2018 Indicators: SST's / MSLP / Sal / Steering / Shear / Instability (Graphic updates at first post)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: 2018 Indicators: SST's / MSLP / Sal / Steering / Shear / Instability (Graphic updates at first post)

#821 Postby NDG » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:31 am

Good thing the MDR has been quiet so far, the Bermuda mid level ridge has been strong and forecasted to stay strong as we head towards the heart of the hurricane season.

0 likes   

Emmett_Brown
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2018 Indicators: SST's / MSLP / Sal / Steering / Shear / Instability (Graphic updates at first post)

#822 Postby Emmett_Brown » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:28 am

Well, SST's over much of the Atlantic certainly are warm enough for action, assuming atmospheric conditions allow it: Image
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#823 Postby tolakram » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:49 pm

LarryWx wrote:
tolakram wrote:Last year was a good example of seemingly bad conditions until suddenly it wasn't. Remember all the upper level lows last year?

Keep in mind that last year started off as heading toward El Niño before it surprisingly made an unexpected about face toward a much more favorable for tropical La Niña. I don’t see anywhere near a repeat because the subsurface equatorial Pacific is so much warmer. Also, the Eurosip forecast for ASO of 2018 has much higher SLPs vs what it showed in 2017. Furthermore, the Caribbean shear at this time last year was not as high even though it wasn’t low.

I don't think it will be nearly as favorable as last year but I do think we will again be surprised by the peak of the season with 5 days or less notice that anything is going to happen. El Nino has so far failed to materialize again, so far, but every year is different. This time last year instability in the tropical Atlantic was a lot closer to normal, this year is juuust a bit different. :lol:

3 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#824 Postby NDG » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:01 pm

Update from Ben Noll on the Euro's velocity forecast he's been posting during the past 2 weeks.

@BenNollWeather
13 August] A major change in the tropical base state looks likely during September.
The pattern looks to become more favorable for Atlantic tropical cyclones, by mid-month, after the suppressed wave fades during the first ten days.

https://twitter.com/BenNollWeather/status/1029147032164786176

1 likes   

wxGuy
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#825 Postby wxGuy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:07 pm

Might I add in here, look what's riding along, waiting to fuel anything that comes her way :P
good ole classic loop eddy
2 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#826 Postby Hammy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:29 pm

Weekly check on the CFS shows an equally unlikely flip to a 2013 scenario from the high level of activity in the previous map, though it's trended quieter this week. Might see a flip back in the other direction as more favorable conditions approach and as the waters warm, but here's an estimation of the latest run, which would put the season at 15/3/0.

1 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#827 Postby Hurricaneman » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:33 am

Hammy wrote:Weekly check on the CFS shows an equally unlikely flip to a 2013 scenario from the high level of activity in the previous map, though it's trended quieter this week. Might see a flip back in the other direction as more favorable conditions approach and as the waters warm, but here's an estimation of the latest run, which would put the season at 15/3/0.

Though conditions look similar to 2013 especially the instability east of 60w there is less shear so if something develops shear won’t drive dry air into systems compared with high shear of 2013
2 likes   

Patrick99
Category 5
Category 5

#828 Postby Patrick99 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:03 am

Emmett_Brown wrote:Well, SST's over much of the Atlantic certainly are warm enough for action, assuming atmospheric conditions allow it: Image

The box from Jamaica to Grand Bahama to west Florida to the Yucatan looks particularly juicy....some spots look like they are edging close to being 90-degree water. A week of mostly high sun around here from the SAL sure isn't going to cool that off any.
1 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#829 Postby NDG » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:42 pm

Interesting, in another words don't use Tropical Tidbit's CFSR SSTs forecast for now.

Levi Cowan

@TropicalTidbits
Replying to @CyclonicFury @NDGMETCHEF @philklotzbach
I've mentioned before that something is off with the climatology from CFSR that I'm using for these plots. I've now disabled these until I can figure out why the climatology is too cold.

https://twitter.com/TropicalTidbits/status/1029449217515900928

2 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#830 Postby Kingarabian » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:47 pm

NDG wrote:Interesting, in another words don't use Tropical Tidbit's CFSR SSTs forecast for now.

Levi Cowan

@TropicalTidbits
Replying to @CyclonicFury @NDGMETCHEF @philklotzbach
I've mentioned before that something is off with the climatology from CFSR that I'm using for these plots. I've now disabled these until I can figure out why the climatology is too cold.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TropicalTidbits/status/1029449217515900928[tweet]

Eric Webb brought it up about 2 weeks ago. I think it's for the CFS cross section.
2 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

#831 Postby floridasun78 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:46 pm

i hear this year we seen more sal and past few year going into aug we going see sal here later this week here in fl untill that totaly leave we wont see strong wave coming out afica i hearing shear been dropping last few weeks that could help wave when sal drop more
1 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#832 Postby CyclonicFury » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:51 pm

floridasun78 wrote:i hear this year we seen more sal and past few year going into aug we going see sal here later this week here in fl untill that totaly leave we wont see strong wave coming out afica i hearing shear been dropping last few weeks that could help wave when sal drop more

Usually SAL subsides in mid-late August and it is already beginning to do so.
4 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

HURRICANELONNY
Category 5
Category 5

#833 Postby HURRICANELONNY » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:04 pm

I'm having a hard time finding a good site to see the SAL. This was my favorite site but it's down. Any other good sites out there. http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/s ... litE&time=
:roll:
1 likes   
hurricanelonny

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#834 Postby Hammy » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:21 am

Since there's still not much out there or showing up in the models in the short term, another CFS run (excluding systems I'm not sure are tropical or not) as of 00z/Aug 14.

A bit more realistic than the last few runs, at least in the shorter term. Model would indicate 16/3/0 to 16/8/3, assuming 98L develops. One notable trend on this model regardless of activity is that the Gulf and eastern half of the Atlantic seem like the most active regions, with little along the US East Coast or Caribbean.
1 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#835 Postby SoupBone » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:30 am

HURRICANELONNY wrote:I'm having a hard time finding a good site to see the SAL. This was my favorite site but it's down. Any other good sites out there. http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/s ... litE&time=
:roll:

I'm having the same issues. Anyone have an alternate to this or a reason why it's been down for a few days?
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#836 Postby Shell Mound » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:58 am

1 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#837 Postby Hammy » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:48 am

:uarrow: Would that explain the wild variations with the CFS three month model?
2 likes   

StruThiO
Category 3
Category 3

#838 Postby StruThiO » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:19 pm

0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#839 Postby gatorcane » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:24 pm

Now this is looking rather favorable basin-wide. #itIsAugust. Shouldn’t be too long before we get some systems spinning up in the MDR once some of the SAL subsides:

4 likes   

Ian2401
Category 1
Category 1

#840 Postby Ian2401 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:31 pm

Tropical Atlantic likely to be entering a period of favorable MJO conditions in the next week or so that may extend into the climatological peak of the season.
1 likes   
FSU '24 student pursuing a degree in meteorology. Consult NHC for official information.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”