2018 Indicators: SST's / MSLP / Sal / Steering / Shear / Instability (Graphic updates at first post)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: 2018 Indicators: SST's / MSLP / Sal / Steering / Shear / Instability (Graphic updates at first post)

#501 Postby NotSparta » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:39 am

Eric Webb wrote:
cycloneye wrote:Interesting thread on Twitter by Eric Webb.

@webberweather
Atlantic MDR may be cold now, but if the EPS monthly verifies w/ a quasi-stationary relaxed trade regime, the Atlantic MDR would warm up a lot going into Aug/Sep, putting some seasonal forecasts in trouble. This also has ENSO implications: a warmer Atlantic resists oncoming Ninos

https://twitter.com/webberweather/status/1015592309109370882

https://twitter.com/webberweather/status/1015592511996215297

@webberweather
We're clearly starting to move away from the pattern that made the Atlantic cold in the first place, just goes to show how difficult seasonal forecasting is. Even if the MDR warms a lot it doesn't automatically favor a very active season however given the subtropics are also warm

https://twitter.com/webberweather/status/1015593879821692928

Now keep in mind this is only showing the Equatorial Atlantic, I'm not entirely sure what the trades look like specifically in the 10-20N belt over the tropical Atlantic but this reduction in trades near the Equator has also coincided w/ the Atlantic warming over the past few weeks or so, it seems like we're going to keep this up going forward. It's a much different pattern than the one that led to the -AMO SST configuration over the Atlantic MDR.

I found a 10-20N plot on Michael Ventrice's site, based on the GFS. Looks like an underlying slightly slower than normal trade state, but it looks pretty contaminated by passing tropical waves.

0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: 2018 Indicators: SST's / MSLP / Sal / Steering / Shear / Instability (Graphic updates at first post)

#502 Postby NotSparta » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:44 am

I expect a bit of cooling in the MDR soon though, with intraseasonal forcing that would favor enhanced trades.

0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#504 Postby cycloneye » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:19 pm

@webberweather
Atlantic TC activity up to this pt in the season isn’t a good indicator of seasonal activity but active Julys are often a sign of a +AMO. For ex: since 1870, 12 of 13 seasons w/ @ least 2 hurricanes in July occurred in a +AMO era. Something to ponder as Chris becomes a hurricane
4 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#505 Postby tolakram » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:43 pm

I wonder if we will see some Nino years go from the expected inactive to normal while other years get more active than normal? By normal I mean numbers ... I suspect most storms would be forming outside of the MDR in areas that are not usually favorable for tropical development.
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

StruThiO
Category 3
Category 3

#506 Postby StruThiO » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:51 pm

Last edited by StruThiO on Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#507 Postby NDG » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:01 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if 2018 turns out to be closer to an average season versus a below average season by the way things are looking so far, especially if Nino 1+2 stays in the "cool" side and the MDR gets closer to average SSTs as we get closer to the peak of the season, IMO.
The only area that may indeed stay very hostile most of the time during the rest of the season is the central and parts of eastern Caribbean.
IMHO.
5 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#508 Postby NotSparta » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:45 am

There are indications for the trades to slow down soon. That's happened this year, but was almost always related to some kind of favorable subseasonal forcing that was temporary. Currently, both the phase 5/6 MJO and the suppressive CCKW should be enhancing the trades. But the trades being slowed in spite of subseasonal forcing is at odds w/ what has happened the rest of 2018. This suggests it's not quite temporary.

https://twitter.com/NotSparta_wx/status/1016549057949585408

2 likes   

Eric Webb
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#509 Postby Eric Webb » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:16 am

This is just to reaffirm what Notsparta has posted above and what I've been discussing wrt how a wetter Africa has been playing into the hands of the Atlantic MDR warming we've seen lately.

To quote my earlier tweet
"If you compare satellite era yrs where the Atlantic MDR SSTAs warmed the most vs those that cooled the most between the spring & summer, you see a signal for a wet Africa in years that warm a lot during the summer."

