2018 Indicators: SST's / MSLP / Sal / Steering / Shear / Instability (Graphic updates at first post)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: 2018 Indicators: SST's / MSLP / Sal / Steering / Shear / Instability (Graphic updates at first post)

#421 Postby wxman57 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:11 am

The NASA dust forecast at day 10 looks quite hostile toward development. Dry, dusty air to dominate tropics next few weeks. Good chance we'll make it to August before Beryl forms.

1 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2018 Indicators: SST's / MSLP / Sal / Steering / Shear / Instability (Graphic updates at first post)

#422 Postby CyclonicFury » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:53 am

Models do seem to be showing some stronger tropical waves moving off Africa beginning next week. However, MDR will likely be too cool and too dry to support any development for the next 4-6 weeks or so. Genesis in the deep tropical Atlantic does not seem likely until August, but we could sneak out a weak storm in the subtropics some time in July.
1 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#423 Postby Ntxw » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:07 am

:uarrow: Those waves will probably quietly cross the Atlantic and seed the EPAC once they make it there for the next month. Development, if any is key, in the Atlantic I would look closer to North America.
4 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#424 Postby KWT » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:08 pm

Alyono wrote:
which is why I went with 18 storms

Thats a massive and bold call!
I mean even for a neutral season in terms of ENSO with a decent Atlantic warmth in the deeper tropics and average subtropics, thats a fairly big total to reach, let alone with a season with a rubbish MDR profile and a developing El Nino profile. Equally I'm not buying those who are basically saying a shut-out season either, and besides it really does only need one well timed wave to make a season memorable.

With this set-up aloft, need to watch for those little nippers that race up the W.Atlantic from frontal systems, they seem pretty common in developing El nino seasons during July (Arthur 14, Claudette 15, Beryl 06, Alex 04, etc).

Despite what looks like a decent sub-tropics forecast, I'm still struggling to see us getting above 12 NS, UNLESS we do get one of those stringy LP chains which pump out 2-3 systems in a 7 day period.
Last edited by KWT on Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
6 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#425 Postby gatorcane » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:12 pm

Pretty decent warming in the MDR to SW Atlantic. Just compare to 1 week ago (bottom image). We are still over 2 1/2 months until the peak of the Atlantic season.

0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#426 Postby Kingarabian » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:58 pm

KWT wrote:
Alyono wrote:

I mean even for a neutral season in terms of ENSO with a decent Atlantic warmth in the deeper tropics and average subtropics, thats a fairly big total to reach, let alone with a season with a rubbish MDR profile and a developing El Nino profile. Equally I'm not buying those who are basically saying a shut-out season either, and besides it really does only need one well timed wave to make a season memorable.

With this set-up aloft, need to watch for those little nippers that race up the W.Atlantic from frontal systems, they seem pretty common in developing El nino seasons during July (Arthur 14, Claudette 15, Beryl 06, Alex 04, etc).

Despite what looks like a decent sub-tropics forecast, I'm still struggling to see us getting above 12 NS, UNLESS we do get one of those stringy LP chains which pump out 2-3 systems in a 7 day period.

Agree completely.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

tarheelprogrammer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#427 Postby tarheelprogrammer » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:13 pm

0 likes   
My posts are not official forecasts. They are just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Eric Webb
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#429 Postby Eric Webb » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:33 pm

The warming of the MDR in the past week or so is attributable to an MJO pulse passing into Africa and the Indian Ocean, temporarily slowing the easterly trades, but it's hardly a drop in the bucket and won't mean much at the large-scale unless this forcing was sustained for several weeks in a row, which appears unlikely.

2 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#430 Postby Alyono » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:52 pm

KWT wrote:
Alyono wrote:

remember, there have been quite a few seasons recently with 10 or more forming in the subtropics/GOM

speaking of that, I'd keep an eye off the East Coast toward the end of June and early July. Some type of troughing is likely there
1 likes   

Siker
Category 4
Category 4

#431 Postby Siker » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:22 pm

Eric Webb wrote:The warming of the MDR in the past week or so is attributable to an MJO pulse passing into Africa and the Indian Ocean, temporarily slowing the easterly trades, but it's hardly a drop in the bucket and won't mean much at the large-scale unless this forcing was sustained for several weeks in a row, which appears unlikely.

I don't have access to the EPS weeklies so they might offer different info, but a curious observation in the CFS (and the GEFS to the extent of its recent runs) is the area of anomalously weak low level flow south of the MDR for the next month (it disappears when models finally move upward motion away from Africa / the IO). You (or anyone else) might have insight into consequences of this anomaly. From my understanding of the Atlantic Equatorial Mode, warmer waters near the equator focus rainfall over the Gulf of Guinea vs. the Sahel, shunting the ITCZ further south. Thus a prolonged westerly burst as modeled may be detrimental to Atlantic hurricane activity (and even Pacific activity if it weakens the notably strong waves we've noticed so far) if it results in a sustained +AEM without actually warming the MDR. I don't have any understanding of ocean warming mechanics beyond weaker trades = warming directly below, so I could be totally incorrect. Sample CFS image attached:

1 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#432 Postby NotSparta » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:36 pm

Eric Webb wrote:The warming of the MDR in the past week or so is attributable to an MJO pulse passing into Africa and the Indian Ocean, temporarily slowing the easterly trades, but it's hardly a drop in the bucket and won't mean much at the large-scale unless this forcing was sustained for several weeks in a row, which appears unlikely.

