Which area will see the most impacts in 2018?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K

Poll ended at Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:57 pm

Yucatan Peninsula (MX & Bay of Campeche
6%
Mouth of Rio Grande to TX/LA border
3%
Louisiana,Mississippi,Alabama
10%
FL Panhandle (Pensacola - St.Marks
6%
Penninsular Florida & Keys
10%
Georgia/Carolinas
23%
Mid-Atlantic / New England
10%
Canadian Maritimes / Bermuda
No votes
Bahamas / Turk & Caico Islands
19%
Leeward Islands / Puerto Rico
3%
Windward Islands / South America
No votes
Hispañola / Jamaica / Cuba
6%
Central America (Includes Panama)
3%
None / Out to sea
No votes

Total votes: 31

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#1 Postby Shell Mound » Fri May 04, 2018 3:10 pm

Poll options (please make this thread a poll and allow multiple selections per user, mods 8-) )

*Yucatán Peninsula (MX) & Bay of Campeche
*Mouth of Rio Grande to TX/LA border
*Louisiana, Mississippi, & Alabama
*FL Panhandle (Pensacola – St. Marks)
*Peninsular Florida & the Keys
*Georgia and the Carolinas
*Mid-Atlantic / New England
*Canadian Maritimes / Bermuda
*The Bahamas / Turks & Caicos Islands
*Leeward Islands / Puerto Rico
*Windward Islands / South America
*Hispaniola, Jamaica, & Cuba
*Central America (includes Panama)
*None / out to sea

Impacts in this poll are defined as landfalls of tropical-storm intensity or stronger.

My own picks: the Bahamas / Turks and Caicos Islands, the Mid-Atlantic and New England, and the Canadian Maritimes and Bermuda.
3 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Which area will see the most impacts in 2018?

#2 Postby northjaxpro » Fri May 04, 2018 3:38 pm

I voted The Bahamas and Turks & Caicos.

My hunch is that we will see a lot of mid-latitude troughs, especially mainly over the Eastern CONUS, which would help to steer or recurve a lot of tropical cyclones from reaching Texas and the Gulf Coast region this season. I am getting a feeling the Bahamas and the U.S.Mid Atlantic region may see potential threats with the pattern I am anticipating this tropical cyclone season. South Florida this upcoming season could see more impacts potentially as well.

Yeah, I think the area off the SE CONUS Atlantic coast and the Caribbean will be active zones this tropical cyclone season.

Florida peninsula(mainly South Florida) and Keys would be my second choice.

Mid Atlantic- New England would be my third choice
1 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Kazmit » Fri May 04, 2018 4:35 pm

Georgia and the Carolinas, Bahamas/Turks and Caicos, and the Canadian Maritimes and Bermuda will be the largest areas of concern, IMO.
Other areas to look out for, although not quite as much as my top picks: Florida, the eastern gulf coast, and the western Caribbean.

In general, the subtropics could be more active than the deep tropics.

The rest of the Caribbean and the MDR could be the quietest areas this year compared to normal.

This is all just speculation, so take this with a grain of salt.
0 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#4 Postby cycloneye » Fri May 04, 2018 5:59 pm

Added a poll to this thread.Will be open to vote until June 1 at 6:57 PM EDT.
3 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Shell Mound » Sat May 05, 2018 2:55 pm

The Bahamas, the Turks and Caicos Islands, and the U.S. East Coast from Georgia through the Carolinas are emergent favourites thus far.

The potential +NAO and trough placement over the Ohio Valley (per wxman57) might well favour impacts to these regions, but we'll see...
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Shell Mound » Mon May 14, 2018 2:50 pm

Bump for interested parties (closing time: 6:57 p.m. EDT on 1 June 2018). Georgia and the Carolinas are still leading the pack...
1 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby gatorcane » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:59 pm

Looks like storm2kers will get this one right (Re: Florence). We will see if any other regions have impacts from Florence or future storms.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”