2018 Indicators: SST's / MSLP / Sal / Steering / Shear / Instability (Graphic updates at first post)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2018 Indicators: SST's / MSLP / Sal / Steering / Shear / Instability (Graphic updates at first post)

#741 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:44 pm

0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: 2018 Indicators: SST's / MSLP / Sal / Steering / Shear / Instability (Graphic updates at first post)

#742 Postby Kingarabian » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:39 pm

0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#743 Postby GCANE » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:03 pm

GOM looks interesting.
Elongated 850mb vort.
Heavy convection firing along a shear axis.
0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#744 Postby GCANE » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:11 pm

GCANE wrote:GOM looks interesting.
Elongated 850mb vort.
Heavy convection firing along a shear axis.

Looks like a couple short-duration towers fired off with helicity.
Keeping an eye on this overnight.
Could be a brew.
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#745 Postby jasons2k » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:47 pm

There is a small pocket of low shear in the GOM over the trough axis. It is August. Something to watch...
1 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#746 Postby Hammy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:32 am

Going to post this here since it's well beyond the 16-day period: CFS 00z from yesterday, and accompanying names (all but one appeared to be at least TS intensity) and tracks as the model is currently forecasting. It's difficult to tell intensities from that model given the low resolution and large area shown. The takeaway is that the model's insistence on the first half of August being void of anything continues, as well as the idea that the Atlantic will be fairly active (and east-biased) with several long-trackers (most not affecting land) and a more active than expected MDR.

Otherwise, especially the tracks/timing, take with a grain of salt as I'm posting this mainly to show the general trend of activity the model is expecting, and I'll probably post spot-checks every few days until the shorter-term models start showing something.

https://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=noat&MODELL=cfs&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=pslv&HH=12&ZOOM=0&WMO=&ARCHIV=0&LOOP=1&RES=0 The model in question if anybody else wants to add their take.
6 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#747 Postby Yellow Evan » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:55 am

:uarrow: O storm is Oscar and P storm is Patty. Not Otto and Patricia.
1 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#748 Postby Hammy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:51 pm

Yellow Evan wrote::uarrow: O storm is Oscar and P storm is Patty. Not Otto and Patricia.

That's what I get for doing this at almost 3am :P
4 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

HurricaneEnzo
Category 2
Category 2

#749 Postby HurricaneEnzo » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:37 pm

The complete opposite of what conventional wisdom says should happen this season lol. If the CFS gets this right and that many storms form in the MDR kudos to it but I'm not liking its chances :lol:

Hammy wrote:Going to post this here since it's well beyond the 16-day period: CFS 00z from yesterday, and accompanying names (all but one appeared to be at least TS intensity) and tracks as the model is currently forecasting. It's difficult to tell intensities from that model given the low resolution and large area shown. The takeaway is that the model's insistence on the first half of August being void of anything continues, as well as the idea that the Atlantic will be fairly active (and east-biased) with several long-trackers (most not affecting land) and a more active than expected MDR.

Otherwise, especially the tracks/timing, take with a grain of salt as I'm posting this mainly to show the general trend of activity the model is expecting, and I'll probably post spot-checks every few days until the shorter-term models start showing something.

https://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=noat&MODELL=cfs&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=pslv&HH=12&ZOOM=0&WMO=&ARCHIV=0&LOOP=1&RES=0 The model in question if anybody else wants to add their take.
Last edited by HurricaneEnzo on Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   
Bertha 96' - Fran 96' - Bonnie 98' - Dennis 99' - Floyd 99' - Isabel 03' - Alex 04' - Ophelia 05' - Irene 11' - Arthur 14' - Matthew 16' - Florence 18' - Dorian 19' - Isaias 20' (countless other tropical storms and Hurricane swipes)

I am not a Professional Met just an enthusiast. Get your weather forecasts from the Pros!

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#750 Postby NotSparta » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:41 pm

Hammy wrote:Going to post this here since it's well beyond the 16-day period: CFS 00z from yesterday, and accompanying names (all but one appeared to be at least TS intensity) and tracks as the model is currently forecasting. It's difficult to tell intensities from that model given the low resolution and large area shown. The takeaway is that the model's insistence on the first half of August being void of anything continues, as well as the idea that the Atlantic will be fairly active (and east-biased) with several long-trackers (most not affecting land) and a more active than expected MDR.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/aT95kts.png[/im]

I like how it shows all this MDR activity & still shows a pretty decent El Niño soon :lol:
3 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#751 Postby CyclonicFury » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:59 pm

