Eastern Gulf of Mexico Area of Interest

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Gulf of Mexico: Possible development Sub-Tropical or Tropical Low? - STWO=30%-40%

#41 Postby ronjon » Sun May 13, 2018 3:41 pm

So far the low pressure still at mid-to-upper levels. Euro develops the low off the SW coast of FL by tomorrow morning then slowly drifts it NW. It actually gets shunted back southward into the GOM from 48-72 hrs before it heads NE into big bend of FL. Both new GFS and Euro develop 1003 mb tropical storm by 72 hrs.
0 likes   

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Gulf of Mexico: Possible development Sub-Tropical or Tropical Low? - STWO=30%-40%

#42 Postby Kazmit » Sun May 13, 2018 3:42 pm

tarheelprogrammer wrote:Shear is way too strong though, is it not?

It looks like there's an area of decreasing shear near it.

0 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

KatDaddy
Category 5
Category 5

#43 Postby KatDaddy » Sun May 13, 2018 3:51 pm

19 days until the official start of the 2018 Hurricane Season. The GFS model was showing different scenarios of tropical development last week. Now the SE GOM disturbance not yet an Invest but is being mentioned by the NHC this afternoon with a 40% chance of tropical development the next 5 days………and so it begins. A reminder that now is the time to be prepared for the upcoming season.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#44 Postby USTropics » Sun May 13, 2018 3:55 pm

Visually, convection has improved since last night. Doesn't appear to be very organized at the surface right now, though.

Wind shear will be a major inhibiting factor, with a constant displacement of convection to the E/ENE over Florida. We'll most likely see a system that struggles to maintain any sort of cloud coverage over an LLC, if one does develop:

You can see in the higher resolution SST images that the Loop Current does extend far enough north to support marginal temperatures for further organization.

1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#45 Postby cycloneye » Sun May 13, 2018 4:00 pm

18z surface analysis.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#46 Postby LarryWx » Sun May 13, 2018 4:00 pm

If this were to be named this week, it would become the earliest in the season G.O.M. TC or STS on record for a Gulf genesis.

#1 of 1933 was a W. Caribbean genesis that reached the Gulf as a TS late on 5/15:
http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atl ... /track.gif
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#47 Postby NDG » Sun May 13, 2018 4:03 pm

These early weak hybrid systems this time of the year have become almost the norm every year.
2 likes   

robbielyn
Category 5
Category 5

#48 Postby robbielyn » Sun May 13, 2018 4:26 pm

ronjon wrote:So far the low pressure still at mid-to-upper levels. Euro develops the low off the SW coast of FL by tomorrow morning then slowly drifts it NW. It actually gets shunted back southward into the GOM from 48-72 hrs before it heads NE into big bend of FL. Both new GFS and Euro develop 1003 mb tropical storm by 72 hrs.

i zoomed in possible landfall. Mexico beach area, well west of the big bend.
0 likes   
Robbielyn McCrary
I know just about enough to sound like I know what I'm talking about sometimes. But for your safety please follow the nhc for truly professional forecasting. :D

pcolaman
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Gulf of Mexico: Possible development Sub-Tropical or Tropical Low - STWO=30%-40%

#49 Postby pcolaman » Sun May 13, 2018 4:33 pm

And so it begins
3 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: Gulf of Mexico: Possible development Sub-Tropical or Tropical Low - STWO=30%-40%

#50 Postby wxman57 » Sun May 13, 2018 5:04 pm

I don't think that there was ever any thinking that a low wasn't going to develop in the Gulf early this week. The big question was whether the NHC would consider calling it a TD or STD before it moves ashore. Now that the folks at the NHC are back from their hurricane preparedness tour, it looks like they are thinking of upgrading the low on Tue or Wed. With moderate shear and coolish SSTs, this will only be a rain maker - for areas that need rain. Little chance of any wind impact.
8 likes   

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Gulf of Mexico: Possible development Sub-Tropical or Tropical Low

#51 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Sun May 13, 2018 5:51 pm

Good early-season warmup. Helps me get all my model links back together.
2 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

bamajammer4eva
Category 4
Category 4

#52 Postby bamajammer4eva » Sun May 13, 2018 6:44 pm

Latest Gusts according to 3k NAM :lol:

2 likes   

SEASON_CANCELED
Category 3
Category 3

#53 Postby SEASON_CANCELED » Sun May 13, 2018 7:43 pm

NAM is nuts. no way. ill eat crow if i am wrong. Still fixing IRMA damage round these parts..
2 likes   
i am a big stupid ugly moron with an ugly face and a big butt and my butt stinks and i like to kiss my own butt

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#54 Postby NotSparta » Sun May 13, 2018 7:53 pm

SEASON_CANCELED wrote:NAM is nuts. no way. ill eat crow if i am wrong. Still fixing IRMA damage round these parts..

NAM always overdoes TCs, don't look at it as it's not meant for tropical systems
1 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#55 Postby Sciencerocks » Sun May 13, 2018 8:26 pm

NotSparta wrote:
SEASON_CANCELED wrote:NAM is nuts. no way. ill eat crow if i am wrong. Still fixing IRMA damage round these parts..

NAM always overdoes TCs, don't look at it as it's not meant for tropical systems

Did ok with Harvey. Of course this isn't typical so it is always a wait and see as the environment will be unfavorable but a 45-50 knot tropical storm like Arlene or Alberto is possible.
1 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#56 Postby Alyono » Sun May 13, 2018 8:28 pm

NAM only drops it to 1000mb or so. It's not that unreasonable
5 likes   

Dylan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#57 Postby Dylan » Sun May 13, 2018 10:16 pm

NDG wrote:These early weak hybrid systems this time of the year have become almost the norm every year.

What’s unusual is that it’s in the Gulf of Mexico. It feels like these pre-season hybrid systems usually happen on the Atlantic side of Florida, and off the Carolinas. Looking at the data, the more aggressive solutions of the ECM & NAM don’t seem out of the realm of possibilities.
4 likes   
Georges('98), Allison('01), Isidore('02), Lili('02), Frances('04) Ivan('04), Cindy('05), Katrina('05), Rita('05), Gustav('08), Isaac('12), Matthew('16), Harvey('17), Irma('17), Nate ('17), Ida ('21).

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#58 Postby USTropics » Sun May 13, 2018 10:35 pm

00z GFS has a bit more consolidation of vorticity this run through 12 hours compared to it's previous runs, similar to the 12z run of the ECMWF at the same time frame:

00z GFS:

12z ECMWF:
2 likes   

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#59 Postby USTropics » Sun May 13, 2018 11:01 pm

There's a bit more organization from the 00z GFS run, but a similar outcome to previous runs (doesn't move as far north as the ECMWF solution, thus remains over the NE GOM). The vorticity becomes elongated and the system appears to be transitioning to frontal after 72 hours:

Rain will remain plentiful over Florida, especially enhanced convergence along the east coast of FL:

1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#60 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon May 14, 2018 12:35 am

it is always fun watching cyclogenesis on radar.. the sheared environment makes it that much more interesting.
1 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”