How many more systems will develop during the rest of the Atlantic Season?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K

How many systems will develop during the rest of the Atlantic Season?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:16 am

One more
3%
Two more
6%
Three more
9%
Four more
12%
Five more
16%
Six more
23%
Seven more
13%
Eigyt more
9%
Nine more
3%
Ten or more
6%

Total votes: 90

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: How many more systems will develop during the rest of the Atlantic Season?

#21 Postby chaser1 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:38 pm

Alyono wrote:
RL3AO wrote:We could easily be through Nate by next week (the wave over Africa being Nate). With a transition towards La Nina this fall looking more likely, I'm starting to think Greek letters are a possibility. Nate would make 14, leaving only 7 names. It probably won't happen (Greek letters), but it is incredible to think 2017 could go down as one of the most active seasons on record after people were comparing it to 2013 only four weeks ago. :lol:

hey, at least I was saying an ACTIVE version of 2013, LOL

Like the PDO crash last year, the sudden la niña caught me by surprise

La Nina would truly have caught most people by surprise. I anticipated a nasty and busy season but anticipated a fully neutral ENSO. In spite of ENSO however, if I remember correctly your pre-season forecast also predicted this year to be quite robust and active
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

robbielyn
Category 5
Category 5

#22 Postby robbielyn » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:03 am

gatorcane wrote:I would not be surprised if Florida ends up getting hit again but from the south this time from something in the Caribbean, particularly the Western Caribbean in October.

hush your mouth Gatorcane :lol:
1 likes   
Robbielyn McCrary
I know just about enough to sound like I know what I'm talking about sometimes. But for your safety please follow the nhc for truly professional forecasting. :D

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#23 Postby chaser1 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:09 pm

robbielyn wrote:
gatorcane wrote:I would not be surprised if Florida ends up getting hit again but from the south this time from something in the Caribbean, particularly the Western Caribbean in October.

I'm even thinking that Florida may well see two more landfalls. Having said that however, "Nate" might be borne out of the area presently being watched south of Cuba which the models are beginning to project may well spin up a small meso-cane style storm east of Daytona Beach/Vero Beach area. Hopefully this won't amount to anything very significant and become no more robust than a T.S. Ophelia looks to be on Nate's heals if the GFS and Euro models continue to hint later term development. This appears to be an altogether different breed of monsoonal low that might form. Though far far larger (if it forms), I think its broad size might prevent it from becoming overly strong. I'm thinking that this systems will trudge more Northwest to NNW and potentially impact areas in the West to North Central Gulf and not directly landfall in Florida. My guess is that another Florida risk might be in the more classic mid-October south of Cuba origin; perhaps a small to medium sized Cat. 1 or Cat 2 system that steers northward and then NNE ahead of a dropping CONUS short wave into the west/central Gulf.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

robbielyn
Category 5
Category 5

#24 Postby robbielyn » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:08 pm

chaser1 wrote:
robbielyn wrote:

I'm even thinking that Florida may well see two more landfalls. Having said that however, "Nate" might be borne out of the area presently being watched south of Cuba which the models are beginning to project may well spin up a small meso-cane style storm east of Daytona Beach/Vero Beach area. Hopefully this won't amount to anything very significant and become no more robust than a T.S. Ophelia looks to be on Nate's heals if the GFS and Euro models continue to hint later term development. This appears to be an altogether different breed of monsoonal low that might form. Though far far larger (if it forms), I think its broad size might prevent it from becoming overly strong. I'm thinking that this systems will trudge more Northwest to NNW and potentially impact areas in the West to North Central Gulf and not directly landfall in Florida. My guess is that another Florida risk might be in the more classic mid-October south of Cuba origin; perhaps a small to medium sized Cat. 1 or Cat 2 system that steers northward and then NNE ahead of a dropping CONUS short wave into the west/central Gulf.

Ok u hush too lol. i'm going to ft myers beach oct 14-21st so no storms that week. come to think of it leave florida alone we want to share the love if we must. alabama hasn't had one in a while. i have nothing against Alabama. :P
0 likes   
Robbielyn McCrary
I know just about enough to sound like I know what I'm talking about sometimes. But for your safety please follow the nhc for truly professional forecasting. :D

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

#25 Postby floridasun78 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:57 pm

i dont see 7 more most 3 or 4
0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#26 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:00 am

This season is a quality over quantity year, yet I see an abundance of named storms occurring before 2017 (not just the season) ends. I'm seeing five/six more to be named, four more hurricanes and three of those becoming majors with an ACE index surpassing both 2005 and 1933, despite having lesser storms. Even if the season were to end immediately, the 2017 NAtl hurricane season would be a hyperactive season with historic levels of activity.
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

Dean_175
Category 1
Category 1

#27 Postby Dean_175 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:53 pm

xtyphooncyclonex wrote:This season is a quality over quantity year, yet I see an abundance of named storms occurring before 2017 (not just the season) ends. I'm seeing five/six more to be named, four more hurricanes and three of those becoming majors with an ACE index surpassing both 2005 and 1933, despite having lesser storms. Even if the season were to end immediately, the 2017 NAtl hurricane season would be a hyperactive season with historic levels of activity.

Welcome back to storm2k - haven't seen you in a while. I am thinking we will see maybe three to four more names (not counting invest 99L if it develops), a couple hurricanes and maybe one more major.

This season has been interesting. I was surprised there was no real talk here of a potential active season this year with the Atlantic being as warm as it is (and was pre-season). That is likely because of the possibility of El Nino and the fact that many believed the active era to be over.
1 likes   
All posts by Dean_175 are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#28 Postby 1900hurricane » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:35 pm

The correct number ended up being six.

Lee
Maria
Nate
Ophelia
Philippe
Rina
0 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”