Weak remnant low southwest of Nate

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Patrick99
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Trough of low pressure from Cuba into Straits of Florida

#201 Postby Patrick99 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:46 am

Whatever this is, it is causing significant rainfall in Miami. Is it just me, or does this feature and TD 16 all appear to be part of the same giant slab of convection stretching all the way from the northern Bahamas down to Panama?
1 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#202 Postby NDG » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:56 am

A very sheared look on vis satellite this morning, L is where the small circulation is.

1 likes   

SuperMarioBros99thx
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#203 Postby SuperMarioBros99thx » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:02 am

Well. Now with closed circulation. I think in the next advisories this would jump instantly to TS Nate without ever being an invest or even a TD, the first one of that kind in this year.
0 likes   
My opinions are mine and SHOULD not be treated as an official source of information. PLEASE see National Hurricane Center, or any other meteorological agencies, for that matter. By the way, I was born and came from Indonesia, which is rarely hit by tropical cyclones, but regardless, I have LOTS of interest in meteorology.

tropicwatch
Category 5
Category 5

#204 Postby tropicwatch » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:04 am

Nate has already been taken, it would be Ophelia.
0 likes   
Tropicwatch

Agnes 72', Eloise 75, Elena 85', Kate 85', Charley 86', Florence 88', Beryl 94', Dean 95', Erin 95', Opal 95', Earl 98', Georges 98', Ivan 2004', Arlene 2005', Dennis 2005', Ida 2009' Debby 2012' Irma 2017' Michael 2018'

flamingosun
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#205 Postby flamingosun » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:31 am

Well, whatever it is, the weather has been nearly squally, and rather tropical feeling for days around here... Our normal gentle sea breeze has been replaced with moist, gusty winds, and rain off and on all hours of the day and night, rather than typical afternoon thunder showers.
It feels like whenever 99L died out, this 'thing' stepped right in.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#206 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:34 am

Strangest 0% tropical noname system I have ever seen... lol
3 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#207 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:51 am

At this point it is going to cross over passed the shear axis. Not sure if that would support convection... but i guess it worked for Lee.. so who knows..
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#208 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:43 am

on a side note.... the 06 GFS has the system moving WNW to NW from this point on.. however it is moving due west if not slightl south of west.. reason for this post.. the shear drops off in about 24 to 30 hours just north of CUBA and the Yucatan channel.. if this stays farther south it may stay around even longer greatly affecting Nate...
1 likes   

flamingosun
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#209 Postby flamingosun » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:10 am

northjaxpro wrote:Levi Cowan yesterday showed the model run from Euro from Wednesday in which some piece of vorticity split off from the large axis. Early this morning, it appears that a portion of this system is drifting north along off the Southeast Florida East Coast, and the other split energy is the energy we currently see down near Key West that will move into the Gulf of Mexico. The emphasis here with Levi with pointing out that that a piece of energy that was shown on Euro to split off, one piece of vorticity which went north off the east coast of Florida, would keep that ridge of high pressure weak off the Florida Atlantic coast and that would play a huge role with regards to the eventual path of Tropical Depression 16 /future Nate.

I think that particular Euro run showing the split Energy may be taking place. It looks like there may be a piece of energy that is moving north along and off the East Coast of Florida. Should this be the case, this would have a very significant impact with future Nate later this weekend.A weakened HP ridge off the SE Atlantic coast would draw potential TC Nate more northeast with time and would likely eliminate areas from Pensacola westward from being directly impacted by the cyclone.

Aric - What do you make of the information in the above post?
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#210 Postby tolakram » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:10 am

Aric Dunn wrote:At this point it is going to cross over passed the shear axis. Not sure if that would support convection... but i guess it worked for Lee.. so who knows..

