Hurricane Smells

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
storm_in_a_teacup
Category 1
Category 1

Hurricane Smells

#1 Postby storm_in_a_teacup » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:44 pm

Okay this is going to sound like a dumb question but for those of you who have been through a tropical cyclone (anywhere, any strength), what does it smell like afterwards?

I ask because I read something written by someone in Ohio who said they like it when they get tropical storm remnants because it smells like the ocean after. And a NOAA webpage says the smell of dead fish and seaweed washed up by the storm surge lingers. And also a perfume company in India is now making perfume out of monsoon rains...so someone could...bottle hurricane scents?

(For the record I have a terrible sense of smell so I haven't noticed really any scents in the storms I have been through. I mostly smell like black tea leaves, but I doubt most full size storms do. Maybe they smell like mold. :lol: )
0 likes   
I know I can't straddle the atmosphere...just a tiny storm in your teacup, girl.

'CaneFreak
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Hurricane Smells

#2 Postby 'CaneFreak » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:46 pm

It depends on the impacts. If you ask the inhabitants of Houston, some probably smell rotting flesh, mold, and the smell of sulfur from burning buildings, powerlines, etc. If you ask the people of Rockport, they probably smell fresh green foliage that has just been debarked off of their trees.
3 likes   

mitchell
Category 1
Category 1

#3 Postby mitchell » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:58 pm

Two very distinct hurricane smell memories for me.

The smell of "marsh muck" (that odor of wetlands mud) in residential neighborhoods near the sounds in eastern north Carolina after Floyd. The surge came up, deposited a layer of that black stuff throughout town in huge puddles, and then the sun came out and just baked it....

INTENSE smell of mold inside flood damaged houses after Tropical Storm Henri in 2003. A few weeks after the flood, inside houses that hadn't been allowed to dry out because the owners were not going back. The smell of just clobbered your sinuses the second you stepped inside.
3 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby Steve » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:10 pm

Agree on dead fish and muck smells. Also refrigerator rot smell once they start going outside. Very distinct and unpleasant.
2 likes   

Kalrany
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#5 Postby Kalrany » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:11 pm

Wet, mold, musty after. Pungent, damp grass and leaves, rain, wet sand and dirt, and a bit earthwormy during. The sharp smell of ozone and wet green before.

So many scents....... Like an epic thunderstorm ramped up to 11 for all the flavors.
1 likes   
TOTAL NOVICE. The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
Lansing MI, Galveston TX, Madison WI, Houston TX, Newark DE

storm_in_a_teacup
Category 1
Category 1

#6 Postby storm_in_a_teacup » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:32 pm

So...generally unpleasant and gross.

That's what I was mostly expecting.

(My reasons for wondering this are of course for incredibly dumb toilet humor purposes. See: https://quasarlasar.tumblr.com/post/164 ... learned-it)

0 likes   
I know I can't straddle the atmosphere...just a tiny storm in your teacup, girl.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”