2018 Indicators: SST's / MSLP / Sal / Steering / Shear / Instability (Graphic updates at first post)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2018 Indicators: SST's / MSLP / Sal / Steering / Shear / Instability (Graphic updates at first post)

#41 Postby CyclonicFury » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:59 pm

StruThiO wrote:
CyclonicFury wrote:With the upcoming strong -NAO, the cold MDR anomalies could flip completely. It has been typical in recent winters to have a spring -NAO flip the Atlantic SST profile and 2018 may be similar.

is the -NAO expected to persist for very long?

Not really, but it is uncertain.
1 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: 2018 Indicators: SST's / MSLP / Sal / Steering / Shear / Instability (Graphic updates at first post)

#42 Postby NotSparta » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:37 pm

StruThiO wrote:
CyclonicFury wrote:With the upcoming strong -NAO, the cold MDR anomalies could flip completely. It has been typical in recent winters to have a spring -NAO flip the Atlantic SST profile and 2018 may be similar.

is the -NAO expected to persist for very long?

Long range EPS keeps it around for about a month, could change though
0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#43 Postby cycloneye » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:00 am

The ECMWF Febuary update of MSLP for May,June and July is out and looks bad for those who like to track many systems.Maybe a factor for this model to show very high pressures in Atlantic may be the forecast for ENSO of warming conditions at Niño 3.4.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#44 Postby CyclonicFury » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:35 am

cycloneye wrote:The ECMWF Febuary update of MSLP for May,June and July is out and looks bad for those who like to track many systems.Maybe a factor for this model to show very high pressures in Atlantic may be the forecast for ENSO of warming conditions at Niño 3.4.

The Euro has a known high bias for Atlantic SLP. It’s also interesting to note that over half of the Euro ensembles still have ENSO negative by July.
1 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#45 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:52 am

:uarrow: Here’s the March 2017 Euro Pressure Outlook for the JAS period for anyone looking to see how thinks were shaping up last year.

0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#46 Postby chaser1 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:05 pm

TheStormExpert wrote::uarrow: Here’s the March 2017 Euro Pressure Outlook for the JAS period for anyone looking to see how thinks were shaping up last year.

Kinda make one want to laugh (from a misguided data perspective, certainly NOT given the very contrary results of the 2017 Atlantic Season destruction and fatalities). I'll give all the kudos to the EURO for its mid range modeling, but I just don't give much credence to any of the Global's anymore when viewing their long long long range projections. As for present ENSO and leaning toward possible NINO projection, I'd only buy into the belief that ENSO temps will likely wane toward less cool and near average. Even if ENSO continues to gradually track into the warm bias a little, assuming that we do not see a significant spike before August then I would not anticipate any significant impact to Atlantic cyclone development. Remember this too, there does seem to be a several week to month delay from appreciable ENSO conditions to affect the Atlantic. Even if we were to see a more significant El Nino begin to develop Sept/October, I don't believe the Atlantic would feel significant impact until possibly mid October/November. Just my thoughts, anyway.
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#47 Postby TheStormExpert » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:11 pm

1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

stormlover2013
Category 5
Category 5

#48 Postby stormlover2013 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:12 am

not good for the gom!!
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#49 Postby cycloneye » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:36 am

Is very warm in GOM that is over +1.3C, but there will be swings up and down as it always occur so let's see how are things when it counts after June 1.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#50 Postby Alyono » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:40 am

we really shouldn't spend that much time worrying about SST anomalies in late February. We've seen many times that these things can flip quickly as we enter into May

Think we're just adding extra stress to our lives worrying about February anomalies. They mean nothing in terms of if we will see an active season
10 likes   

StruThiO
Category 3
Category 3

#51 Postby StruThiO » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:12 am

2 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#52 Postby NotSparta » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:16 am

Wonder if it'll stay that way or if it's because of winter.
0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#53 Postby NDG » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:28 am

Regarding the ECMWF's MSLP forecast for the Atlantic this early on in the year it has been most times biased with higher pressures than what it has turned out to be in years when it has had a difficulty forecasting the ENSO.
IMO.
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#54 Postby cycloneye » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:37 pm

Nice graphic on second tweet.

@MichaelRLowry
Last week the Gulf of Mexico recorded its warmest weekly anomaly on record at 1.5°C above the 1982-2011 average. That's some serious warmth.

https://twitter.com/MichaelRLowry/status/970789803586449409

@MichaelRLowry
And for those who prefer the bouncing ball, here's how this week's anomalous Gulf warmth compares to all other weeks on record.

https://twitter.com/MichaelRLowry/status/970820758623617024

1 likes   

TropicalAnalystwx13
Category 5
Category 5

#55 Postby TropicalAnalystwx13 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:23 pm

Negative NAO has erased the below average anomalies in the MDR as expected:

By the way, 'the Euro shows above average sea pressures across the Atlantic for peak, could be a slow season' could be copy and pasted for every season since 2012. It's best not to pay it any mind.
6 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#56 Postby wxman57 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:38 pm

SST anomalies are still well below-normal in the MDR east of 35W. Even though temps are well above normal in the Gulf, I see no temps as high as 80F yet. An "X" degree anomaly in early March doesn't necessarily translate to an "X" degree anomaly in August-September.

4 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#57 Postby CyclonicFury » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:39 pm

TropicalAnalystwx13 wrote:Negative NAO has erased the below average anomalies in the MDR as expected:

https://i.imgur.com/xZszlw9.png

By the way, 'the Euro shows above average sea pressures across the Atlantic for peak, could be a slow season' could be copy and pasted for every season since 2012. It's best not to pay it any mind.

I’m currently leaning to a slightly above average season since most of the models are showing ENSO remaining neutral for peak. There just doesn’t seem to be enough time for a significant El Niño to develop by the peak of hurricane season.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#58 Postby wxman57 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:02 pm

My cold-mongering coworker and I were looking over Pacific/Atlantic SST anomalies of the past (since 1981) to try to find a good analog for what's out there now. The best analog, SST-wise, appears to be 2014, mainly from the central Pacific through the east Atlantic. Can't find any other year that even looks close. Of course, this doesn't mean that we'll only have 8 named storms this season. SSTs are only one factor.

5 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#59 Postby CyclonicFury » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:16 pm

March NMME shows a “not bad, not great” setup for he Atlantic. ENSO-Neutral without a strong AMO signature. Also shows mostly near average precip anomalies across the MDR.
1 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#60 Postby Kingarabian » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:34 pm

wxman57 wrote:My cold-mongering coworker and I were looking over Pacific/Atlantic SST anomalies of the past (since 1981) to try to find a good analog for what's out there now. The best analog, SST-wise, appears to be 2014, mainly from the central Pacific through the east Atlantic. Can't find any other year that even looks close. Of course, this doesn't mean that we'll only have 8 named storms this season. SSTs are only one factor.

[img]http://wxman57.com/images/compare.JPG[img]

Also both years had very similar warm pools at the sub-surface.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”