2018 Indicators: SST's / MSLP / Sal / Steering / Shear / Instability (Graphic updates at first post)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
MetroMike
Category 3
Category 3

Re: 2018 Indicators: SST's / MSLP / Sal / Steering / Shear / Instability (Graphic updates at first post)

#861 Postby MetroMike » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:06 am

Hammy wrote:
blp wrote:SST's have completely rebounded in the MDR from a month ago just in time for the peak. So I am taking the SST's off the negative list. Only big negative left is the sinking air which if the models are correct is on the way out in the next couple of weeks.

How likely is it that the SSTs being so far below normal was causing the sinking air, or at least contributing to the lack of instability?

But the SST’s are not below normal now if you look a couple posts above you.
Like he said that is not a negative factor now Hammy.
1 likes   

MetroMike
Category 3
Category 3

Re: 2018 Indicators: SST's / MSLP / Sal / Steering / Shear / Instability (Graphic updates at first post)

#862 Postby MetroMike » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:14 am

https://twitter.com/DylanFedericoWx/status/1030811998358052865

Who is Dylan?
SST’s are not a real negative factor now. He is thinking too conservatively imo.
0 likes   

MJGarrison
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#863 Postby MJGarrison » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:08 am

blp wrote:SST's have completely rebounded in the MDR from a month ago just in time for the peak. So I am taking the SST's off the negative list. Only big negative left is the sinking air which if the models are correct is on the way out in the next couple of weeks.

The quoted NOAA sea surface temperature anomaly chart shows the MDR at least back to average but the CDAS chart on tropical tidbits still shows slightly below average. Maybe someone can explain the differences between the charts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3 likes   

Siker
Category 4
Category 4

#864 Postby Siker » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:28 am

MetroMike wrote:  https://twitter.com/DylanFedericoWx/status/1030811998358052865

Who is Dylan? SST’s are not a real negative factor now. He is thinking too conservatively imo.

Dylan is the met you quoted haha. It’s his own tweet.
3 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#865 Postby NDG » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:55 am

Any tropical waves that come off of Africa north of the Cape Verde Islands or track north of the 15th latitude east of the 40th longitude will have very little chance of developing over the next few weeks because of <26C SSTs and subsidence, best chances of them surviving and or developing is if they track south of the 15th latitude until they reach the 40th longitude. IMO.

2 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#866 Postby toad strangler » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:03 pm

Today is the 35th anniversary of home brew Alicia. African waves are mostly recurves in the best of years anyway so look out for that home brew this year :D

https://twitter.com/USAwx/status/1030804110013067264

2 likes   

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#867 Postby blp » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:36 pm

NDG wrote:Any tropical waves that come off of Africa north of the Cape Verde Islands or track north of the 15th latitude east of the 40th longitude will have very little chance of developing over the next few weeks because of <26C SSTs and subsidence, best chances of them surviving and or developing is if they track south of the 15th latitude until they reach the 40th longitude. IMO.

I am not sure how accurate the CDAS map is. The NESDIS map below looks more accurate to me and has things closer to normal. I think there was a debate going on with Levi and Phil Klotzbach about this last week with them questioning the CDAS being too cold.

2 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#868 Postby NDG » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:49 pm

blp wrote:
NDG wrote:Any tropical waves that come off of Africa north of the Cape Verde Islands or track north of the 15th latitude east of the 40th longitude will have very little chance of developing over the next few weeks because of <26C SSTs and subsidence, best chances of them surviving and or developing is if they track south of the 15th latitude until they reach the 40th longitude. IMO.

I am not sure how accurate the CDAS map is. The NESDIS map below looks more accurate to me and has things closer to normal. I think there was a debate going on with Levi and Phil Klotzbach about this last week with them questioning the CDAS being too cold.

https://image.ibb.co/edZACe/anomw_8_16_2018.gif

I'm not talking about anomalies, that's another argument, I'm actually referring to actual SSTs which I have spent the last few weeks comparing CDAS satellite SSTs measurements to actual SSTs by buoys & SHIPS in the area and they are pretty close, within 1/2 degree C most times.
There's no denial that the Atlantic MDR is cooler than last year, though it has warmed up some during the past few days.

3 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#869 Postby AnnularCane » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:38 pm

toad strangler wrote:Today is the 35th anniversary of home brew Alicia. African waves are mostly recurves in the best of years anyway so look out for that home brew this year :D

Interesting. Alicia kind of looked like just a run of the mill Gulf blowup in that picture. The kind that might just fizzle after a day or two.
1 likes   

Dylan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#870 Postby Dylan » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:52 pm

MetroMike wrote:  https://twitter.com/DylanFedericoWx/status/1030811998358052865

Who is Dylan?
SST’s are not a real negative factor now. He is thinking too conservatively imo.

