2018 Tropics: Global Model Runs Discussion (Out to day 16)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2018 Tropics: Global Model Runs Discussion (Out to day 16)

#2041 Postby LarryWx » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:25 pm

I think there is enough of a threat now to consider starting a new thread addressing early Oct Caribbean potential TC so it doesn’t clutter up this thread. I mean we don’t even have a discussion thread for this yet as the remnants of Kirk thread may not be the best place to discuss it. Opinions?

Meanwhile, I think that one feature that shouldn’t be overlooked is for a residual Leslie trough being left behind for a time south of Bermuda even after she finally moves NE. This residual trough may delay a rebuild of ridging south of Bermuda long enough to maintain a steering influencing weakness there long enough to be the primary reason any Caribbean low may initially lift out E of FL instead of into the Gulf. Remember that it often doesn’t take much of a 500 mb level weakness to attract a TC. Even something as subtle as this can easily do it. Example: Anyone remember Jose’s residual trough off the NE US that was just enough to keep Maria from threatening NC like some models had been showing?
Last edited by LarryWx on Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2042 Postby gatorcane » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:32 pm

The GFS is finally unstuck and we see monster east coast ridging that turns the Caribbean system west in the Bahamas:

0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#2043 Postby LarryWx » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:39 pm

gatorcane wrote:The GFS is finally unstuck and we see monster east coast ridging that turns the Caribbean system west in the Bahamas:

https://i.postimg.cc/W3BdDp5v/gfs_z500a_Norm_watl_30.png

Gator and others,
That slight relative 500 mb weakness on your map south of Bermuda, which is residual from Leslie, may very well be a key feature to determine whether any Car low initially gets pulled up E or W of FL. The model runs, including earlier FV3 and GFS runs, pulling it up E of FL are keying on that to delay the rebuilding ridging there long enough to pull it up E of FL before either continuing N and staying E of the US or turning back into the Carolinas.
Last edited by LarryWx on Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2044 Postby toad strangler » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:41 pm

12z GFS splits the vorticity in the Bahamas into two as if chopped in half. One goes W into the GOM towards S TX and Mexico and the other E into the open Atlantic. :spam:
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#2045 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:47 pm

GFS Gobbledygook is back... lol
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#2046 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:48 pm

the JMA has been very consistent with keeping the KIRK vorticity as the main feature. similar to the ICON again.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#2047 Postby LarryWx » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:04 pm

The 12Z FV3 illustrates quite well the forecasting nightmare that may be ahead and may last a long time. The run once again leaves behind a residual Leslie related 500 mb weakness long enough to attract Caribbean energy up E of FL on 10/9 instead of into the Gulf. Afterward, the very strong MidAtlantic states ridge gets established and traps it just off the SE US coast 3 days before finally moving NE OTS 10/13-14.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2048 Postby gatorcane » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:22 pm

12Z Euro shows more consolidation in the Western Caribbean at 120 hours:

0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#2049 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:23 pm

12z EUro looking much much more realistic out to 120 hours.. typically after this point thing go a crap.

but at least it is one defined circ this time . :)
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2050 Postby gatorcane » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:28 pm

JMA shows gradual organization heading north:

0 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2051 Postby toad strangler » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:32 pm

12z Euro splits vorticity at 144

0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#2052 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:37 pm

and more Gobbledygook.. :P so we wait now until we have some solid convection for models to latch onto. couple more days.
0 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#2053 Postby AutoPenalti » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:39 pm

We won’t receive consistent runs with these monsoonal gyres until an actual center is formed.

Usually these take their sweet time to produce some form of genesis. These really drive me nuts.
Last edited by AutoPenalti on Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2054 Postby toad strangler » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:43 pm

Euro 500mb setup closes the Leslie weakness much more than GFS
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#2055 Postby cycloneye » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:45 pm

LarryWx wrote:I think there is enough of a threat now to consider starting a new thread addressing early Oct Caribbean potential TC so it doesn’t clutter up this thread. I mean we don’t even have a discussion thread for this yet as the remnants of Kirk thread may not be the best place to discuss it. Opinions?

Meanwhile, I think that one feature that shouldn’t be overlooked is for a residual Leslie trough being left behind for a time south of Bermuda even after she finally moves NE. This residual trough may delay a rebuild of ridging south of Bermuda long enough to maintain a steering influencing weakness there long enough to be the primary reason any Caribbean low may initially lift out E of FL instead of into the Gulf. Remember that it often doesn’t take much of a 500 mb level weakness to attract a TC. Even something as subtle as this can easily do it. Example: Anyone remember Jose’s residual trough off the NE US that was just enough to keep Maria from threatening NC like some models had been showing?

I will consult with the fellow admins about your point of a new thread.As you know,we have the two reasons for a new area of interest thread to be up.

1- Incipient disturbance
2- Mentioned in TWO.
3 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#2056 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:47 pm

cycloneye wrote:
LarryWx wrote:I think there is enough of a threat now to consider starting a new thread addressing early Oct Caribbean potential TC so it doesn’t clutter up this thread. I mean we don’t even have a discussion thread for this yet as the remnants of Kirk thread may not be the best place to discuss it. Opinions?

I will consult with the fellow admins about your point of a new thread.As you know,we have the two reasons for a new area of interest thread to be up.

1- Incipient disturbance
2- Mentioned in TWO.

I would say give it until tomorrow. Once there is some sort of coherent convective mass to track.
3 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#2057 Postby LarryWx » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:53 pm

12Z Euro 228 just off SE FL in NW Bahamas. Weak. Then moves NNE (stays off FL) as ridging to north starts to weaken. I’d bet that later maps would have recurved it offshore the US as ridging would very likely keep pulling out/weaken. Different scenario of many possibilities.
Last edited by LarryWx on Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
0 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#2058 Postby AutoPenalti » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:53 pm

In my opinion, I would wait until a 5-day outlook is put out... there’s just too many variables at the moment with convection that is yet to materialize.
3 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#2059 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:02 pm

not the best .... but this is the EURO simulated satellite through 192hrs.. gives a general idea of the mess the EURO has.

1 likes   

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#2060 Postby blp » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:23 pm

This could be one explanation why it might struggle. Interesting that it splits off from Leslie and dives SW. I would argue that predicting ULL's out 10 days is tricky and sometimes they can help aide with outflow. Like others have mentioned this one will take it's sweet time and we need to be patient.

https://twitter.com/AndyHazelton/status/1046475519951347720

1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”