2018 Indicators: SST's / MSLP / Sal / Steering / Shear / Instability (Graphic updates at first post)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2018 Indicators: SST's / MSLP / Sal / Steering / Shear / Instability (Graphic updates at first post)

#221 Postby galaxy401 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:01 am

I'm sorry but I am not sold on there being an El Nino this year. Seems like that type of discussion happens every year and for the most part, it is over-exaggerated. I'm not saying that this Atlantic season will be active (other factors, mainly MDR) but the ENSO forecasts aren't my top factor at the moment.
4 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: 2018 Indicators: SST's / MSLP / Sal / Steering / Shear / Instability (Graphic updates at first post)

#222 Postby Alyono » Thu May 17, 2018 12:28 am

Monsoon trough in Caribbean in May is not exactly el niñoish
2 likes   

HurricaneRyan
Category 2
Category 2

#223 Postby HurricaneRyan » Thu May 17, 2018 1:39 am

For all we know, it could be a Modoki El Nino, which last happened in 2004 - and we all know how that happened.

Otherwise, I feel like it will be a neutral season similar to 1985.
0 likes   
Kay '22 Hilary '23

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#224 Postby NotSparta » Thu May 17, 2018 6:44 am

HurricaneRyan wrote:For all we know, it could be a Modoki El Nino, which last happened in 2004 - and we all know how that happened.

A Modoki alone won't cause a hyperactive ATL - 2004 is over used here, imo. 2004 also had an extremely favorable base state to work with.
1 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#225 Postby Alyono » Thu May 17, 2018 9:24 am

HurricaneRyan wrote:For all we know, it could be a Modoki El Nino, which last happened in 2004 - and we all know how that happened.

2009 was more of a Modoki than a traditional. 2015 was kind of a hybrid of the two. Whole basin was warm in 2015, but the warmest was more out in the CPAC. Explains why the Atlantic could produce as many storms as it did in the MDR
1 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#226 Postby NDG » Thu May 17, 2018 10:20 am

All I know is that at least the western Caribbean & GOM are looking fairly favorable for development during the hurricane season based on current conditions, and most important low level divergence is well below average in the Caribbean that's not what happens during a developing El Nino.
1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#227 Postby tolakram » Thu May 17, 2018 10:25 am

This looks familiar for the MDR.

1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#228 Postby cycloneye » Thu May 17, 2018 10:27 am

Here is the May update of MSLP for ASO and wow,if this pans out MDR / Caribbean / GOM will shut down. But in 2017 it had this and we know and I endured it directly what occured.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#229 Postby NotSparta » Thu May 17, 2018 10:36 am

tolakram wrote:This looks familiar for the MDR.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/4dKC6mq.png[img]

if the current SSTA appearence continues, convection may actually be suppressed, and waves could struggle. of course, things can change.
0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

stormlover2013
Category 5
Category 5

#230 Postby stormlover2013 » Thu May 17, 2018 10:40 am

its not even june yet lol
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#231 Postby Ntxw » Thu May 17, 2018 10:46 am

Kazmit wrote:Wow. Pretty huge SST differences here. The SSTs in that subtropical region are now well above normal, and I can confirm that here in Bermuda. Compare that with well below temperatures right off of Africa and throughout the MDR.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2rfece9.png

In the mid and higher latitudes (not tropics) any blob of warm anomalies spatially, surrounded or bordered by cooler anomalies usually suggests a persistent feedback of big sprawling anomalous high pressure systems. In the Atlantic that creates the negative tripole if stretching eastward from North America to Bermuda, or as NotSparta mentioned above tends to suppress convection below due to stronger trades. It's taken several months of +NAO to develop this feature and to reverse will take a few months of -NAO.
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#232 Postby LarryWx » Thu May 17, 2018 11:49 am

cycloneye wrote:Here is the May update of MSLP for ASO and wow,if this pans out MDR / Caribbean / GOM will shut down. But in 2017 it had this and we know and I endured it directly what occured.

In addition to 2017, tt would be really informative if we had access to or at least clear memories of past May Euro forecasts for ASO and then compared these to how the seasons went. Was 2017 reflective of a common Euro error/bias or was 2017 a rare error? Does anyone have access to or memories of 2016 and earlier May Euro forecasts for ASO?
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#233 Postby NDG » Thu May 17, 2018 12:11 pm

LarryWx wrote:
cycloneye wrote:Here is the May update of MSLP for ASO and wow,if this pans out MDR / Caribbean / GOM will shut down. But in 2017 it had this and we know and I endured it directly what occured.

In addition to 2017, tt would be really informative if we had access to or at least clear memories of past May Euro forecasts for ASO and then compared these to how the seasons went. Was 2017 reflective of a common Euro error/bias or was 2017 a rare error? Does anyone have access to or memories of 2016 and earlier May Euro forecasts for ASO?

I am sure those images are in archived threads in this forum, I may have the time later today to look for them.
1 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#234 Postby NotSparta » Thu May 17, 2018 12:18 pm

LarryWx wrote:

It did similar in 2016, it has a warm bias for ENSO, making ATL pressures higher.
1 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#235 Postby Ntxw » Thu May 17, 2018 12:27 pm

LarryWx wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/8yOUkw6.png

Larry You can find it in the link below. Goes back to 2008.

EUROSIP
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#236 Postby CyclonicFury » Thu May 17, 2018 12:28 pm

I find it interesting that the Euro is showing near or even above normal pressures over the EPAC near Mexico. I wonder, if most of the Pacific activity is farther west, could that mean not as much shear over the Atlantic?
1 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#237 Postby Ntxw » Thu May 17, 2018 12:37 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:I find it interesting that the Euro is showing near or even above normal pressures over the EPAC near Mexico. I wonder, if most of the Pacific activity is farther west, could that mean not as much shear over the Atlantic?

That sounds about right. What the Euro long range ENS percentile shows is a strong CPAC season. Perhaps CPAC+WPAC crossovers
2 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#238 Postby tolakram » Thu May 17, 2018 12:40 pm

Here was my May 3rd post in the 2017 Indicators thread. By May, and especially heading into the end of May, things are becoming more and more clear.

http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=2578868#p2578868

2017 was one of the few recent years that instability was even close to normal.

1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#239 Postby Shell Mound » Thu May 17, 2018 1:47 pm

Alyono wrote:Monsoon trough in Caribbean in May is not exactly el niñoish

Respectfully, I am not so sure that this is correct (though feel free to correct me). Looking back to 1950, I found several cases that apparently formed from Central-American monsoonal troughs in May or June during El Niño years: Cat-1 Abby (1968), Cat-1 Agnes (1972), Cat-1 Alberto (1982), and TS Alberto (2006). I looked up the pattern preceding the genesis of each of these systems, and in each case a Central-American monsoonal trough seemed to be present. Note the presence of anomalous westerly low-level winds over or near Central America, indicating the presence of a monsoonal circulation. I have decided to collect images of the patterns from ESRL and will post them here for individuals to examine and, if necessary, correct me (hopefully).

TS Alberto (2006):

Cat-1 Alberto (1982):

Cat-1 Agnes (1972):

Cat-1 Abby (1968):

Note that pre-Abby exhibits very weak westerly anomalies, but they do seem to be present just south of Central America, with some counterclockwise vectors present over Central America.
Last edited by Shell Mound on Thu May 17, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#240 Postby Alyono » Thu May 17, 2018 1:55 pm

Anny and especially One does not have westerly anomalies

Alberto did. No doubt about that. The tropical Atlantic still produced numerous storms that year. That niño wasn't very strong. The high latitudes only produced 2 though. Both in July
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”