I'm Dylan...

SSTA's are running slightly below normal in the MDR, with a -AMO signature clear as day. Eventually, climatological factors will eventually allow for a brief burst of activity, and EPS/GEFS are showing some activity after 8/27. But don't let that fool you, this season will end up well below normal from an ACE perspective.

4 likes   
Georges('98), Allison('01), Isidore('02), Lili('02), Frances('04) Ivan('04), Cindy('05), Katrina('05), Rita('05), Gustav('08), Isaac('12), Matthew('16), Harvey('17), Irma('17), Nate ('17), Ida ('21).

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#871 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:12 pm

To add, everything about this thus far has screamed a classic -AMO pattern: see Debby and Ernesto. Most of the ACE this year will probably come from that part of the Atlantic.
0 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#872 Postby toad strangler » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:00 pm

AnnularCane wrote:
toad strangler wrote:Today is the 35th anniversary of home brew Alicia. African waves are mostly recurves in the best of years anyway so look out for that home brew this year :D

Interesting. Alicia kind of looked like just a run of the mill Gulf blowup in that picture. The kind that might just fizzle after a day or two.

Just look at the little beast she was

[Tweet] https://twitter.com/philklotzbach/statu ... 91872?s=21 [/Tweet]
0 likes   

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#873 Postby blp » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:17 pm

NDG wrote:
blp wrote:

I'm not talking about anomalies, that's another argument, I'm actually referring to actual SSTs which I have spent the last few weeks comparing CDAS satellite SSTs measurements to actual SSTs by buoys & SHIPS in the area and they are pretty close, within 1/2 degree C most times.
There's no denial that the Atlantic MDR is cooler than last year, though it has warmed up some during the past few days.

Your right the graphic I posted was the anomoly versus what you posted was the actual SST's. The point I am trying to make though is yes it is cooler than last year but last year was much warmer than normal so my point with my graphic is compared to climatology we are close to normal. So it should not be a major negative factor this year as some have suggested.
3 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#874 Postby abajan » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:52 pm

What's causing the extreme North Atlantic to be as much as 5 °C above normal? That's quite a large deviation.
0 likes   

Visioen
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#875 Postby Visioen » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:25 pm

MJGarrison wrote:

The quoted NOAA sea surface temperature anomaly chart shows the MDR at least back to average but the CDAS chart on tropical tidbits still shows slightly below average. Maybe someone can explain the differences between the charts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder about that too..

0 likes   

Siker
Category 4
Category 4

#876 Postby Siker » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:51 pm

Levi’s CDAS Anomaly plots use a 1981-2010 base period, which captures a range of both -AMO and +AMO years. The OSPO site uses a very narrow base period that is around 1989-1993, which was a solidly -AMO time period. So Levi’s plots should provide a better average to compare to, versus the OSPO plots where positive anomalies are easier to come by. However, CDAS is satellite derived, so its present day measurements may be more prone to error (I don’t know anything about satellite SST measurement techniques but people have claimed this is possible).
7 likes   

AJC3
Admin
Admin

#877 Postby AJC3 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:55 pm

Peeps,

I've gone through this thread and and the Global model runs thread and cleaned both of them up. There was a fair amount of cross posts over there that belonged here, and there were a number of posts in this thread about the wave over west Africa, which should, quite frankly, have its own thread, since there's an incipient area of disturbed weather.

So please feel free to do so - besides, threads have been started on much worse, especially this season! :lol: :lol:

So....if your post about the west African wave disappeared, now you know why....

carry on...
3 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#878 Postby SFLcane » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:01 pm

So much for the MDR warming...those noaa sst anomaly maps are garbage.

https://twitter.com/ryanmaue/status/1030989503991824385?s=21
0 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#879 Postby toad strangler » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:12 pm

SFLcane wrote:So much for the MDR warming...those noaa sst anomaly maps are garbage.

https://twitter.com/ryanmaue/status/1030989503991824385?s=21

meh, These anomalies are compared to very favorable MDR condition year 2017. Don’t write off a GOM, Bahamas, or Caribbean brew.
4 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#880 Postby NotSparta » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:33 pm

SFLcane wrote:So much for the MDR warming...those noaa sst anomaly maps are garbage.

[url]https://twitter.com/ryanmaue/status/1030989503991824385?s=21[url]

It has warmed, remember that is compared to near record high SSTAs. Still near-slightly below avg
0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”