Now look at this year, notice how wet Africa is this year and how closely it matches the composite.

Should make more sense to those here why this is happening.
3 likes   

Siker
Category 4
Category 4

#510 Postby Siker » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:22 am

Eric Webb wrote:This is just to reaffirm what Notsparta has posted above and what I've been discussing wrt how a wetter Africa has been playing into the hands of the Atlantic MDR warming we've seen lately.

To quote my earlier tweet
"If you compare satellite era yrs where the Atlantic MDR SSTAs warmed the most vs those that cooled the most between the spring & summer, you see a signal for a wet Africa in years that warm a lot during the summer." <image deleted>

Now look at this year, notice how wet Africa is this year and how closely it matches the composite. <image deleted>

Should make more sense to those here why this is happening. <image deleted>

Just curious, are you using the same MDR bounds in your top warmest and coldest years as in Levi’s graph? Interested in the anomalous sinking over the Caribbean and whether it should experience similar warming as the East Atlantic when that anomaly would suggest enhanced trades to its west.
0 likes   

Eric Webb
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#511 Postby Eric Webb » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:30 am

Siker wrote: Just curious, are you using the same MDR bounds in your top warmest and coldest years as in Levi’s graph? Interested in the anomalous sinking over the Caribbean and whether it should experience similar warming as the East Atlantic when that anomaly would suggest enhanced trades to its west.

Yes the bounds are the same, the enhanced trades over the EP at least in that regard don't hurt the Caribbean (they help it if anything), and the sinking air in the Caribbean increases incident shortwave radiation to the sea surface, warming it. Some of the years also had corresponding upward motion over the EP, but the Atlantic MDR SSTs still warmed a lot.
2 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#512 Postby chaser1 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:26 am

SST's aside one would think there should be a direct correlation between an anomalous wet Africa and a significant decrease in SAL outbreaks, right? If that were true though, I'm not sure that I'm seeing it thus far.
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#513 Postby NotSparta » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:29 am

chaser1 wrote:SST's aside one would think there should be a direct correlation between an anomalous wet Africa and a significant decrease in SAL outbreaks, right? If that were true though, I'm not sure that I'm seeing it thus far.

From what I'm seeing, the wet Africa so far actually enhances these SAL outbreaks. What happens is the stronger easterlies on the north part of AEWs goes thru the Sahara, where it helps kick up more dust than usual, and thus causes more intense SAL.
4 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#514 Postby chaser1 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:28 am

NotSparta wrote:
chaser1 wrote:SST's aside one would think there should be a direct correlation between an anomalous wet Africa and a significant decrease in SAL outbreaks, right? If that were true though, I'm not sure that I'm seeing it thus far.

From what I'm seeing, the wet Africa so far actually enhances these SAL outbreaks. What happens is the stronger easterlies on the north part of AEWs goes thru the Sahara, where it helps kick up more dust than usual, and thus causes more intense SAL.

I think that's a sensible argument for enhanced "cause and effect"; Given that line of thinking though, I would think that the density spread of these SAL outbreaks would be a bit further north and perhaps less impacting to the MDR lower latitudes. On a separate but related note, if we do in fact begin to see a significantly reduced E. Atlantic 850mb Easterly trade flow then it stands to reason that -
1) stronger easterlies on the north part of the AEW going through the Sahara should soon abate, but at minimum become less broad and perhaps contained to somewhat higher latitudes
2) MDR SST's will continue to significantly warm
3) a healthy W. African monsoon trough will likely bear a noticeable increase of vigorous waves that will move into the E. Atlantic.

One thing i'm not sure if touched on however, is whether a relaxed W. African/E. Atlantic low level Easterly trade flow will necessarily correlate to a lessened Easterly flow aloft as well? If not, an anomalously stout 200mb - 300 mb flow might still inhibit MDR development until reaching longitudes a bit further west (such as Beryl).

