New Goes East viewer is here.

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

New Goes East viewer is here.

#1 Postby OuterBanker » Sat May 05, 2018 11:45 am

I'm sure most are aware, but for those who aren't check out the newest viewer page. Wow, congrats NOAA. Wonderful, thanks.

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/GOES16_CONUS.php
3 likes   

Kalrany
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: New Goes East viewer is here.

#2 Postby Kalrany » Tue May 08, 2018 5:11 pm

Can this be sticky-ed for later reference, or is there a readily accessible post that this information could be added to?
1 likes   
TOTAL NOVICE. The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
Lansing MI, Galveston TX, Madison WI, Houston TX, Newark DE

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby OuterBanker » Fri May 11, 2018 8:24 pm

Kalrany wrote:Can this be sticky-ed for later reference, or is there a readily accessible post that this information could be added to?

I agree, should make it sticky. I keep using it for a quick reference to the viewer site. TPC site should go to it, but as of yet it hasn't done so.
1 likes   

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Sciencerocks » Fri May 11, 2018 8:40 pm

Hopefully we have floaters this year for the Atlantic.

If not than that will be a real lost for people that like to archives.
1 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#5 Postby wxman57 » Sat May 12, 2018 7:49 am

The satellite pics on that page are rather small compared to other GOES-16 sites.
1 likes   

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby OuterBanker » Sat May 12, 2018 12:42 pm

wxman57 wrote:The satellite pics on that page are rather small compared to other GOES-16 sites.

Wow, really. The Band 2 on the Goes site goes up to 10000 px by 6000 px. Other sites are higher?

Link please.
0 likes   

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby OuterBanker » Tue May 15, 2018 9:19 am

My bad, just realized that the local NWS sat link goes directly to it.
Never the less it’s great to see that there are cases of our tax dollars put to good use.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#8 Postby wxman57 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:23 am

OuterBanker wrote:
wxman57 wrote:The satellite pics on that page are rather small compared to other GOES-16 sites.

Wow, really. The Band 2 on the Goes site goes up to 10000 px by 6000 px. Other sites are higher?

Link please.

Was talking about the loops - they're small. GOES-16 Slider and College of DuPage sites have better animations. That website appears to be down at present.
1 likes   

TheAustinMan
Category 4
Category 4

#9 Postby TheAustinMan » Tue May 15, 2018 11:25 am

I've been interested in finding GOES-16 image providers online, so here's a short selection of a few GOES-16 data visualizers on the web:

• College of DuPage NEXLAB Viewer - this one's my favorite web viewer for GOES-16 data. Several preset views are provided, including global, CONUS, and mesoscale views in all bands. Data overlays and animation export options are also available, including data from the lightning mapper. Data goes back a few days.
  • SSEC Geostationary Satellite Imagery - geostationary image viewer for GOES-16 and other satellites, with all ABI bands available. Data goes back 24 hours. This one offers infrared imagery in grayscale, if you prefer those.
  • SSEC RealEarth - interactive map upon which you can add GOES-16 data layers from all bands and some derived products as well as other data from other satellites, allowing custom zoom and transparency options. The animation and time selection controls and rendering are occasionally buggy, though.
  • RAMMB Slider - given how much this viewer is used, it's akin to a "flagship" GOES-16 viewer. All ABI bands are available with custom zoom and overlays, as well as some derived products from both GOES and Eumetsat. Three GOES products can be blended together simultaneously. Data goes all the way back to July 2017. Personally I'm not the biggest fan of this viewer since it's a bit clunky to work with especially on slower computers, but there's a lot of customization options.
  • RAMMB GOES-16 Sector Viewer - provides views for some regions of interest in a few selected bands, as well as HTML5 animations and some archival imagery for this regions.
  • NOAA NESDIS GOES-East Image Viewer - I imagine this one's the official GOES-16 viewer that NOAA provides. All bands are available with moderate resolution loops and high resolution latest images that you can pan around, with various full disk, CONUS, mesoscale, and regional views provided.
  • George C. Marshall Space Flight Center GOES Images - this website's been around forever, and now provides full disk and CONUS views and image centering/size/resolution options with a selection of image color enhancements for ABI bands 2 (Vis), 5 (NIR), 7 (SWIR), 8 (WV), 13 (IR), and 14 (IR). It's a simple lightweight website for viewing GOES-16 data.
  • NASA SPoRT - moderate resolution views of GOES-16 sectors from all bands, as well as some derived products. So far this is the only site I've come across that provides Daytime Microphysics as an option.
  • University of Wisconsin Atmospheric and Ocean Sciences Viewer - provides pre-made images of some regions and GOES mesoscale sectors.[/url]
  • GOES-16 Cesium Viewer - projects GOES-16 infrared and lightning data on an interactive globe.

There are also many image providers outside the US, including:
3 likes   
ImageImageImage
- Treat my opinions with a grain of salt. For official information see your local weather service.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”