The next Cat 5 U.S. landfall

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Hurricane Andrew
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: The next Cat 5 U.S. landfall

#21 Postby Hurricane Andrew » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:42 am

Is no one going to point out the irony that this topic was started by "Hurricane Mike"?
25 likes   

The Enthusiast
NREMT-AEMT, WX nerd

Irene '11, Sandy '12, Irma '17 (SAR)

"Hard to think we were born to live this way..." -Wage War

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#22 Postby gatorcane » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:17 am

Hurricane Andrew wrote:Is no one going to point out the irony that this topic was started by "Hurricane Mike"?

Good point :eek:
2 likes   

Patrick99
Category 5
Category 5

#23 Postby Patrick99 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:31 am

I'm not surprised by a Cat 5 landfall, but I am surprised that it (likely) happened in the FL Panhandle and not in peninsular Florida, specifically I-4 to points south.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#24 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:58 am

Patrick99 wrote:I'm not surprised by a Cat 5 landfall, but I am surprised that it (likely) happened in the FL Panhandle and not in peninsular Florida, specifically I-4 to points south.

Irma fortunately wasn't one last year, it had potential to maintain its Cat.5 strength if it hadn't plowed into Cuba.
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#25 Postby toad strangler » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:18 am

TheStormExpert wrote:
Patrick99 wrote:I'm not surprised by a Cat 5 landfall, but I am surprised that it (likely) happened in the FL Panhandle and not in peninsular Florida, specifically I-4 to points south.

Irma fortunately wasn't one last year, it had potential to maintain its Cat.5 strength if it hadn't plowed into Cuba.

Irma was falling apart at landfall and basically was just half a hurricane. We got very lucky.
3 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#26 Postby somethingfunny » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:41 am

Shell Mound wrote:So perhaps 2018, despite its likely featuring less-than-average activity, might be a year to watch out for that one big storm, maybe even a homegrown event.

Giving this post some recognition!
2 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

Abdullah
Category 1
Category 1

#27 Postby Abdullah » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:33 am

2020 may be a year to watch.
0 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#28 Postby DioBrando » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:05 pm

Abdullah wrote:2020 may be a year to watch.

why do u think so bruh
0 likes   
blonde stacey (xe/xem/xir)

Abdullah
Category 1
Category 1

#29 Postby Abdullah » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:59 pm

DioBrando wrote:

why do u think so bruh

Look, I'm not stating a fact, or even opinion.
I don't know. First of all, it's twentytwenty. I have a strong gut feeling.
Second of all, The El Niño that is supposed to be forming right now is expected to persist until late 2019. 2020's right after that. It could easily be La Niña by then.
3 likes   

CFLHurricane
Category 1
Category 1

#30 Postby CFLHurricane » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:25 pm

Abdullah wrote:Look, I'm not stating a fact, or even opinion.
Second of all, The El Niño that is supposed to be forming right now is expected to persist until late 2019. 2020's right after that. It could easily be La Niña by then.

I am intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your news letter.
3 likes   
I'm not a meteorologist, but I did stay at a motel 8.

Abdullah
Category 1
Category 1

#31 Postby Abdullah » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:31 pm

CFLHurricane wrote:

I am intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your news letter.

My next article's named,"Why you shouldn't subscribe to this news letter."
6 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#32 Postby DioBrando » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:21 pm

Abdullah wrote:
DioBrando wrote:

why do u think so bruh

How do you know the Nino is expected to last until Christmas 2019?
1 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#33 Postby chaser1 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:51 pm

DioBrando wrote:
Abdullah wrote:
DioBrando wrote:why do u think so bruh

I do believe that I have read speculation (within the El Nino thread) that the oncoming El Nino may well be a "protracted event". That had yet to be confirmed but the pretense of that potentially occuring does make a case for an active 2020 Hurricane Season. DioBrando, what are YOUR thoughts on the subject? This "Brah" (and perhaps CFLHurricane as well?) just may want to subscribe to your monthly newsletter on the topic.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#34 Postby DioBrando » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:00 pm

chaser1 wrote:
DioBrando wrote:

I do believe that I have read speculation (within the El Nino thread) that the oncoming El Nino may well be a "protracted event". That had yet to be confirmed but the pretense of that potentially occuring does make a case for an active 2020 Hurricane Season. DioBrando, what are YOUR thoughts on the subject? This "Brah" (and perhaps CFLHurricane as well?) just may want to subscribe to your monthly newsletter on the topic.

