Eastern Gulf of Mexico Area of Interest

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Gulf of Mexico: Possible development Sub-Tropical or Tropical Low

#81 Postby Alyono » Mon May 14, 2018 11:25 am

gatorcane wrote:CMC coming in more bullish down to 1000MB before landfall:

that's the Caribbean system, not our current system
1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#82 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon May 14, 2018 11:27 am

cycloneye wrote:@pppapin
15z 14 May update: Radar suggests a new llvl vortex may be developing from the overnight convection offshore Tampa. In the meantime, plenty of heavy rainfall over #Florida today associated w/ the disturbance over the Gulf of Mexico.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/pppapin/status/996052434110709760[/twet]

I been watching that same mid level fearture fire convection couple times over night as it is rotating around the larger Gyre. very likely will work down to the surface at some point today if the convection continues.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#83 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon May 14, 2018 11:30 am

Shear is dropping fast as the upper trough shifts and weakens. looking like it has a small but very doable window in thenext 48 hours.

3 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#84 Postby cycloneye » Mon May 14, 2018 11:38 am

Note= This thread will remain open until Invest 90L is up so the peeps can continue to discuss about this area of interest again until the invest is up
2 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#85 Postby NotSparta » Mon May 14, 2018 11:41 am

:uarrow:

I'm surprised it hasn't been designated yet
1 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#86 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon May 14, 2018 11:42 am

0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#87 Postby tolakram » Mon May 14, 2018 11:52 am

2 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#88 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon May 14, 2018 12:02 pm

pretty clear we are seeing a low level vort/circ taking shape in association with that midlevel circ on radar and say.. there some curve low level clouds on the south side flowing into that area. may have some ssw winds. not closed off yet but some more convection and I would not be surprised to see chances go up this evening.

2 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#89 Postby northjaxpro » Mon May 14, 2018 12:08 pm

The mid level circulation west of Tampa Bay really looks good at this time. I also would not be surprised to see this area reflected at the surface and become the main Low center.
1 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#90 Postby wxman57 » Mon May 14, 2018 1:02 pm

Low-level circulation is reforming NE of this morning's position near 26N/83.6W. Winds across the NE Gulf remain light - 10-12 kts. Surface pressure is relatively high (1012-1013mb). Don't think we'll get much more than a weak low that could be classified as a TD or STD out of this. Not much wind, and not much rain.

2 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#91 Postby CyclonicFury » Mon May 14, 2018 1:07 pm

12z Euro coming in much weaker.
1 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#92 Postby LarryWx » Mon May 14, 2018 1:08 pm

Spaghetti models for "Invest 90L":

http://www.brevardtimes.com/2018/05/lat ... ti-models/

Is this not yet Invest 90L? This article from 10-11 AM EDT refers to it as that.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: From here: http://www.brevardtimes.com/2018/05/nat ... f-florida/

"The system, dubbed Invest 90L, is a broad surface low and trough interacting with an upper-level low that is producing a large area of cloudiness, showers, and thunderstorms extending from the eastern Gulf of Mexico across much of the Florida Peninsula."
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#93 Postby Steve » Mon May 14, 2018 1:22 pm

wxman57 wrote:Low-level circulation is reforming NE of this morning's position near 26N/83.6W. Winds across the NE Gulf remain light - 10-12 kts. Surface pressure is relatively high (1012-1013mb). Don't think we'll get much more than a weak low that could be classified as a TD or STD out of this. Not much wind, and not much rain.

Rain looks like a given though. Just offshore of Key West, there are some 10" totals coming in for the last 36 hours on the radar estimates. It's mostly in the 5ish inch range, and there are no special hazards/warnings on the Peninsula or islands beyond the marine warnings. But I'd bet there will be some 8-10"+ amounts over the next few days.
https://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.p ... 11&loop=no
1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#94 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon May 14, 2018 1:25 pm

Congrats everyone.. we have our first exposed weak low/vort of the season.. lol ..been cloud tracking and there are some clear ESE moving low level clouds seen in visible left over from that earlier mid level vort working down that has now been sheared off.. so from here all that is needed is convection to develop with it and off we go to a sub trop/TS.. :P

https://weather.msfc.nasa.gov/goes/abi/ ... and02.html
1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#95 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon May 14, 2018 1:34 pm

with that closed feature poking out now.. invest is likely coming very soon..

https://weather.msfc.nasa.gov/goes/abi/ ... and02.html
1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#96 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon May 14, 2018 1:39 pm

if anyone was unsure or doubting..

:P

2 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#97 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon May 14, 2018 1:58 pm

It is doing a large cyclonic loop as the overall larger gyre consolidates.. convection will likely start to develop shortly as this feature "rounds the turn"... if convection builds.. well then chances will likely go up to 60 to 70 later.
0 likes   

robbielyn
Category 5
Category 5

#98 Postby robbielyn » Mon May 14, 2018 2:23 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:It is doing a large cyclonic loop as the overall larger gyre consolidates.. convection will likely start to develop shortly as this feature "rounds the turn"... if convection builds.. well then chances will likely go up to 60 to 70 later.

This is exciting. If we get a TS, it will be the earliest TS in the GOM. Ahmaazing!
3 likes   
Robbielyn McCrary
I know just about enough to sound like I know what I'm talking about sometimes. But for your safety please follow the nhc for truly professional forecasting. :D

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#99 Postby jlauderdal » Mon May 14, 2018 2:35 pm

Steve wrote:
wxman57 wrote:Low-level circulation is reforming NE of this morning's position near 26N/83.6W. Winds across the NE Gulf remain light - 10-12 kts. Surface pressure is relatively high (1012-1013mb). Don't think we'll get much more than a weak low that could be classified as a TD or STD out of this. Not much wind, and not much rain.

Rain looks like a given though. Just offshore of Key West, there are some 10" totals coming in for the last 36 hours on the radar estimates. It's mostly in the 5ish inch range, and there are no special hazards/warnings on the Peninsula or islands beyond the marine warnings. But I'd bet there will be some 8-10"+ amounts over the next few days.
https://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.p ... 11&loop=no

3.99 event total at the house, going to be tough to generate anything additional the rest of today, dense overcast and the atmosphere is worked over
1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#100 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon May 14, 2018 2:40 pm

main factor for this will be the barely warm enough sst's... the strong upper divergence/baroclinic forcing may help offset that somewhat..
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”