2018 Tropics: Global Model Runs Discussion (Out to day 16)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Blinhart
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2018 Tropics: Global Model Runs Discussion (Out to day 16)

#1141 Postby Blinhart » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:30 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:
Blinhart wrote:Why hasn't anyone posted in here for so long?

Because we have Beryl and TD 3 in the Atlantic which the models never showed much.

Yeah but I remember when it didn't matter what, people would be posting pics of what the models show in 30 days. Just doesn't seem right.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1142 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:26 pm

Blinhart wrote:
CyclonicFury wrote:
Blinhart wrote:Why hasn't anyone posted in here for so long?

Because we have Beryl and TD 3 in the Atlantic which the models never showed much.

Yeah but I remember when it didn't matter what, people would be posting pics of what the models show in 30 days. Just doesn't seem right.

Hi Blinhart. The reason why this thread is not that active at the moment is because beyond Beryl and TD3, the models are not showing much. This thread is the most active when there's a system that models are picking up on in the mediam-long range and there's no disturbance or mention by the NHC yet. If there is a disturbance or a mention by the NHC, then they usually have their own separate threads to avoid confusion.
3 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

AJC3
Admin
Admin

#1143 Postby AJC3 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:25 pm

Blinhart wrote:Why hasn't anyone posted in here for so long? I thought it was stuck at the top of the forum???? Feel free to delete this moderators just couldn't find it.

Well, then, let me start something off here...

For the past couple days both the GFS and ECM have shown a large, robust tropical wave coming off Africa on Tuesday. The feature remains broad and weakly closed (at least in the SLP field), with a rather large vort envelope in the far eastern MDR through late Thursday, until it dampens out between 35-40W.

Voila! Something new to talk about in this thread. :D

10 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#1144 Postby cycloneye » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:18 pm

Levi Cowan has a new tool for HWRF.

@TropicalTidbits
Brand new version of HWRF was implemented today. 1.5 km inner nest. Here's the 12Z run rolling in now for #Chris:

https://twitter.com/TropicalTidbits/status/1016368735748349952

3 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

AJC3
Admin
Admin

#1145 Postby AJC3 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:26 pm

AJC3 wrote: Well, then, let me start something off here...

For the past couple days both the GFS and ECM have shown a large, robust tropical wave coming off Africa on Tuesday. The feature remains broad and weakly closed (at least in the SLP field), with a rather large vort envelope in the far eastern MDR through late Thursday, until it dampens out between 35-40W.

The emergence of this wave from the west coast of Africa will be coincident with another large Saharan dust outbreak. I strongly suspect this will be little more that a large, dusty gyre that will be mostly convectionless save for whatever attachment it may have with the ITCZ along its southern flank. No surprise here...
3 likes   

Blinhart
Category 5
Category 5

#1146 Postby Blinhart » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:23 pm

AJC3 wrote:
AJC3 wrote: Well, then, let me start something off here...

The emergence of this wave from the west coast of Africa will be coincident with another large Saharan dust outbreak. I strongly suspect this will be little more that a large, dusty gyre that will be mostly convectionless save for whatever attachment it may have with the ITCZ along its southern flank. No surprise here...

So there is not model support for the system that is over the center of Africa in that satellite pic.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1147 Postby chaser1 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:11 pm

No, not much model support...... but i'm not so sure that means all too much. Minimal model support for Beryl either. Past couple of years we've seen a degradation of model accuracy. I think if one wants to attempt to
use the various global models to some level of foresight, then I'd suggest looking at the 850mb level to at least see the models present those dynamic waves as they come off the African coastline. Take this link for instance, https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... 1012&fh=48 . The EURO clearly showing how pronounced this broad 850mb low is after about 48 hours. Sure, thereafter the EURO starts to open the wave up and weaken it. Check this out at 96 hr.s, an even more impressive new wave emerging off the African coast - https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... 1012&fh=96

The whole point being, the moment that one of these waves gains a bit of traction all of a sudden the models will miraculously start carrying that COC further into their longer range. Doesn't mean that nothing will form until the EURO or GFS decide to tell us. Those were the good 'ol days before the models were neutered LOL
1 likes   

AtlanticWind
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1148 Postby AtlanticWind » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:58 pm

Seems like we went from the old days that models developed everything, to the present when they develop almost nothing.
1 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1149 Postby Alyono » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:42 am

AtlanticWind wrote:Seems like we went from the old days that models developed everything, to the present when they develop almost nothing.

been worse. Models have developed phantoms while, except for Alberto, have failed to indicate development of actual TCs

However, I will say this, the ensembles did correctly pick up on Beryl. Ensembles had a 70% chance of development. Ensembles are the future. Human forecasts will go the way of DC electric current
4 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1150 Postby GCANE » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:18 am

A lot of LL Vort and some convection with this CV Wave.

1 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1151 Postby GCANE » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:22 am

06Z GFS has it as a surface low thru Sunday
Pretty much keeps the convection going thru mid Carib
0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1152 Postby GCANE » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:30 am

IMHO, models still suck for genesis and intensity forecasting.
However, they did exceptionally well with Beryl track.
1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#1153 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:58 am

Look out for a possible small sheared quick spin up off the SE coast the next 2 days.

convection and rotation is already there. some weak model support. could come near the coast of SC>
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1154 Postby northjaxpro » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:00 pm

:uarrow: WPC Surface Analysis at 16Z shows that weak surface reflection at 1018 mb off the SC coast.Good amount of north-northeasterly wind shear over the system currently though.

Worth watching for sure.
1 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#1155 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:50 am

It’s beyond 300hrs. and will likely be dropped at some point but I find it interesting that the GFS (recent 00z and 06z runs) tries to develop a wave currently over Nigeria in the Eastern GoM near the west coast of Florida.
2 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Siker
Category 4
Category 4

#1156 Postby Siker » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:55 pm

As was referenced in that thread that's now locked, potential for a potential coastal hugger in the NE Gulf / off the SE coast late this week. Modest EPS support for this:

1 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1157 Postby AnnularCane » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:03 pm

I've been hearing talk on the local weather about something coming up from the Gulf and making us rainy by the weekend. I guess this must be it? This is the first time I've heard anything about it outside the local weather.
0 likes   

Siker
Category 4
Category 4

#1158 Postby Siker » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:13 pm

AnnularCane wrote:I've been hearing talk on the local weather about something coming up from the Gulf and making us rainy by the weekend. I guess this must be it? This is the first time I've heard anything about it outside the local weather.

That would be this yes. It's left behind by a trough that passes through on Wednesday, then gets dragged over the coastal Southeast and eventually the Northeast by another trough over the weekend. Just a non-tropical low on the operational Euro, but transition to a tropical system would be possible if it stays far enough away from land.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#1159 Postby wxman57 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:41 pm

Looks like a big dust storm moving off the west coast of Africa on Wednesday. Generally, there is surface convergence west of and south of such SAL outbreaks. Tiny Beryl formed in that region along the leading edge of a SAL outbreak. In this case, it will more likely be a big dust vortex.

0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1160 Postby tolakram » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:55 pm

hurricanedude wrote:
Siker wrote:As was referenced in that thread that's now locked, potential for a potential coastal hugger in the NE Gulf / off the SE coast late this week. Modest EPS support for this:

Yep...was my post....i did not break the rules...as there was some model support...but whatever

You don't need model support, you need a system or area of disturbed weather. 'No model storm threads are allowed' is the rule we stick too. You can make a thread about a disturbed area of weather with or without model support, but no thread about a modeled storm until the area of disturbed weather the models are supporting exists. Until then this is the place for model discussions. :)
4 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”