If the above assumptions come to fruition then most of us along with most professional seasonal forecasts included, may well have been lulled into a false sense of minimally anticipated MDR activity. It may very well be that Beryl was less of "an aberration" and perhaps more of a indication of upcoming MDR production to come. As for ENSO, it's a "NO-SO" lol. Sure, maybe as the season wanes in October but for the prime development period of August and September I just don't think it'll be a factor impacting tropical development.
3 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#515 Postby NotSparta » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:46 am

chaser1 wrote:
NotSparta wrote:

I think that's a sensible argument for enhanced "cause and effect"; Given that line of thinking though, I would think that the density spread of these SAL outbreaks would be a bit further north and perhaps less impacting to the MDR lower latitudes. On a separate but related note, if we do in fact begin to see a significantly reduced E. Atlantic 850mb Easterly trade flow then it stands to reason that -
1) stronger easterlies on the north part of the AEW going through the Sahara should soon abate, but at minimum become less broad and perhaps contained to somewhat higher latitudes
3) a healthy W. African monsoon trough will likely bear a noticeable increase of vigorous waves that will move into the E. Atlantic.

One thing i'm not sure if touched on however, is whether a relaxed W. African/E. Atlantic low level Easterly trade flow will necessarily correlate to a lessened Easterly flow aloft as well? If not, an anomalously stout 200mb - 300 mb flow might still inhibit MDR development until reaching longitudes a bit further west (such as Beryl).

If the above assumptions come to fruition then most of us along with most professional seasonal forecasts included, may well have been lulled into a false sense of minimally anticipated MDR activity. It may very well be that Beryl was less of "an aberration" and perhaps more of a indication of upcoming MDR production to come. As for ENSO, it's a "NO-SO" lol. Sure, maybe as the season wanes in October but for the prime development period of August and September I just don't think it'll be a factor impacting tropical development.

As for upper lvl flow, it has (somewhat surprisingly) been slightly anomalously easterly thru the MDR, and have strengthened recently (though there are some decent westerlies in the Caribbean which would weaken systems headed there).

Figure 1. Anomalous 200mb wind in MDR and surrounding regions, June 1-July 8, 2018

Figure 2. Anomalous 200mb wind in MDR and surrounding regions, June 15-July 8, 2018. Note the increased easterly anomalies in most areas, signifying a strengthening of these anomalies as of late
2 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#516 Postby chaser1 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:36 pm

NotSparta wrote:
chaser1 wrote:
NotSparta wrote:

As for upper lvl flow, it has (somewhat surprisingly) been slightly anomalously easterly thru the MDR, and have strengthened recently (though there are some decent westerlies in the Caribbean which would weaken systems headed there).

No, July climo typically favors higher pressures/strong Easterly trades. What i'm questioning refers in part to a statement that Webb make ".....Atlantic MDR may be cold now, but if the EPS monthly verifies w/ a quasi-stationary relaxed trade regime". Therefore pondering whether EPS verification of near term relaxed trades, will not only verify..... but whether this will also be reflected at the upper levels as well.
1 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#517 Postby NotSparta » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:18 pm

chaser1 wrote:
NotSparta wrote:
chaser1 wrote:

No, July climo typically favors higher pressures/strong Easterly trades. What i'm questioning refers in part to a statement that Webb make ".....Atlantic MDR may be cold now, but if the EPS monthly verifies w/ a quasi-stationary relaxed trade regime". Therefore pondering whether EPS verification of near term relaxed trades, will not only verify..... but whether this will also be reflected at the upper levels as well.

I'm confused. Do you mean more westerly winds in the upper lvls?
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#518 Postby Kingarabian » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:34 pm

0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#519 Postby SFLcane » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:37 pm

So far its been anything but below average.
3 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#520 Postby Kingarabian » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:39 pm

:uarrow:

Agreed. This Euro forecast is for ASO basically.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”