2018 Indicators: SST's / MSLP / Sal / Steering / Shear / Instability (Graphic updates at first post)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
StruThiO
Category 3
Category 3

Re: 2018 Indicators: SST's / MSLP / Sal / Steering / Shear / Instability (Graphic updates at first post)

#101 Postby StruThiO » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:56 pm

will be interesting if something like this continues.
0 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: 2018 Indicators: SST's / MSLP / Sal / Steering / Shear / Instability (Graphic updates at first post)

#103 Postby NotSparta » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:21 am

StruThiO wrote:[img removed]https://i.imgur.com/eojae95.png[/img]

will be interesting if something like this continues.

Yeah mid latitudes are cooling and far north Atlantic is warming. MDR is still cold though
0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#104 Postby NotSparta » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:03 pm

New OSPO SSTA map out for April 9. MDR appears warmer in west, and northeast, little change elsewhere

0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#105 Postby gatorcane » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:04 pm

:uarrow: It is early but looking at the Atlantic compared to last year at this time (see above map for 2018 and below for 2017), seems we almost have the reverse where this year we have cooler than normal MDR and warmer than normal subtropical Atlantic. That could mean back to another season of systems which really don't take off until moving out of the MDR/tropics similar to what we saw in years prior to 2017:

1 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#106 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:47 pm

Yeah I’m not too impressed with the signals I’m seeing right now for the upcoming Atlantic Hurricane Season. I know just like last April things can change on a dime but I’m slowly starting to become less bullish in what I think will happen during this years Atlantic Hurricane Season. A quantity over quality season seems reasonable at the moment. Of course with all the devastation and destruction last season brought I’m sure many will be fine with just that.
4 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#107 Postby cycloneye » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:10 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:Yeah I’m not too impressed with the signals I’m seeing right now for the upcoming Atlantic Hurricane Season. I know just like last April things can change on a dime but I’m slowly starting to become less bullish in what I think will happen during this years Atlantic Hurricane Season. A quantity over quality season seems reasonable at the moment. Of course with all the devastation and destruction last season brought I’m sure many will be fine with just that.

I just want that anything that forms in 2018 season goes to open waters and have a free landfalling season.
4 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#108 Postby NotSparta » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:22 pm

International Desk seeing a tropical wave, not much elsewhere

AN EARLY SEASON TROPICAL WAVE IS INITIALIZED AT 36W AND SOUTH OF
07N. IN INTERACTION WITH THE ATLANTIC ITCZ...IS TO TRIGGER
ORGANIZED DEEP CONVECTION ACROSS THE NORTHERN STATES OF BRASIL
DURING THE NEXT 48-60 HRS...WITH DAILY MAXIMA OF 40-80MM. THE WAVE
ENTERS AMAPA IN BRASIL/FRENCH GUIANA EARLY ON SATURDAY
MORNING...TO TRIGGER RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 15-20MM/DAY AND MAXIMA OF
35-70MM. AS IT BUILDS WEST ACROSS SURINAME ON SATURDAY THIS
INCREASES TO 20-30MM/DAY AND MAXIMA OF 40-80MM. NOTE THAT A TRADE
WIND SURGE AND DRY/DUSTY AIR TRAIL THIS PERTURBATION.

http://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/data/raw/fx/f ... pmd.ca.txt
1 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#109 Postby Shell Mound » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:37 pm

1 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#110 Postby NotSparta » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:25 pm

WPC wrote: A WETTER PATTERN CONTINUES LOOKING FAVORABLE FOR MID-WEEK
AS UPPER TROUGH FORECAST TO AFFECT THE UNITED STATES DURING THE
WEEKEND INTERACTS WITH A MOIST PLUME TRAILING BEHIND AN
EARLY-SEASON AFRICAN EASTERLY WAVE PROPAGATING ACROSS THE
CARIBBEAN.

:crazyeyes:

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussion ... =1&fmt=reg

It doesn't appear anywhere else, but this is pretty early.
2 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#111 Postby LarryWx » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:22 am

TheStormExpert wrote:Yeah I’m not too impressed with the signals I’m seeing right now for the upcoming Atlantic Hurricane Season. I know just like last April things can change on a dime but I’m slowly starting to become less bullish in what I think will happen during this years Atlantic Hurricane Season. A quantity over quality season seems reasonable at the moment. Of course with all the devastation and destruction last season brought I’m sure many will be fine with just that.