It needs a lot more than convection. :)

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=gulf-02-24-1-100
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#211 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:15 am

flamingosun wrote:
northjaxpro wrote:Levi Cowan yesterday showed the model run from Euro from Wednesday in which some piece of vorticity split off from the large axis. Early this morning, it appears that a portion of this system is drifting north along off the Southeast Florida East Coast, and the other split energy is the energy we currently see down near Key West that will move into the Gulf of Mexico. The emphasis here with Levi with pointing out that that a piece of energy that was shown on Euro to split off, one piece of vorticity which went north off the east coast of Florida, would keep that ridge of high pressure weak off the Florida Atlantic coast and that would play a huge role with regards to the eventual path of Tropical Depression 16 /future Nate.

I think that particular Euro run showing the split Energy may be taking place. It looks like there may be a piece of energy that is moving north along and off the East Coast of Florida. Should this be the case, this would have a very significant impact with future Nate later this weekend.A weakened HP ridge off the SE Atlantic coast would draw potential TC Nate more northeast with time and would likely eliminate areas from Pensacola westward from being directly impacted by the cyclone.

Aric - What do you make of the information in the above post?

well clearly some energy is lifting north due to the divergence and slightly lower surface pressure along with it. it will all play a role on NATE's path. but the real big factor is the Noname systems position and orginization.. it does not even have to be classified just maintain its current circulation and stay south affecting nate pulling it north
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#212 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:17 am

tolakram wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:At this point it is going to cross over passed the shear axis. Not sure if that would support convection... but i guess it worked for Lee.. so who knows..

It needs a lot more than convection. :)

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=gulf-02-24-1-100

haha well yeah but it is closed..... that is what I was saying wondering about. if it catches up to the shear axis and passes over ( similar to what lee did when it regenerated) will there be enough low level convergence to overcome the lack of upper divergence in that region. this is of course assuming the trough/upper low does not fill in and there is something to cross over into.. lol
1 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#213 Postby northjaxpro » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:24 am

Flamingosun, were you questioning the info I posted regarding Levi Cowan's video from yesterday?

The video was posted on his site Tropical Tidbits. The way you were asking Aric was seemingly to question what I posted.

Let me make one thing very clear. I absolutely would NEVER. EVER mislead anyone on this site about anything I do post on this site. Period!! I have been a member too long on this site to ever do such a thing. I take extreme offense to even the thought of this!!
Last edited by northjaxpro on Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
1 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#214 Postby Blown Away » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:25 am

Weak circulation SW of KW...
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05...
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

flamingosun
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#215 Postby flamingosun » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:44 am

northjaxpro wrote:Flamingosun, were you questioning the info I posted regarding Levi Cowan's video from yesterday?

The video was posted on his site Tropical Tidbits. The way you were asking Aric was seemingly to question what I posted.

Let me make one thing very clear. I absolutely would NEVER. EVER mislead anyone on this site about anything I do post on this site. Period!! I have been a member too long on this site to ever do such a thing. I take extreme offense to even the thought of this!!

Just asking for another opinion / explanation. Guess I need to be more careful of how I phrase questions in the future... or just refrain from asking at all.
If this 'energy' might be lifting north along the E coast of FL, I wanted to learn more, since that's towards us.
Sorry if the way I asked offended you. That would never be my intention. Please accept my apology.
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#216 Postby northjaxpro » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:09 am

I accept your sincere apology. I have great appreciation for this site and respect to all others who are regular members and visitors to Storm2K.

Thank you for coming forward to offer a very gracious apology Flamingosun!! 8-)
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#217 Postby EquusStorm » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:38 am

Still a very interesting lil' swirl this morning. Meteorology is fascinating.

2 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#218 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:36 pm

If this system absorbs Nate and subsequently (or concurrently) forms an LLC, would it still be Nate or would it be Ophelia in that situation?
1 likes   

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#219 Postby Nimbus » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:36 pm

Its got some dry shear mid gulf but the SST's are high enough and there is a pressure gradient.
Tiny vort like that will probably escape notice.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#220 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:46 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:If this system absorbs Nate and subsequently (or concurrently) forms an LLC, would it still be Nate or would it be Ophelia in that situation?

well first off it is very closed and rather expansinve now (much larger circ then yesterday. ) so it would be a seperate system to start.. if nate magically died over land and got absored then it would be the next name..

it is also heading into a more divergent upper pattern briefly so convection should come back but of course still sheared..
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”