93L/Irma Total ACE Poll

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K

How much ACE will Irma rack up for the Atlantic?

Poll ended at Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:47 am

Less than 10
No votes
10 to 14.9
No votes
15 to 19.9
2%
20 to 24.9
8%
25 to 29.9
12%
30 to 39.9
18%
40 to 49.9
32%
50 to 59.9
13%
More than 60
15%

Total votes: 60

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 93L/Irma Total ACE Poll

#41 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:45 am

xtyphooncyclonex wrote:I was unable to vote but if I were ever given a choice, I'd handily pick "More than 60" among those above. Within the next three days, Irma may already exceed 50 units and given her strong unusually intensity and longevity it has a shot at surpassing not just Ivan but Ioke as well, considering the latter two were weaker at their peaks than Irma is currently. Irma is holding on to 160-knot strength longer than previously anticipated, with the NHC previously predicting it would be around 145-150 kts by now

Irma now approximately 63.1 and may exceed Ivan's record of 70 IMO
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

weathaguyry
Category 5
Category 5

#42 Postby weathaguyry » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:31 pm

weathaguyry wrote:I'm going with 30-40, Irma seems to be at a fairly high latitude, so I dont believe it will affect the CONUS, but may possibly affect Bermuda, the storm looks nice already, and doesn't have to contend with the SAL or shear that earlier storms had to, so it's a good bet that this will become a major, just a complete opinion though :D

*facepalms 11 days later*
2 likes   
My posts are only my opinions and NOT official forecasts. For official forecasts, consult the National Hurricane Center or the National Weather Service.

Irene 11', Sandy 12', Fay 20’, Isaias 20’, Elsa 21’, Henri 21’, Ida 21’

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#43 Postby 1900hurricane » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:40 pm

66.22 now, although it's going to add up much slower now that Irma is <100 kt. Ivan '04 appears to be safe, but there is a good chance it can remain above Isabel '03 for the NAtl's number two in the satellite era once the final best track is out.
0 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#44 Postby 1900hurricane » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:54 pm

1900hurricane wrote:The southwestward dip before reaching 20ºN should help keep Irma over sufficiently warm waters for a long time, and it actually reminds me somewhat of the all-time ACE champion, Ioke '06. It's probably a safe assumption that we aren't going to challenge Ioke's ~85 units of ACE, but the system's overall longevity at high intensity ceiling is pretty up there. It's just a question of how much is realized.

Looks like almost all of it was realized. Without getting too bizarre with potential tracks, pretty much the only way it could have stayed stronger for longer is if it managed to track further south and/or west (like Ivan '04) or managed to pull a Joan '97 style graceful recurve just off the Florida coast.
RL3AO wrote:
1900hurricane wrote:The southwestward dip before reaching 20ºN should help keep Irma over sufficiently warm waters for a long time, and it actually reminds me somewhat of the all-time ACE champion, Ioke '06. It's probably a safe assumption that we aren't going to challenge Ioke's ~85 units of ACE, but the system's overall longevity at high intensity ceiling is pretty up there. It's just a question of how much is realized.

I'm starting to wonder if we can get 10 days of a major hurricane out of this. Starting to look like it could be one in 2 or 3 days.

Unless some of the Eastern Atlantic 95 kt intensities get bumped up in the final best track, it looks like we're capping out at 8.5 days, good for the NAtl's number 2 in the satellite era (behind Ivan '04 at 10 days) and number 4 globally over the same span (with Ioke '06 and Paka '97 with 11.25 and 8.75 days, respectively).
0 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”