It doesn't matter how much destruction the previous season brought because I always desire a low impact season on land. However, last season's high level of devastation & destructiveness re-enforces that desire. So, hopefully we get El Niño. Also, because of the desire for quiet, I'm not crazy about the use of the word "quality" by some to refer to a season with many strong and/or large hurricanes because the word "quality" usually implies something of a positive nature.

*Edited
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

#112 Postby Kazmit » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:25 am

LarryWx wrote:

It doesn't matter how much destruction the previous season brought because I always desire a low impact season on land. However, last season's high level of devastation & destructiveness re-enforces that desire. So, hopefully we get El Niño. Also, because of the desire for quiet, I'm not crazy about the use of the word "quality" by some to refer to a season with many strong and/or large hurricanes because the word "quality" usually implies something of a positive nature.

*Edited

There being many strong hurricanes doesn't always mean a more impactful season- look at 2010 for example, with many out to sea tracks. And I'm sure quality is referring to the strength of the storms, and not that they are a positive thing for those affected.
0 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#113 Postby LarryWx » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:42 am

Kazmit wrote:
LarryWx wrote:

*Edited

There being many strong hurricanes doesn't always mean a more impactful season- look at 2010 for example, with many out to sea tracks. And I'm sure quality is referring to the strength of the storms, and not that they are a positive thing for those affected.

I know it doesn't. But if we don't have many strong hurricanes at all, that in itself would help our chances of having low land impact.
I realize that's what's meant by quality but I'd prefer the word "strong" because "quality" usually refers to something desirable. One meaning of quality: "the degree of excellence of something". Excellence implies something good.

Anyway, I'm hoping for El Niño because that would increase the chance for fewer storms as well as weaker storms on average. We'll need to get past the spring barrier before I can have confidence in what ENSO we'll likely have. Many including myself thought we were going to have El Niño last season and look what happened.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#114 Postby SFLcane » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:44 am

Unfortunately As wxman57 stated previously significant impacts from El Niño this season appear unlikely. I think there’s way to much focus on water temps in April I think the Atlantic will be ready come ASO to start pumping out hurricanes.
4 likes   

weathaguyry
Category 5
Category 5

#115 Postby weathaguyry » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:33 pm

It appears that the MDR is warming up a little, as well as the waters near and east of Greenland. This probably doesn't mean too much for the hurricane season, since it's only April and the SST anomalies could still change a lot, but it would be interesting if the -AMO look would flip to a more +AMO look.

2 likes   
My posts are only my opinions and NOT official forecasts. For official forecasts, consult the National Hurricane Center or the National Weather Service.

Irene 11', Sandy 12', Fay 20’, Isaias 20’, Elsa 21’, Henri 21’, Ida 21’

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

#116 Postby Kazmit » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:43 pm

:uarrow: I also noticed the significant cooling in the gulf. Is that unusual?
1 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#117 Postby NotSparta » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:56 pm

Kazmit wrote::uarrow: I also noticed the significant cooling in the gulf. Is that unusual?

Probably caused by the recent frontal passage
1 likes   

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#118 Postby USTropics » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:02 pm

Kazmit wrote::uarrow: I also noticed the significant cooling in the gulf. Is that unusual?

I wouldn't pay too much attention to it. You can see from recent satellite loops that cloud coverage coupled with anomalously strong winds stirring up the surface are the primary factors:

http://www.iweathernet.com/satellite-images-and-loops/fast-7-day-satellite-loop
2 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#119 Postby psyclone » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:08 am

That map is just showing the 7 day change in anomalies. The above normal anoms have abated somewhat over the past week but the Gulf remains near to somewhat above normal overall. Not that it matters for the Gulf anyway...it always has sufficient OHC when it counts.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#120 Postby NDG » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:13 am

weathaguyry wrote:It appears that the MDR is warming up a little, as well as the waters near and east of Greenland. This probably doesn't mean too much for the hurricane season, since it's only April and the SST anomalies could still change a lot, but it would be interesting if the -AMO look would flip to a more +AMO look.

I really don't trust the CDAS SSTs estimates, it shows at least a 2 deg C drop in SSTs in the BOC during the past 7 days but if you look at the buoy 42055 in that area it only shows 1 deg C drop during the past 7 days.
2 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”