Hurricanes vs Nor’easter’s

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Hurricanes vs Nor’easter’s

#1 Postby OuterBanker » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:35 pm

Let’s face it last weeks Nor’easter was as violent and damaging as any hurricane. Hurricane force winds, extensive oceanfront damage, hundreds of thousands without power, etc. Yet, it wasn’t even mentioned here in talking tropics (I know they aren’t tropical) or in winter weather. The dynamics between a cold core and warm core systems are completely different, but the effects are the same. The core pressure of last week’s storm was that of a Cat 3 hurricane (bordering the 960’s). I have been though numerous hurricanes but shudder of having to deal with the same conditions and snow. Both can be predicted with some accuracy before they happen, yet most don’t prepare and generally ignore Nor’easter’s which I think is a big mistake. We won’t remember it because it has no name, who’s going to remember the March 3,4,5 2018 storm (forget TWC’s Riley). I just find it interesting that even weather enthusiasts like us here at Stom2k don’t post, comment or project any thoughts on Nor’easters.
6 likes   

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Hurricanes vs Nor’easter’s

#2 Postby JDawg512 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:12 pm

I agree and thanks for bringing it up. I'm nowhere near the east coast but have been following these storms and I do find it suprising not more emphasis is put on these cyclones which is indeed what they are.
0 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

hurricanetrack
HurricaneTrack.com
HurricaneTrack.com

#3 Postby hurricanetrack » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:33 am

You're right, it was not discussed here - but at least I went up to Mass. to set up cams :-) I like these winter storms (from a purely meteorological perspective of course) to test things for the upcoming hurricane season. Our next generation of live cams will be better than ever before, allowing us instant clip making capabilities and on-the-fly time lapse.

It was a MAJOR news story, HUGE, but it's not officially named so people tend to be like - wow, then, eh....time to move on.

I am now a believer that NWS should consider naming major winter storms, but that is a story for another day and the subject or a lot of debate I am sure. One nugget of consideration: big storms are named in parts of Europe - in an official capacity, so maybe we can do the same here one day.
2 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#4 Postby NotSparta » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:17 am

hurricanetrack wrote:You're right, it was not discussed here - but at least I went up to Mass. to set up cams :-) I like these winter storms (from a purely meteorological perspective of course) to test things for the upcoming hurricane season. Our next generation of live cams will be better than ever before, allowing us instant clip making capabilities and on-the-fly time lapse.

It was a MAJOR news story, HUGE, but it's not officially named so people tend to be like - wow, then, eh....time to move on.

I am now a believer that NWS should consider naming major winter storms, but that is a story for another day and the subject or a lot of debate I am sure. One nugget of consideration: big storms are named in parts of Europe - in an official capacity, so maybe we can do the same here one day.

The problem with TWC naming storms is they name pretty much everything, if it were official, I'd hope there'd be some kind of criteria for that.
1 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#5 Postby wxman57 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:56 am

FYI, I measured the tropical storm-force wind diameter in that Nor'easter last week and found that it was about 30% larger than Sandy. About 1300nm across vs. 900nm for Sandy. Winds were stronger than Sandy, too. Fortunately, it was moving away from the coast, so there was no storm surge (only big waves causing increased tides).
2 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6 Postby Ntxw » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:22 am

Yeah storm surge is mostly the big difference. You get big waves and if a couple other things like high tide come together you can get big flooding as was the case. A hurricane moves inland from the Sea so the mechanics there are much different with surge. With a nor'easter it is moving out to sea albeit even slowly in this case.

In terms of damage and human impact, coverage it's not that far from a minimal to modest hurricane.
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Kazmit » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:44 am

Here in Bermuda we had 50-60mph sustained winds with gusts to near hurricane-force for a period. We had gale-force winds for 4 days straight. It certainly felt like a moderate to strong tropical storm to me.
0 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”