2018 EPAC Season

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: 2018 EPAC Season

#721 Postby Yellow Evan » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:23 pm

FV3 develops only the second and barely at that and shows a strong hurricane behind this. I give up.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#722 Postby cycloneye » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:32 pm

12z ECMWF is very bullish for the 0/40.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#723 Postby Yellow Evan » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:35 pm

Okay, the 12z ECMWF doesn't really form the 10/60 anymore.

*me ragequits* I honestly prefer the 2009-2011 ECMWF and GFS that didn't spit out false alarms non-stop at this point...
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#724 Postby cycloneye » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:42 pm

This is 0/40.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#725 Postby CyclonicFury » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:09 pm

If the Eastern Pacific does not produce at least one tropical cyclone from these disturbances, that would certainly raise questions for what was originally expected to be an above average to hyperactive season. It's late July and there is a CCKW in the area, so it's a bit surprising that not one TC has formed yet from these disturbances. Reminds me of the Atlantic last August when we had three tropical waves being monitored for development, when only one developed (Harvey, which remained weak until it reached the Gulf of Mexico). A strong TUTT, as well as a late season SAL outbreak, kept the systems weak while in the MDR. That caused doubts among some that the season would be as active as predicted, but after Harvey rapidly intensified and Irma formed in the MDR, those doubts were quickly erased. It's way too soon to give up on this season, but I'm surprised the Eastern Pacific has not squeezed out at least one new TC this month yet.
4 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#726 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:15 pm

Yellow Evan wrote:Okay, the 12z ECMWF doesn't really form the 10/60 anymore.

*me ragequits* I honestly prefer the 2009-2011 ECMWF and GFS that didn't spit out false alarms non-stop at this point...

It's really irritating right now.

12z GFS has nothing, and the12z Euro has a weak long tracker that keeps getting pushed back. 10 days left before August starts. If no decent storm by then, it's season cancel for me.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#727 Postby CyclonicFury » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:22 pm

I wonder if the weakening of the +PMM pattern as well as the delayed onset of El Niño is responsible for the slow July in this basin.
1 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#728 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:30 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:I wonder if the weakening of the +PMM pattern as well as the delayed onset of El Niño is responsible for the slow July in this basin.

SST's look fine to me. Instability has been below average, and shear has been above average.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#729 Postby NotSparta » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:44 pm

:uarrow:

There's still a +PMM SST pattern, but it appears the atmospheric pattern has changed, which caused the original crash of the PMM, & the pause in ENSO region warming.

Appears the NAM has something to do w/ this too, seems its anticyclone is bolstering EP ULL activity.
0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

hurricanes1234
Category 5
Category 5

#730 Postby hurricanes1234 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:51 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:If the Eastern Pacific does not produce at least one tropical cyclone from these disturbances, that would certainly raise questions for what was originally expected to be an above average to hyperactive season. It's late July and there is a CCKW in the area, so it's a bit surprising that not one TC has formed yet from these disturbances. Reminds me of the Atlantic last August when we had three tropical waves being monitored for development, when only one developed (Harvey, which remained weak until it reached the Gulf of Mexico). A strong TUTT, as well as a late season SAL outbreak, kept the systems weak while in the MDR. That caused doubts among some that the season would be as active as predicted, but after Harvey rapidly intensified and Irma formed in the MDR, those doubts were quickly erased. It's way too soon to give up on this season, but I'm surprised the Eastern Pacific has not squeezed out at least one new TC this month yet.

Something about this season smells very 2010ish. Well above-average activity in June, followed by nothing in July? The only difference was Fabio existed mainly in July but it technically formed in June. Also, during its July existence, it struggled to intensify and ended up well below what was shown by the models.
0 likes   
PLEASE NOTE: With the exception of information from weather agencies that I may copy and paste here, my posts will NEVER be official, since I am NOT a meteorologist. They are solely my amateur opinion, and may or may not be accurate. Therefore, please DO NOT use them as official details, particularly when making important decisions. Thank you.

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#731 Postby NotSparta » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:56 pm

hurricanes1234 wrote:
CyclonicFury wrote:If the Eastern Pacific does not produce at least one tropical cyclone from these disturbances, that would certainly raise questions for what was originally expected to be an above average to hyperactive season. It's late July and there is a CCKW in the area, so it's a bit surprising that not one TC has formed yet from these disturbances. Reminds me of the Atlantic last August when we had three tropical waves being monitored for development, when only one developed (Harvey, which remained weak until it reached the Gulf of Mexico). A strong TUTT, as well as a late season SAL outbreak, kept the systems weak while in the MDR. That caused doubts among some that the season would be as active as predicted, but after Harvey rapidly intensified and Irma formed in the MDR, those doubts were quickly erased. It's way too soon to give up on this season, but I'm surprised the Eastern Pacific has not squeezed out at least one new TC this month yet.

