2018 EPAC Season

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2018 EPAC Season

#1061 Postby 1900hurricane » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:33 am

Ntxw wrote:
1900hurricane wrote:As far as I am aware, the Tropical Eastern Pacific has no official hyperactive definition like the NAtl does.

165% of median I think is the ATL. I just take a similar ballpark and given the higher average activity in the EPAC, 200+ units is usually a good round number for me.

Yeah, that's pretty close. Using the 115 unit median Wiki gave me, hyperactive in the EPac would be about 190 units using the same scaling.
3 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#1062 Postby cycloneye » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:53 am

From Norman Discussion.

Norman has become the 5th category 4
hurricane in the eastern Pacific in 2018 and is also the strongest
hurricane in the basin so far this season.
2 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1063 Postby Ntxw » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:02 am

cycloneye wrote:From Norman Discussion.

Norman has become the 5th category 4
hurricane in the eastern Pacific in 2018 and is also the strongest
hurricane in the basin so far this season.

NHC is forecasting cat 5 for this tonight. Would be second 5 of the season, one could make arguments Hector at one point may have been a 5.
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

shiny-pebble
Category 1
Category 1

#1064 Postby shiny-pebble » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:30 am

What's the most amount of C5's a season has had?

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
0 likes   
Not an meteorologist! Just someone who is interested in weather. Please refer to the NHC and local weather officials to make decisions.
-Jack 8-)

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1065 Postby Yellow Evan » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:33 am

shiny-pebble wrote:What's the most amount of C5's a season has had?

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Three, in both 1994 and 2002.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#1066 Postby cycloneye » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:47 pm

Disorganized showers and thunderstorms located several hundred miles
southwest of the southwestern coast of Mexico are associated with an
area of low pressure. Environmental conditions are expected to be
conducive for gradual development, and a tropical depression is
likely to form this weekend or early next week while the system
moves west-northwestward away from the coast of Mexico.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...medium...40 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...high...80 percent.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1067 Postby Kingarabian » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:54 pm

I believe there's a strong case for Hector to be upgraded to Cat.5 in the offseason. Norman is at or just borderline Cat.5 right now.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Chris90
Category 2
Category 2

#1068 Postby Chris90 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:04 pm

Kingarabian wrote:I believe there's a strong case for Hector to be upgraded to Cat.5 in the offseason. Norman is at or just borderline Cat.5 right now.

I agree. Hector's presentation at the end of his time in the EPAC, and the beginning of his time in the CPAC was truly fantastic. That annular structure was top notch, and to me, the recon data supports a bump to 140kts. I know the highest unflagged SFMR was 137kts, but there was a flagged 149kts, as well as a flagged 153kts. I'd personally use those to bump the final peak intensity to 140kts.

If Hector gets the bump up and Norman reaches Cat 5 later today, that would put us at 3 total so far. In Pacific seasons like this, quite frequently the strongest storm of the season doesn't come along until October (Kenna, Rick, Patricia). Eric Blake mentioned the possibility of getting to the Greek alphabet on Twitter, so could this be the Pacific's 2005 and we'll get a 4th Cat 5 in October that is the strongest of the season?

Interesting to note, in 2005 the first Cat 5 of the season was Emily, and operationally she was only recognized as a Cat 4, just like Hector is currently.
Also, that year all the Cat 5 storms had female names. So far, all the Cat 5 or potential Cat 5 storms have had male names. Could Vicente, Xavier, or Zeke be #4?
3 likes   
Solar Aquarian
Lunar Cancerian
:uarrow: Sagittarian

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#1069 Postby DioBrando » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:35 pm

Chris90 wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:I believe there's a strong case for Hector to be upgraded to Cat.5 in the offseason. Norman is at or just borderline Cat.5 right now.

I agree. Hector's presentation at the end of his time in the EPAC, and the beginning of his time in the CPAC was truly fantastic. That annular structure was top notch, and to me, the recon data supports a bump to 140kts. I know the highest unflagged SFMR was 137kts, but there was a flagged 149kts, as well as a flagged 153kts. I'd personally use those to bump the final peak intensity to 140kts.

