Should the Western Pacific implement a new naming system?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

Should the Western Pacific implement a new naming system?

#1 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:48 am

The Western North Pacific is the most active tropical cyclone basin in the entire world, with about 26 storms on average existing in a typical year. Within the basin, countries such as the Philippines, China, South Korea and Japan are frequently hit by typhoons. The aforementioned countries are among the most vulnerable countries to tropical cyclone strikes. Storms leave a huge mark to my country, in particular, leaving deaths and destructions in its wake.

I suggest a new tropical cyclone naming system familiar to typical citizens with less enlightment on the topic, and easy to remember for years to come. I have two proposals, either one may be more feasible than the other. It's an idea I thought of with the opinion of some people including my grandfather, directly affected by Haiyan. This may also abolish the need of PAGASA having to rename tropical cyclones entering the Philippine Area of Responsibility. Western names (Especially Spanish and English, extremely orthodox in Southeast Asia) would dominate, with the possibility of some common Asian names to serve as replacements. Note some, even retired, names may be existing from old/current Atlantic lists, as well as Pacific. Retired Western Pacific names are not present, but names like Hugo and Frances are here.

The first proposal is relatively similar to the NHC's current system with a few additional names. Q, X and Z can not be retired. No letters from would be omitted. In case of exhaustion, the Greek alphabet would be used.

List 1: Alexa, Bartolo, Catalina, David, Etta, Franco, Gwen, Harry, Isabel, James, Kyla, Lucas, Melinda, Nicolas, Odessa, Pancho, Queenie, Raul, Samantha, Tomas, Uriah, Vincent, Winona, Xander, Yvette, Zeb

List 2: Alan, Bailey, Charley, Dana, Eli, Freya, Gaspar, Heidi, Ivan, Joan, Keith, Leticia, Matías, Nadia, Ogden, Penelope, Quincy, Ruby, Stephen, Tiara, Ulric, Veronica, Wallace, Xandra, Yuri, Zoe

List 3: Angela, Brian, Chloé, Damian, Ellen, Forrest, Gilda, Hugo, Ilene, Jason, Kirsten, Leonard, Maria, Nelson, Odette, Patrick, Qadira, Ryan, Sasha, Théo, Uma, Vernon, Wilda, Xavier, Yates, Zachary

List 4: Adam, Brenda, Craig, Doris, Eduardo, Frances, Gavin, Hazel, Irving, Jane, Kenny, Lucía, Manolo, Nancy, Oliver, Phoebe, Quinn, Raquel, Santiago, Therese, Ulysses, Victoria, Wade, Ximena, Yusuf, Zara

List 5: Adeline, Brad, Camila, Diego, Eunice, Felix, Georgina, Henry, Ina, Justin, Kathleen, Luis, Maryam, Nathan, Opal, Pedro, Querida, Ruben, Salma, Taylor, Ursula, Viktor, Winnie, Xyriel, Yvonne, Zayn

List 6: Antonio, Bianca, Crispin, Doreen, Ethan, Fatima, Gerardo, Helena, Inigo, Juana, Klyde, Lili, Malik, Natalie, Orlando, Phyllis, Quentin, Riley, Sid, Trixie, Umar, Virginia, Wesley, Xinyi, Yohan, Zita

This may not be practicable, given the activity of the basin For this to be feasible, the Western Pacific may have to reduce its delimitations, expanding the names to be used by the CPHC, but storms would be considered typhoons with Hawaiian names. This would reduce the need to entirely refresh the lists every few years, as such was the case in the 1980s and 1990s.

List 1: Alexa, Bartolo, Catalina, David, Etta, Franco, Gwen, Harry, Isabel, James, Kyla, Lucas, Melinda, Nicolas, Odessa, Pancho, Ruby, Stephen, Tiara, Vincent, Winona, Yuri, Zoe

List 2: Alan, Bailey, Charley, Dana, Eli, Freya, Gaspar, Heidi, Ivan, Joan, Keith, Leticia, Matías, Nadia, Ogden, Penelope, Raul, Samantha, Tomas, Veronica, Wallace, Yvette, Zeb

List 3: Angela, Brian, Chloé, Damian, Ellen, Forrest, Gilda, Hugo, Ilene, Jason, Kirsten, Leonard, Maria, Nelson, Odette, Patrick, Raquel, Santiago, Therese, Vernon, Wilda, Yusuf, Zara

List 4: Adam, Brenda, Craig, Doris, Eduardo, Frances, Gavin, Hazel, Irving, Jane, Kenny, Louise, Manolo, Nancy, Oliver, Phoebe, Ryan, Sasha, Théo, Victoria, Wade, Yates, Zachary

List 5: Adeline, Brad, Camila, Diego, Eunice, Felix, Georgina, Henry, Ina, Jimmy, Kathleen, Luis, Maryam, Nathan, Opal, Pedro, Riley, Sid, Trixie, Viktor, Winnie, Yohan, Zita

List 6: Antonio, Bianca, Crispin, Doreen, Ethan, Fatima, Gerardo, Helena, Inigo, Juana, Klyde, Lili, Malik, Natalie, Orlando, Phyllis, Ruben, Salma, Taylor, Virginia, Wesley, Yvonne, Zayn
Last edited by xtyphooncyclonex on Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:19 am, edited 8 times in total.
2 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

404UserNotFound
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re: Should the Western Pacific implement a new naming system?

