I am back after Maria

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: I am back after Maria

#41 Postby cycloneye » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:46 am

Situation in Puerto Rico is still far from normal 4 months after Maria as almost half of the island continues without power and thousands are still without a home that has been repaired and many are still without a blue roof tarp.

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#42 Postby cycloneye » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:44 pm

Latest numbers about the recovery efforts by the corp of engineers of U.S as of Febuary 2.Still almost 500,000 customers or 30% are without power especially the SE part of the island.

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#43 Postby cycloneye » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:56 pm

Even thou,there have been improvements in terms of more people with power,still a little more than 25% of costumers are without electricity.

1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#44 Postby cycloneye » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:06 pm

One month after I posted the last Febuary update by the US corp of engineers,the progress towards recovery is good but still around 250,000 clients are without power.The SE part of the island continues to be the area that has the more homes without power.

0 likes   

StruThiO
Category 3
Category 3

#45 Postby StruThiO » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:21 pm

cycloneye wrote:One month after I posted the last Febuary update by the US corp of engineers,the progress towards recovery is good but still around 250,000 clients are without power.The SE part of the island continues to be the area that has the more homes without power.

It's been so many months for so many people, I cannot even imagine how terrible it must have been. Hopefully this hurricane season is either mellow or everything is steered away from our Caribbean friends. I am glad to see progress being made.
2 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#46 Postby cycloneye » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:59 pm

We are over 6 months after Maria strucked this island and you can see that the recovery still is not completed as still around 75,000 custumers dont have power and other things are happening such as what this press person says.

@Sean_Breslin
Puerto Rico has a huge mental health crisis on their hands six months after Hurricane Maria. Life on the island remains very difficult and depressing, especially for thousands who STILL don’t have power.

https://twitter.com/Sean_Breslin/status/978638470347395073

4 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#47 Postby cycloneye » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:00 pm

Good progress= This is great to see as the doppler radar is being reconstructed after Maria destroyed it. It should be in operation by June or July.

6 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#48 Postby cycloneye » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:46 pm

As I had been saying before,still many homes are with the blue tarps after almost 7 months of Maria so on this front,not a lot of advances have been made.

2 likes   

KAlexPR
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#49 Postby KAlexPR » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:39 pm

cycloneye wrote:Good progress= This is great to see as the doppler radar is being reconstructed after Maria destroyed it. It should be in operation by June or July.

https://i.imgur.com/Pj3w59I.jpg

Do you know if it will have any improvements over the radar present before Maria?
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#50 Postby cycloneye » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:44 pm

KAlexPR wrote:
cycloneye wrote:Good progress= This is great to see as the doppler radar is being reconstructed after Maria destroyed it. It should be in operation by June or July.

https://i.imgur.com/Pj3w59I.jpg

Do you know if it will have any improvements over the radar present before Maria?

It will be the same that was before Maria but dont know if some improvements will happen.
3 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#51 Postby cycloneye » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:55 pm

This is the reallity of what is going on at this time,less than 2 months before Hurricane Season starts.

@EricHolthaus
Hurricane season is just eight weeks away.

In Texas, Florida, Puerto Rico, and the Caribbean the pain from last season is still very real.

https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/982039363751235584

0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#52 Postby TheStormExpert » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:34 pm

1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

#53 Postby Kazmit » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:52 pm

I just heard about the blackout. The power grid situation in Puerto Rico is so unfortunate :( . I hope it gets restored soon.
1 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#54 Postby cycloneye » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:32 am

Finnally I am again back literaly after Maria because we revived the period after it passed that all of PR was in blackout.The blackout was caused by a contractor from Cobra that made the wrong excavation and affected the main power line that runs from Aguirre to Aguas Buenas. Still before the blackout occured around 10:26 AM AST 45,000 clients have not been with power after Irma and Maria.By the way,that company Cobra was boosted from working again and the Governor said legal actions will be taken. PR lost plenty of $$$$$ with this event.
4 likes   

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#55 Postby OuterBanker » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:00 am

cycloneye wrote:Finnally I am again back literaly after Maria because we revived the period after it passed that all of PR was in blackout.The blackout was caused by a contractor from Cobra that made the wrong excavation and affected the main power line that runs from Aguirre to Aguas Buenas. Still before the blackout occured around 10:26 AM AST 45,000 clients have not been with power after Irma and Maria.By the way,that company Cobra was boosted from working again and the Governor said legal actions will be taken. PR lost plenty of $$$$$ with this event.

Yes cycloneye, saw the blackout mentioned on the national news this am.

I'm just puzzled on how one excavator incident can knock out power for the whole country.

Really! Maybe you need to rethink the contractor.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#56 Postby cycloneye » Thu May 03, 2018 1:21 pm

OuterBanker wrote:
cycloneye wrote:Finnally I am again back literaly after Maria because we revived the period after it passed that all of PR was in blackout.The blackout was caused by a contractor from Cobra that made the wrong excavation and affected the main power line that runs from Aguirre to Aguas Buenas. Still before the blackout occured around 10:26 AM AST 45,000 clients have not been with power after Irma and Maria.By the way,that company Cobra was boosted from working again and the Governor said legal actions will be taken. PR lost plenty of $$$$$ with this event.

Yes cycloneye, saw the blackout mentioned on the national news this am.

I'm just puzzled on how one excavator incident can knock out power for the whole country.

Really! Maybe you need to rethink the contractor.

The governor booted that contractor.Now the US corp of engineers with the local power company are doing the work to have the power back to those (Around 25,000) clients who after more than 7 months have not been with power.
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#57 Postby cycloneye » Fri May 04, 2018 2:05 pm

After I posted a pic at the "Trough near Bahamas" thread at 10:10 AM EDT there was a blackout (10:23 AM EDT) for parts of San Juan,Puerto Rico that lasted around three hours.The cause was a line in a substation that went off.What that means is the power grid in PR is still very unstable so we can expect more of these in the future until all is really fixed and new things are added to the grids.
3 likes   

StruThiO
Category 3
Category 3

#58 Postby StruThiO » Fri May 04, 2018 5:27 pm

cycloneye wrote:After I posted a pic at the "Trough near Bahamas" thread at 10:10 AM EDT there was a blackout (10:23 AM EDT) for parts of San Juan,Puerto Rico that lasted around three hours.The cause was a line in a substation that went off.What that means is the power grid in PR is still very unstable so we can expect more of these in the future until all is really fixed and new things are added to the grids.

That is NOT a good thing to be occurring as hurricane season nears, Luis. :cry:
1 likes   

boca
Category 5
Category 5

#59 Postby boca » Sat May 05, 2018 2:03 pm

I was just in Puerto Rico and San Juan looks to be getting back on track,but there are many places with tarps still on roofs and many schools under construction. The people of Puerto Rico are very nice and would go back there again.
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#60 Postby cycloneye » Sat May 05, 2018 2:57 pm

boca wrote:I was just in Puerto Rico and San Juan looks to be getting back on track,but there are many places with tarps still on roofs and many schools under construction. The people of Puerto Rico are very nice and would go back there again.

Yes,San Juan is almost restored and looks good but as you said,there are still many homes with the blue tarps in many parts of the island and of course the power grid continues fragile.
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”