Something about this season smells very 2010ish. Well above-average activity in June, followed by nothing in July? The only difference was Fabio existed mainly in July but it technically formed in June. Also, during its July existence, it struggled to intensify and ended up well below what was shown by the models.

I would be quite surprised to see a 2010 like season. It featured a strong La Niña & a strong -PDO, while this yr has a developing Niño & a +PMM. Maybe something is going on w/ the atmosphere that is suppressing the activity.
0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#732 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:57 pm

hurricanes1234 wrote:

Well 2010 was a pretty strong La Nina.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

hurricanes1234
Category 5
Category 5

#733 Postby hurricanes1234 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:57 pm

Yellow Evan wrote:FV3 develops only the second and barely at that and shows a strong hurricane behind this. I give up.

Personally I'm not putting much weight on the EPAC model runs this month because we've seen how much they can trump us, especially when they blow up all these phantom megacanes and then either they're dropped or don't come to pass.

I'll believe it when I see it.
0 likes   
PLEASE NOTE: With the exception of information from weather agencies that I may copy and paste here, my posts will NEVER be official, since I am NOT a meteorologist. They are solely my amateur opinion, and may or may not be accurate. Therefore, please DO NOT use them as official details, particularly when making important decisions. Thank you.

hurricanes1234
Category 5
Category 5

#734 Postby hurricanes1234 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:02 pm

Kingarabian wrote:
hurricanes1234 wrote:

Very true.

But even though ENSO is in a totally different state this year, the actual activity thus far (or better yet, the timing of that activity) resembles 2010 IMO with the hyperactive June followed by a lull lasting through much of July.

We'll see what August brings.
0 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#735 Postby Yellow Evan » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:18 pm

More so than the lack of activity that is bothering me is how worse the models are preforming. We've had hints for literally three weeks that next week would see higher activity yet the GFS and normally top teir ECMWF have continued to push development back. Seeing some push back isn't unusual as I've repeat many time a year that the they tend to move MJO/CCKW too fast, but I've never seen the models preform this badly before. I don't think the models have a good grip on the WPAC mess either.

I'm not ready to season cancel but the odds of an active season are starting to diminish. The EPAC has a broad peak and random stretches of little activity are not uncomon, even sometimes in 20+ named storms seasons. But there's really know telling when exactly it'll wake up. For all we know next week could be quite busy, and this basin could be on its feet again or everything else could be pushed back. Or we could get nothing in the next two weeks.

It's clear though that shear is higher than normal for now (and quite frankly, higher than I've ever really seen in recent seasons) but I shouldn't be too shocked given MJO isn't exactly in an ideal place. I will say (and this would explain some of the storm track problems) is the cold water in the SE Pacific, also known as SHEM -PDO, may be contributing to less favorable conditions aloft, however.
Last edited by Yellow Evan on Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#736 Postby Yellow Evan » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:25 pm

hurricanes1234 wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:
hurricanes1234 wrote:

Very true.

But even though ENSO is in a totally different state this year, the actual activity thus far (or better yet, the timing of that activity) resembles 2010 IMO with the hyperactive June followed by a lull lasting through much of July.

We'll see what August brings.

You're bringing this up because you are likely familiar with 2010 more so than most 20th century seasons but that unintentionally is a hyperbolic comparison IMO. Large intraseasonal variability in this basin is not unusual and it just happened to be that 2010 had the most favorable conditions in June (although strong La Nina did contribute to the basin shutting off early). If you're gonna make an inactive season in decent ENSO conditions during active era comparison, 1979 is a good one to make.
3 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#737 Postby Yellow Evan » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:55 pm

12z UKMET has basically nothing in the next seven days. Many EPS members quite bullish over the next 2 weeks, on the plus side.
1 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#738 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:59 pm

Yellow Evan wrote:12z UKMET has basically nothing in the next seven days. Many EPS members quite bullish over the next 2 weeks, on the plus side.

It pains me to see that the EPS has been WORSE than the operational Euro.

The EPS members have been clinging and been bullish on every single disturbance the past 2 weeks, and quite frankly nothing has developed.

The UKMET has been outstanding. While the GFS and Euro have been wrong about a number of disturbances so far, the UKMET didn't budge.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#739 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:25 pm

Maybe a decent window for development with better shear conditions, since the CFS shows 200mb easterlies returning over the EPAC. Easterlies @ 200mb indicates a conducive shear environment according to Carl Schreck.

0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#740 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:43 pm

Wind activity @ 200mb doesn't paint the entire upper level picture but it plays a big part.

And so far it has been far from conducive for TC development. Look at the difference now vs the beginning of the season:

By the beginning of August, shear conditions drastically improve:

Probably why models keep pushing back development.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”