in time this season as well... I believe there has been an overall pattern change keeping system well E of SE Conus... I'm sure the pattern will change at some point, but it doesn't seem like this season will be any differen... JMHO

What 12+ year pattern? 2004 saw Frances and Jeanne strike in exact same locations along the East-Central Florida coast in September. Not to mention we just had a Cat.4 Hurricane Harvey devastate and cripple Texas.
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

ColdMiser123
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#56 Postby ColdMiser123 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:14 pm

Ominous look on the Euro Ensembles. A substantial number bring this close to the east coast, with very deep disturbances.
0 likes   
B.S., M.S., Meteorology & Atmospheric Science

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#57 Postby Steve » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:17 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:
Blown Away wrote:

What 12+ year pattern? 2004 saw Frances and Jeanne strike in exact same locations along the East-Central Florida coast in September. Not to mention we just had a Cat.4 Hurricane Harvey devastate and cripple Texas.

2004 was 13 years ago ;)

But I agree with you. This year many of the tracks are on the western side except the A storm early and the two that died out. Florida is in the crosshairs as much as it ever is. I'm not a hype person unless I see something that calls for hype. What I would say is that I don't expect Harvey to be the last Southern/SE US Threat this year.

Interestingly almost every other model except the GFS like a long tracker track and have it going west at 240 (JMA, Euro, NAVGEM). GFS that I have access to goes out the longest, but it recurves. CMC did too I think. Look for them both to come into better agreement with the other models in time. I don't know if this system will threaten the US, Mexico or the Islands, but it's another one we'll be watching for a while.
2 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#58 Postby TheStormExpert » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:18 pm

12z EPS Ensembles show less ridging and troughiness @240hrs. similar to the 00z EPS Ensembles with this area located just barely NE of the Eastern Caribbean.

One thing that is extremely noticeable is the 12z Euro is MUCH faster with this wave when compared to it's 00z run and the 12z GFS.

12z Euro @240hrs. :darrow:

12z GFS @240hrs. :darrow:
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#59 Postby Blown Away » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:19 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:
Blown Away wrote:

It's been 12 years since Frances/Jeanne/Katrina/Wilma affected FL... I stated SE Conus, not TX...
1 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05...
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

HurricaneEric
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#60 Postby HurricaneEric » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:20 pm

ColdMiser123 wrote:Ominous look on the Euro Ensembles. A substantial number bring this close to the east coast, with very deep disturbances.

Mind posting a link to them?
0 likes   
Irene '99, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Irma '17 (storms I remember my area getting hurricane force winds/gusts).

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and shouldn't be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the experts.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”