2018 WPAC Season

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2018 WPAC Season

#261 Postby euro6208 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:21 am

1 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

NWS for the Western Pacific

https://www.weather.gov/gum/

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#262 Postby euro6208 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:05 pm

Very strong long range...

0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

doomhaMwx
Category 5
Category 5

#263 Postby doomhaMwx » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:52 pm

I have seen some on social media having issues with the next storm name here in the WPac, which is "Maria". We all know of the powerful and devastating Maria of last year's Atlantic Hurricane Season.
WMO has removed some names from the WPac naming list before due to some other reasons, such as religion-related and misspellings. The name "Vicente" was even removed/replaced to avoid potential confusion since that name also appears on the EPac naming list.

I agree that the name Maria in the WPac (and in any other basin, if there is) should be skipped/removed/replaced. What do the others think?
By the way, the name has been contributed by the USA.
Last edited by doomhaMwx on Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Like my content? Consider giving a tip.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#264 Postby cycloneye » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:56 pm

For me is very easy to answer.No more Maria naming in other basins after what occured in Dominica and where I am.
4 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

JoshwaDone
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#265 Postby JoshwaDone » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:45 am

I also agree with that. Surprisingly, in the EPac basin, "Yolanda" is on the list and we remember how destructive and powerful Yolanda was when it slammed into central Philippines.
1 likes   

JoshwaDone
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#266 Postby JoshwaDone » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:56 am

0 likes   

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#267 Postby 1900hurricane » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:03 am

It's getting to be that time of year. Climatologically speaking, the Mei-yu clears out in early July, which coincides with a large jump in ACE and PDI as we head towards the heart of the WPac season.

1 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#268 Postby cycloneye » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:23 pm

@MJVentrice
Indications in the ECMWF EPS for a strong typhoon to spin up over the West Pacific later this week into next week. Also take note of the recurvature of Typhoon Prapiroon over the next few days.

https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/1013517480998957059

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#269 Postby euro6208 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:37 am

JoshwaDone wrote:anyways 10 days from now

GFS:
https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... pac_41.png

ECMWF:

Yup Pre-Maria. Thread is here.

91W THREAD
0 likes   

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#270 Postby euro6208 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:38 am

Son-Tinh keeps getting pushed back but still there...

0 likes   

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#271 Postby euro6208 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:09 am

Imran_doomhaMwx wrote:I have seen some on social media having issues with the next storm name here in the WPac, which is "Maria". We all know of the powerful and devastating Maria of last year's Atlantic Hurricane Season.
WMO has removed some names from the WPac naming list before due to some other reasons, such as religion-related and misspellings. The name "Vicente" was even removed/replaced to avoid potential confusion since that name also appears on the EPac naming list.

I agree that the name Maria in the WPac (and in any other basin, if there is) should be skipped/removed/replaced. What do the others think?

I say NO. Maria has been used in the WPAC since 2000...Long before the tragedy...
0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#272 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:59 am

euro6208 wrote:
Imran_doomhaMwx wrote:I have seen some on social media having issues with the next storm name here in the WPac, which is "Maria". We all know of the powerful and devastating Maria of last year's Atlantic Hurricane Season.

I say NO. Maria has been used in the WPAC since 2000...Long before the tragedy...

It should be removed. It's repetitive.

The name HAIYAN was used long before the tragedy too.
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#273 Postby euro6208 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:31 am

With el nino looming, can we finally get something traversing those untapped waters from the P.I sea to the dateline?
0 likes   

mrbagyo
Category 5
Category 5

#274 Postby mrbagyo » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:14 pm

xtyphooncyclonex wrote:
euro6208 wrote:

It should be removed. It's repetitive.

The name HAIYAN was used long before the tragedy too.

I agree that it should be retired from all basin. (Universal retirement)

Anyway, I would just add one example of a retired Pacific Typhoon name that's being used in the Atlantic repetitively.

That award goes to Super Typhoon Karen of 1962 ( the most devastating and powerful typhoon ever to affect the island of Guam)
Despite the name being retired in WPAC, it's still being used in the Atlantic (5 times already since 1989 - mostly on weak, pathetic storms).

Maybe the rationale is that Maria is not memorable and damaging enough in the WPAC basin to be retired - same goes for Karen in the Atlantic.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to RSMC, NHC and NWS products.

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#275 Postby 1900hurricane » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:41 pm

I personally have no preference. I think the geographic distance (literally half way around the world) may alleviate some of the notoriety issues associated with the name, but I would completely understand if it were removed.

The case is a little different from a name like Vicente, which resides on the EPac lists. It's rare, but EPac systems have the potential to cross into the WPac, which leads to the potential for two storms of the same name to exist in the same basin and season. 1997 actually had a duplicate name exist between the two sides of the Pacific (Linda), though thankfully they kept to their sides of the International Date Line.
2 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

Calasanjy
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#276 Postby Calasanjy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:06 pm

Especially since this (10W) is threatening land and may be strong, I wish they would skip to "Son-Tinh" or use another name provided by the USA. It would be odd and rather confusing to have two major storms named "Maria" within a year of each other, in my humble opinion.

I was glad that the South Pacific decided not to use "Odile" in 2015 and changed the name to "Ola" instead, given that there was a destructive Hurricane Odile in the Eastern Pacific the prior year. Of course, they (Fiji) have changed a number of names to the name of the SPac replacement list for no stated reason lately (at least that I know of) but I was glad for that one and wish the JMA would do something similar here. We shall see...
1 likes   

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#277 Postby 1900hurricane » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:36 pm

I'm not 100% sure of this, but I don't think the JMA has explicit control of the names on the list, just when they are used. I believe the Typhoon Committee has that power. The way names are retired probably wouldn't allow an in-season name retirement for a case like this. The Typhoon Committee meets once a year to retire a name, but a replacement name isn't picked until a year later (reference this thread). Even if Maria was retired at the last meeting, a replacement name wouldn't be ready. There is no alternate naming list either, and skipping a name outright would be skipping a country's contribution, which could be tricky from a political slant.
0 likes   

NotoSans
Category 5
Category 5

#278 Postby NotoSans » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:00 pm

IMO the US should have proposed to retire the name "Maira" during the last Typhoon Committee's meeting and submitted a new name immediately. That's what happened to Vicente as well IIRC. Since the US have not done so, however, we are stuck with Maria being the next name rn.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to RSMC and NWS products.

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#279 Postby 1900hurricane » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:04 pm

Did not know that, thanks for that info.
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#280 Postby SFLcane » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:16 am

Last edited by SFLcane on Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”