2018 Indicators: SST's / MSLP / Sal / Steering / Shear / Instability (Graphic updates at first post)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2018 Indicators: SST's / MSLP / Sal / Steering / Shear / Instability (Graphic updates at first post)

#1001 Postby CyclonicFury » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:55 am

TheStormExpert wrote:Then comes Michael Ventrice saying that the Cape Verde season may only last 1-2 weeks this year.

https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/1037691248847609859

I don't know if I can trust Ventrice's predictions anymore. As we all know, last year he said we probably wouldn't be able to buy a hurricane between September 7-25. This year, he said July would be dead (we saw two hurricanes), and before the season said he anticipated much below normal activity this season. It's looking likely ACE will at least be close to normal. Last year, I also remember him saying not a lot was going on in the tropics during Jose, and then a less than a week later Hurricane Maria devastated Puerto Rico nearly at Category 5 intensity. He puts way too much stock into the "base state" with his forecasts and not enough into climatology.
5 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2018 Indicators: SST's / MSLP / Sal / Steering / Shear / Instability (Graphic updates at first post)

#1002 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:58 am

CyclonicFury wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:Then comes Michael Ventrice saying that the Cape Verde season may only last 1-2 weeks this year.

https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/1037691248847609859

I don't know if I can trust Ventrice's predictions anymore. As we all know, last year he said we probably wouldn't be able to buy a hurricane between September 7-25. This year, he said July would be dead (we saw two hurricanes), and before the season said he anticipated much below normal activity this season. It's looking likely ACE will at least be close to normal. Last year, I also remember him saying not a lot was going on in the tropics during Jose, and then a less than a week later Hurricane Maria devastated Puerto Rico nearly at Category 5 intensity. He puts way too much stock into the "base state" with his forecasts and not enough into climatology.

Yep, I totally remember last Septembers bold statement from him. Seems every time he makes a statement like this predicting a quiet or unfavorable Atlantic the opposite happens. Hope this time he is right though!
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1003 Postby tolakram » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:46 am

If what the models are all showing is true this is going to easily be a normal season and quite possible above normal. What a crazy turnaround, but still a big if because it hasn't happened yet.
2 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1004 Postby Kingarabian » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:56 pm

1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1005 Postby NDG » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:41 pm

:uarrow: Crazy indeed!
1 likes   

supercane4867
Category 5
Category 5

#1006 Postby supercane4867 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:58 pm

If the track of Florence shifts further south to impact Miami, it would be the first for the headquaters of JTWC, CPHC, and NHC to be threatened at the same time (Although JTWC has relocated to Hawaii since 1999)
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1007 Postby chaser1 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:22 pm

Funny, and I was just wondering if anyone remembered when was the last time that 2 different Atlantic hurricanes last made landfall on the same day? If forecasts hold, this Thursday could see both Florence striking the Carolina's... and Isaac striking the Lesser Antilles.

Other curiosity - last time three tropical storms below 30N, were simultaneously active in the Atlantic on the same day?
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1008 Postby gatorcane » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:55 pm

This season further shows that there is just little skill to long-range forecasting when it comes to tropical cyclones. That is why I generally don’t pay attention to the forecast predictions. Maybe one day we will be better but all of this talk of below normal SSTs leading to less activity, above normal shear, dry air everywhere like 2013 etc didn’t quite pan out. The other thing is that July and sometimes even August is no indicator of what September and October can bring, That said, there was a good consensus the Carolinas/SE US would be a target for this year. Sure enough that looks to be verifying.
5 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#1009 Postby TheStormExpert » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:01 pm

Probably the fact that El Niño failed to materialize (once again) is a contributing factor to why this season maybe more active than forecasters are predicting. Also that cold tongue in the Southeast Subtropical North Atlantic that developed over the past month or so could have helped to lessen the negative SST configuration. Still despite no El Niño the Caribbean is still quite hostile with strong wind shear being present over the last several months likely due to the hyperactive East Pacific.

4 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1010 Postby NDG » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:32 am

NDG wrote:Update from Ben Noll on the Euro's velocity forecast he's been posting during the past 2 weeks.

@BenNollWeather
13 August] A major change in the tropical base state looks likely during September.
The pattern looks to become more favorable for Atlantic tropical cyclones, by mid-month, after the suppressed wave fades during the first ten days.

]https://twitter.com/BenNollWeather/status/1029147032164786176

https://i.imgur.com/PnN627H.jpg]

We have to give Ben Noll credit, he was one of the first ones to sound the alarm in the middle of what many thought a repeat of '06, '09, '15...Nino seasons for September. I bet Dr Phil K along with other ones that were calling for an almost dead season are scratching his head looking at this satellite pix this morning of where did they go wrong on his forecast.
10 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#1011 Postby Hammy » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:05 pm

:uarrow: On top of it, it's entirely possible all three of those could be hurricanes by the end of the day--when's the last time that happened with all being in the eastern tropical Atlantic?
2 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#1012 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:37 pm

So much for the quiet hurricane season most were expecting. :roll: This was probably one (if not the hardest) of the more difficult seasons to predict, and it's only September 10th. The question remains will things shut down once the we head through the second half of September?

5 likes   

hurricanes1234
Category 5
Category 5

#1013 Postby hurricanes1234 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:06 pm

The Atlantic be laughing at all us who predicted an inactive season. :lol:
2 likes   
PLEASE NOTE: With the exception of information from weather agencies that I may copy and paste here, my posts will NEVER be official, since I am NOT a meteorologist. They are solely my amateur opinion, and may or may not be accurate. Therefore, please DO NOT use them as official details, particularly when making important decisions. Thank you.

StruThiO
Category 3
Category 3

#1014 Postby StruThiO » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:10 pm

1 likes   

StruThiO
Category 3
Category 3

#1015 Postby StruThiO » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:11 pm

StruThiO wrote:tweet

August is already made up for.
0 likes   

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#1016 Postby 1900hurricane » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:18 pm

Hammy wrote::uarrow: On top of it, it's entirely possible all three of those could be hurricanes by the end of the day--when's the last time that happened with all being in the eastern tropical Atlantic?

Not sure. 1995 maybe?
1 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#1017 Postby Hammy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:40 pm

1900hurricane wrote:
Hammy wrote::uarrow: On top of it, it's entirely possible all three of those could be hurricanes by the end of the day--when's the last time that happened with all being in the eastern tropical Atlantic?

Not sure. 1995 maybe?

Looks like the closest year, though Humberto was approaching 35N by the time Luis became a hurricane.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1018 Postby SFLcane » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:25 am

3 likes   

HurricaneEric
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1019 Postby HurricaneEric » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:47 pm

SFLcane wrote:Lots more to come...

[u rl]https://twitter.com/BenNollWeather/status/1040190265787465728[/url]

Ben Noll used the same graphic to show the uptick in activity that we’ve been seeing now... Seems like a decent indicator.

I’m guessing Week 1 is supposed to be from Sep. 13-20??
3 likes   
Irene '99, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Irma '17 (storms I remember my area getting hurricane force winds/gusts).

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and shouldn't be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the experts.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1020 Postby SFLcane » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:22 pm

1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”