#2 Postby 404UserNotFound » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:19 pm

I seem to remember reading that the naming list was changed in 2000 when the JMA took over responsibility because the old list was too Anglo-centric.
2 likes   
Please note: Never take any statements I make about forecasts at face value, as I am nowhere near professional at that.

AJC3
Admin
Admin

#3 Postby AJC3 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:38 pm

404UserNotFound wrote:I seem to remember reading that the naming list was changed in 2000 when the JMA took over responsibility because the old list was too Anglo-centric.

Exactly. Those name lists won't even come close to flying. Several nations contribute to the current WPAC name lists, which do not follow the order of the English alphabetic system, possibly because the native languages of said nations don't either (?).
0 likes   

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby 1900hurricane » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:45 pm

I actually very much like the WPac naming lists the way they are currently. All the countries on the Typhoon Committee get to contribute to the names and the naming lists resume right where they left off the previous season, meaning all the names get used. I'm not sure there is going to be any changes to the tropical cyclone naming schemes around the world anytime soon, but if there are, I'd actually like to see them move more towards the current WPac model.
2 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby euro6208 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:45 am

This new naming system is only 17 years old and is just fine.

But i do miss seeing strong typhoons with english names (Prior to 2000). :lol:
0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

NWS for the Western Pacific

https://www.weather.gov/gum/

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:58 pm

But interesting to note: Western names are used predominantly in places like Hong Kong, Japan, Malaysia and most especially in my home country, the Philippines.

IMO, the WMO should consider giving storms with mostly French (Indochina countries like Vietnam), English (Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong) and Spanish/Portuguese (Macao, Philippines, Micronesia, Guam) names since they are extremely common and recognizable compared to the current system. I may alter some names then. Chinese and some common (not controversial) Asian names would also be used.
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

Digital-TC-Chaser

#7 Postby Digital-TC-Chaser » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:55 pm

PI Islands is the second-largest English-speaking country in the world however
most of the the other asian countries do not. They speak singlish It's english mixed with chinese expressions or words Best alway left as it is now not that it would ever change too a traditional english alphabet format anyway. Pie in the sky stuff here.
2 likes   

NotoSans
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby NotoSans » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:17 am

Of course in Hong Kong having an English nickname is very common but most of the people here refer to the Chinese translation when it comes to Typhoon names (Chinese is our mother language, after all) even before 2000 when the old list is used. And I can say sometimes the Chinese translation for English names can be really weird. And for Japan I don’t think English names are that widely used, nor is it the case for South Korea or mainland China.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to RSMC and NWS products.

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:01 am

Digital-TC-Chaser wrote:PI Islands is the second-largest English-speaking country in the world however
most of the the other asian countries do not. They speak singlish It's english mixed with chinese expressions or words Best alway left as it is now not that it would ever change too a traditional english alphabet format anyway. Pie in the sky stuff here.

It's very noticeable here, nearly everything in the malls are in English---from menus, signs, posters, etc. All of the top 20 most common surnames, however, are Spanish. The most common given names are a blend of Spanish and English names. (John, Carlo, Maria, Daniel, etc.)
0 likes   

wxmann_91
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby wxmann_91 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:09 am

1900hurricane wrote:I actually very much like the WPac naming lists the way they are currently. All the countries on the Typhoon Committee get to contribute to the names and the naming lists resume right where they left off the previous season, meaning all the names get used. I'm not sure there is going to be any changes to the tropical cyclone naming schemes around the world anytime soon, but if there are, I'd actually like to see them move more towards the current WPac model.

Strongly agree. No problems with Greek letters in the WPAC. Whereas in the Atlantic, had STS 26 been caught operationally, Wilma would have been Alpha... and that would've been just weird.
2 likes   

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby euro6208 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:31 am

wxmann_91 wrote:
1900hurricane wrote:I actually very much like the WPac naming lists the way they are currently. All the countries on the Typhoon Committee get to contribute to the names and the naming lists resume right where they left off the previous season, meaning all the names get used. I'm not sure there is going to be any changes to the tropical cyclone naming schemes around the world anytime soon, but if there are, I'd actually like to see them move more towards the current WPac model.

Strongly agree. No problems with Greek letters in the WPAC. Whereas in the Atlantic, had STS 26 been caught operationally, Wilma would have been Alpha... and that would've been just weird.

I'd love to see the Atlantic follow the WPAC. The U.S, countries, and islands contributing. It will make me learn alot about the foreign languages over there. :D
0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

NWS for the Western Pacific

https://www.weather.gov/gum/

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”