If Hector gets the bump up and Norman reaches Cat 5 later today, that would put us at 3 total so far. In Pacific seasons like this, quite frequently the strongest storm of the season doesn't come along until October (Kenna, Rick, Patricia). Eric Blake mentioned the possibility of getting to the Greek alphabet on Twitter, so could this be the Pacific's 2005 and we'll get a 4th Cat 5 in October that is the strongest of the season?

Interesting to note, in 2005 the first Cat 5 of the season was Emily, and operationally she was only recognized as a Cat 4, just like Hector is currently.
Also, that year all the Cat 5 storms had female names. So far, all the Cat 5 or potential Cat 5 storms have had male names. Could Vicente, Xavier, or Zeke be #4?

Indeed the boys are taking away everything this year! They are outperforming the girls this year (with the exception of Aletta.)

I agree Hector was quite a handsome guy.
Which storm do you reckon was the best looking this year?
0 likes   
blonde stacey (xe/xem/xir)

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1070 Postby Kingarabian » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:41 pm

Warmer anomalies situated further north of the equator in association with the +PMM is creating an opportunity for stronger and more frequent long trackers this year.

Also peep the anomalies off of San Diego... Is this the year?
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#1071 Postby CyclonicFury » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:46 pm

Kingarabian wrote:Image

Warmer anomalies situated further north of the equator in association with the +PMM is creating an opportunity for stronger and more frequent long trackers this year.

SSTs near San Diego are currently only about 22C. It's highly unlikely we will see a hurricane make landfall in California any time soon. That warm anomaly may allow some storms to maintain convection farther north, however, and I think a Baja threat is possible at some point late in the season.
1 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1072 Postby Kingarabian » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:59 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:[img]https://i.imgur.com/jq6H0ff.png[img]

SSTs near San Diego are currently only about 22C. It's highly unlikely we will see a hurricane make landfall in California any time soon. That warm anomaly may allow some storms to maintain convection farther north, however, and I think a Baja threat is possible at some point late in the season.

Epsilon lasted a couple of days through 21-22C waters. It's doable just not very likely. Need a upperend Cat.4 recurving then turning annular. Can't have any shear as well.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1073 Postby Yellow Evan » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:00 pm

I mean this is the most realistic way for a storm to hit California but SST's don't support it. There's also a cool tongue of below average SST's protecting Baja California Sur.
1 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#1074 Postby DioBrando » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:02 pm

Trivial, but which storm was the most beautiful this year so far?
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1075 Postby Kingarabian » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:08 pm

DioBrando wrote:Trivial, but which storm was the most beautiful this year so far?

Hector due to its annular structure and size.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#1076 Postby DioBrando » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:11 pm

Kingarabian wrote:
DioBrando wrote:Trivial, but which storm was the most beautiful this year so far?

Hector due to its annular structure and size.

Bruhhhhhh 100% agreed, he was also round and thicc ;)
0 likes   

CaliforniaResident
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1077 Postby CaliforniaResident » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:40 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:Image

The SST off of San Diego exceeded 80F (26C?) earlier this summer. It has now cooled down into the low 70s but September is often our warmest month at the coast so it could spike back up into the upper 70s again sometime in September. If we do get a situation where a hurricane makes a very rapid NNW track parallel to Baja, I wouldn't rule out a landfalling TS on the Southern California coastline.
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#1078 Postby cycloneye » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:35 am

Showers and thunderstorms continue in association with a low
pressure system located several hundred miles south-southwest of
Manzanillo, Mexico. Gradual development of this system is
anticipated, and a tropical depression is likely to form within the
next couple of days while the system moves generally
west-northwestward, away from the coast of Mexico.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...high...70 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...high...90 percent.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1079 Postby Ntxw » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:10 am

Both GFS and Euro are pretty certain 91E will become Olivia and hint at Paul behind her. After that 8 names left on the list.
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1080 Postby Ntxw » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:03 am

EPAC has racked up about 162 units of ACE. Back in 2015 the EPAC was sitting at about 160 ACE units on and around this date. More ACE will be gained from Norman and then Olivia. However, in 2015 at this time the triplets (Jimena, Ignacio, Kilo) were piling on over 10-15 units of ACE per day for about a week all at the same time, and by the end of the first week of Sept sat over 200 units. Probably one of the most astonishing feats in any basin ACE wise for a short period of time. I don't think that benchmark will be reached this year that quickly, but perspective no less.
7 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”