There has been a lot of mention about how cold the MDR is this year, and rightfully so. It's the coldest over the last 35 years. However, this does NOT mean that we will have no activity during the peak of the season. All it takes is a disturbance, a low shear window, a moist environment and warm waters for 24-48 hours for a hurricane to develop. Even though the Atlantic looks dead right now with all the shear and dust, I would bet that we see at least one major hurricane this season. I wouldn't be too surprised if we don't see Debby until around the third week of August, but I do think we will see a peak season since El Niño has not developed yet and the African monsoon is strong.
1 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#752 Postby Hurricaneman » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:03 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:There has been a lot of mention about how cold the MDR is this year, and rightfully so. It's the coldest over the last 35 years. However, this does NOT mean that we will have no activity during the peak of the season. All it takes is a disturbance, a low shear window, a moist environment and warm waters for 24-48 hours for a hurricane to develop. Even though the Atlantic looks dead right now with all the shear and dust, I would bet that we see at least one major hurricane this season. I wouldn't be too surprised if we don't see Debby until around the third week of August, but I do think we will see a peak season since El Niño has not developed yet and the African monsoon is strong.

And another thing people seem to forget is that in the years 1989 and 1985 the MDR was well below normal also and we still got humdingers for hurricanes in Hugo and Gloria but admittedly Gloria didn’t take off until it got past 50w so maybe this year might have something similar happen

Ps I forgot about 1992 with Andrew
1 likes   

tarheelprogrammer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#753 Postby tarheelprogrammer » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:01 pm

A legit question to ask. Will we even get a REAL storm in August? Right now the Atlantic looks more hostile than I can remember. Seems models haven't really hinted at a change in the pattern. :?:
Last edited by tarheelprogrammer on Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
My posts are not official forecasts. They are just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#754 Postby CyclonicFury » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:06 pm

tarheelprogrammer wrote:A legit question to ask. Will we even get a storm in August? Right now the Atlantic looks more hostile than I can remember. Seems models haven't really hinted at a change in the pattern. :?:

Since there has only been one time in the satellite era that a named storm that did not form in August (and that was during a Super El Niño), I would have to go with yes. First half of the month could very well be dead though.
6 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

tarheelprogrammer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#755 Postby tarheelprogrammer » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:59 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:
tarheelprogrammer wrote:A legit question to ask. Will we even get a storm in August? Right now the Atlantic looks more hostile than I can remember. Seems models haven't really hinted at a change in the pattern. :?:

Since there has only been one time in the satellite era that a named storm that did not form in August (and that was during a Super El Niño), I would have to go with yes. First half of the month could very well be dead though.

We shall see. Right now things do not look too promising for development through at least mid-month.
0 likes   
My posts are not official forecasts. They are just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#756 Postby Hammy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:03 pm

tarheelprogrammer wrote:
CyclonicFury wrote:

We shall see. Right now things do not look too promising for development through at least mid-month.

The only satellite year we can 100% verify (I say this because 1961 reanalysis is in progress) that didn't have a storm in August was 1997, and that was in the middle of a super Nino. We've had multiple times (even active years) where there was nothing in the first half of August--1996, 98, 99, 2007, 09, 15 (and 1979 as well if you go back further) and still had decent or high activity the rest of the month. On an interesting note, four consecutive years (1996-99) had nothing before August 18.
1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#757 Postby tolakram » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:10 pm

tarheelprogrammer wrote:
CyclonicFury wrote:

You know you say this just about every year? :)
13 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#758 Postby galaxy401 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:49 pm

tarheelprogrammer wrote:
CyclonicFury wrote:

The chances of zero storms in August are extremely rare. Even inactive seasons spawn at least one storm this month. August 20 tends to be the date when the switch turns on in the basin. Once we get to that date, then we should start to see if this season will be active or not. Many active seasons were quiet during the first half of this month.
4 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

tarheelprogrammer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#759 Postby tarheelprogrammer » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:44 am

tolakram wrote:
tarheelprogrammer wrote:
CyclonicFury wrote:Since there has only been one time in the satellite era that a named storm that did not form in August (and that was during a Super El Niño), I would have to go with yes. First half of the month could very well be dead though.

I have been right most years lol at least when it comes to a slow Atlantic. Last year was an exception. 8-)
0 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#760 Postby CyclonicFury » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:54 am

tarheelprogrammer wrote:
tolakram wrote:
tarheelprogrammer wrote:

I have been right most years lol at least when it comes to a slow Atlantic. Last year was an exception. 8-)

I'm going to say this: if you expect no TC genesis in the Atlantic this month, you are very likely going to be wrong based on years of history. :lol:
3 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”