[img]https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/ocean/mdrssta.png[img]

In addition, it is overdone by OSPO, which has bad SSTAs ( especially in the Atlantic), as its baseline is 1985-91 and thus has a +AMO bias.
3 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Siker
Category 4
Category 4

#433 Postby Siker » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:48 pm

NotSparta wrote:

[img]https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/ocean/mdrssta.png[img]

In addition, it is overdone by OSPO, which has bad SSTAs ( especially in the Atlantic), as its baseline is 1985-91 and thus has a +AMO bias.

Wow, this is really good to know. I even checked for myself because it sounded absurd.
3 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#434 Postby NotSparta » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:50 pm

Oops, it's not 1985-91, but 1985-93. :oops:

Still, this is fully in the -AMO era and would still cause the dataset to have a +AMO bias

https://coralreefwatch.noaa.gov/satellite/methodology/methodology.php#clim

The monthly mean SST climatologies were then derived by averaging these satellite SSTs during the time period of 1985-1993. Observations from the years 1991 and 1992 were omitted due to the aerosol contamination from the eruption of Mt. Pinatubo.
2 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Eric Webb
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#435 Postby Eric Webb » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:15 pm

NotSparta wrote:Oops, it's not 1985-91, but 1985-93. :oops:

Still, this is fully in the -AMO era and would still cause the dataset to have a +AMO bias

The monthly mean SST climatologies were then derived by averaging these satellite SSTs during the time period of 1985-1993. Observations from the years 1991 and 1992 were omitted due to the aerosol contamination from the eruption of Mt. Pinatubo.

I already wasn't a big fan of the NESDIS SST page but this is an even bigger turn off, can't say I'm surprised. It's pretty sad we actually still have -SSTAs in the tropical Atlantic in that product because that portion of the last -AMO era was cold-very cold in the MDR.
2 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#436 Postby NotSparta » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:01 am

Eric Webb wrote:
NotSparta wrote:Oops, it's not 1985-91, but 1985-93. :oops:

I already wasn't a big fan of the NESDIS SST page but this is an even bigger turn off, can't say I'm surprised. It's pretty sad we actually still have -SSTAs in the tropical Atlantic in that product because that portion of the last -AMO era was cold-very cold in the MDR.

Not to mention that it's only 9 years recorded. That's tiny.
0 likes   

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#437 Postby OuterBanker » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:55 am

Periodically I check the water temperature at the Duck Research Pier (Army Corp of Engineers). This morning I couldn’t believe the reading. I have never seen the temperature this high at any time much less late June. The northern Outer Banks is unique because the Labrador current lies just below the surface. We have had many summers in which there has been a strong westerly wind which causes the Labrador current to surface (upwell) while the Gulf Stream waters are blown off shore. In other words the temps in July and August can be in the 90’s while the water temps can be in the upper 50’s to low 60’s. You bake and can’t swim. Recently though the temps have been in the 90’s while the H2O temps have been the 80’s (perfect). Today’s reading is a whopping 86. The dominant winds are light and variable which allows the Gulf Stream to dominate, but I can’t ever remember being this warm this far north (36”11”). I’m sure it’s just a temporary anomaly. But, on the other hand it has raised my curiosity and concern.

http://www.frf.usace.army.mil/
2 likes   

MississippiWx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#438 Postby MississippiWx » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:16 pm

OuterBanker wrote:Periodically I check the water temperature at the Duck Research Pier (Army Corp of Engineers). This morning I couldn’t believe the reading. I have never seen the temperature this high at any time much less late June. The northern Outer Banks is unique because the Labrador current lies just below the surface. We have had many summers in which there has been a strong westerly wind which causes the Labrador current to surface (upwell) while the Gulf Stream waters are blown off shore. In other words the temps in July and August can be in the 90’s while the water temps can be in the upper 50’s to low 60’s. You bake and can’t swim. Recently though the temps have been in the 90’s while the H2O temps have been the 80’s (perfect). Today’s reading is a whopping 86. The dominant winds are light and variable which allows the Gulf Stream to dominate, but I can’t ever remember being this warm this far north (36”11”). I’m sure it’s just a temporary anomaly. But, on the other hand it has raised my curiosity and concern.

How old are you? How many -AMO's have you experienced? We haven't had a -AMO like this in quite some time.
0 likes   
This post is not an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of MississippiWx and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#439 Postby OuterBanker » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:48 pm

MississippiWx wrote:
OuterBanker wrote:Periodically I check the water temperature at the Duck Research Pier (Army Corp of Engineers). This morning I couldn’t believe the reading. I have never seen the temperature this high at any time much less late June. The northern Outer Banks is unique because the Labrador current lies just below the surface. We have had many summers in which there has been a strong westerly wind which causes the Labrador current to surface (upwell) while the Gulf Stream waters are blown off shore. In other words the temps in July and August can be in the 90’s while the water temps can be in the upper 50’s to low 60’s. You bake and can’t swim. Recently though the temps have been in the 90’s while the H2O temps have been the 80’s (perfect). Today’s reading is a whopping 86. The dominant winds are light and variable which allows the Gulf Stream to dominate, but I can’t ever remember being this warm this far north (36”11”). I’m sure it’s just a temporary anomaly. But, on the other hand it has raised my curiosity and concern.

How old are you? How many -AMO's have you experienced? We haven't had a -AMO like this in quite some time.

Harry Truman was president when I was born and I have a red white and blue health card. :D
2 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#440 Postby Kingarabian » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:11 pm

With such a massive sinking anomaly presence over the Atlantic and the GOM, I wouldn't call this a Modoki El Nino. The current SST configuration may resemble one (although that's really debatable IMO), but atmospherically it doesn't.

https://twitter.com/BenNollWeather/status/1009748270392885248

1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”