I just smell that 2019 will have a nasty storm still, and 2020 might have storms flying everywhere but nothing too serious
1 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#35 Postby chaser1 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:39 pm

DioBrando wrote:
chaser1 wrote:
DioBrando wrote:How do you know the Nino is expected to last until Christmas 2019?

I just smell that 2019 will have a nasty storm still, and 2020 might have storms flying everywhere but nothing too serious

Know what dude? You could very well be right..... which leads me to my point. There's a bunch of people a lot smarter then me who admittedly don't have a clue how this upcoming El Nino is gonna play out. For that reason, I won't call you out by asking "What are YOU smelling to think 2019 will have a nasty storm?" Nope. For all I know, there will be one narly Cat 5' next summer..... smack in the middle of some ultra rare El Nino-burger just sticken' around till Christmas 2019.
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Abdullah
Category 1
Category 1

#36 Postby Abdullah » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:27 pm

DioBrando wrote:
Abdullah wrote:
DioBrando wrote:why do u think so bruh

I don't know. I should have said currently projected. Look at chaser1's posts to find out why.
0 likes   

HurricaneRyan
Category 2
Category 2

#37 Postby HurricaneRyan » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:16 pm

Since Michael was upgraded, we officially have ended the 26 year streak without a Cat 5 US landfall.
2 likes   
Kay '22 Hilary '23

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#38 Postby toad strangler » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:10 pm

HurricaneRyan wrote:Since Michael was upgraded, we officially have ended the 26 year streak without a Cat 5 US landfall.

And Florida it is again.
0 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#39 Postby Shell Mound » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:53 am

Eventually, sometime in the future, perhaps not too distantly, we may be unfortunate eyewitnesses to two consecutive seasons with at least one Cat-5 landfall each in the continental (contiguous) U.S. (lower forty-eight states). (We already saw an unprecedented occurrence last season: two Cat-5 hits on the territorial U.S. in a single calendar year—Typhoon Yutu in the WPAC and Hurricane Michael in the Atlantic.) With the likelihood of an above-average season increasing, and with the long-term pattern favouring ridging over/near the East Coast since 2016, we could certainly see at least some opportunities for just such a rare and catastrophic incidence. Personally, if I were to venture an informed but random guess, if a Cat-5 were to strike the U.S. in 2019, it would more likely be a long-tracking CV system, rather than a homegrown event like Michael. I could certainly envision a system that strengthens early on, stair-steps its way to just north of the Leeward Islands/Greater Antilles, and heads west-northwestward across the south-central Bahamas en route to Miami/Fort Lauderdale, then turns northwestward across the peninsula, passing south of Lake Okeechobee and then over Tampa/St. Petersburg, briefly entering the northeastern Gulf of Mexico to the south and west of Cedar Key, with a second and final landfall over St. Marks, the eye passing over the Tallahassee area.
1 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

SconnieCane
Category 4
Category 4

#40 Postby SconnieCane » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:23 am

Shell Mound wrote:Eventually, sometime in the future, perhaps not too distantly, we may be unfortunate eyewitnesses to two consecutive seasons with at least one Cat-5 landfall each in the continental (contiguous) U.S. (lower forty-eight states). (We already saw an unprecedented occurrence last season: two Cat-5 hits on the territorial U.S. in a single calendar year—Typhoon Yutu in the WPAC and Hurricane Michael in the Atlantic.) With the likelihood of an above-average season increasing, and with the long-term pattern favouring ridging over/near the East Coast since 2016, we could certainly see at least some opportunities for just such a rare and catastrophic incidence. Personally, if I were to venture an informed but random guess, if a Cat-5 were to strike the U.S. in 2019, it would more likely be a long-tracking CV system, rather than a homegrown event like Michael. I could certainly envision a system that strengthens early on, stair-steps its way to just north of the Leeward Islands/Greater Antilles, and heads west-northwestward across the south-central Bahamas en route to Miami/Fort Lauderdale...

I really thought Irma was gonna be that storm. It taught me just how much has to go right (meteorologically speaking) for a storm to be at Cat. 5 strength when it hits the CONUS. Michael was that rare scenario of perfect timing, with just enough time over water (but not so much that it began an ERC) and other synoptic features placed just right to create a poleward outflow channel and not induce shear and/or inject dry air.
Last edited by SconnieCane on Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”