Eastern Gulf of Mexico Area of Interest

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Gulf of Mexico: Possible development Sub-Tropical or Tropical Low

#101 Postby CyclonicFury » Mon May 14, 2018 2:50 pm

New STWO lowers chances to 20/30
ABNT20 KNHC 141945
TWOAT

Special Tropical Weather Outlook
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL
345 PM EDT Mon May 14 2018

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

A deep-layer non-tropical area of low pressure located over the
eastern Gulf of Mexico continues to produce widespread cloudiness,
showers, and thunderstorms across much of Florida and southeastern
Georgia. Although this system could still acquire some subtropical
or tropical characteristics while it moves slowly northward across
the eastern Gulf of Mexico during the next few days, the low has
not shown signs of increased organization during the past 24 hours.
Regardless of subtropical or tropical cyclone formation, this system
will produce locally heavy rainfall and possible flash flooding
across portions of Florida and the southeastern United States during
the next few days. For more information on this system, please see
products issued by your local weather office. The next Special
Tropical Weather Outlook on this system will be issued by 9 AM EDT
on Tuesday.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...20 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...30 percent.

$$
Forecaster Berg
1 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Gulf of Mexico: Possible development Sub-Tropical or Tropical Low -Recon

#102 Postby cycloneye » Mon May 14, 2018 3:06 pm

Likely the mission will be canceled looking at what is going on. Also,no invest may be up.
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Gulf of Mexico: Possible development Sub-Tropical or Tropical Low: STWO lowers % to develop 20%-30%

#103 Postby cycloneye » Mon May 14, 2018 3:13 pm

We may not get the invest after all.
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Gulf of Mexico: Possible development Sub-Tropical or Tropical Low: STWO lowers % to develop 20%-30%

#104 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon May 14, 2018 3:19 pm

they said no signs of orginization ? well lets see we went from broad trough to a clear closed/vort that has grown larger throughout the day.. would not quite say there has been no change lol
1 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#105 Postby psyclone » Mon May 14, 2018 3:23 pm

Invest or not we are getting a boatload of much needed rain here. it is wonderful and it keeps reloading.
3 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#106 Postby MGC » Mon May 14, 2018 3:30 pm

Indeed, chances are slim a TC develops. Lots of dry continental air is being introduced into the weak circulation limiting convection near the circulation center, shear is a factor against development also. At least Florida is getting some rain. Bone dry here on the Mississippi Coast with Gulfport reporting 97 degrees with 32% RH.....MGC
2 likes   

Dylan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#107 Postby Dylan » Mon May 14, 2018 3:32 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:they said no signs of orginization ? well lets see we went from broad trough to a clear closed/vort that has grown larger throughout the day.. would not quite say there has been no change lol

You can spin it however you want, but this still has a long way to go before becoming a tropical cyclone. Winds are light, pressures are high, theres a lack of persistent deep convection, and there isn't a well defined surface circulation. Before that can even happen it needs to shake off it's non-tropical characteristics, which takes a lot of time.
2 likes   
Georges('98), Allison('01), Isidore('02), Lili('02), Frances('04) Ivan('04), Cindy('05), Katrina('05), Rita('05), Gustav('08), Isaac('12), Matthew('16), Harvey('17), Irma('17), Nate ('17), Ida ('21).

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#108 Postby wxman57 » Mon May 14, 2018 3:40 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:if anyone was unsure or doubting..

https://image.ibb.co/dnjuAd/GOES18322018134yi_KKc_P.jpg

Very small eddy rotating southwestward.
2 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#109 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon May 14, 2018 3:42 pm

wxman57 wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:if anyone was unsure or doubting..

https://image.ibb.co/dnjuAd/GOES18322018134yi_KKc_P.jpg

Very small eddy rotating southwestward.

yeppers as previously mentioned..
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#110 Postby Steve » Mon May 14, 2018 3:43 pm

MGC wrote:Indeed, chances are slim a TC develops. Lots of dry continental air is being introduced into the weak circulation limiting convection near the circulation center, shear is a factor against development also. At least Florida is getting some rain. Bone dry here on the Mississippi Coast with Gulfport reporting 97 degrees with 32% RH.....MGC

We were over there this weekend, and while hot, it was really nice at night with the lower humidity. There is a band setting up SW/NE that just brought in a marine warning for Mobile Bay, so you might see something come through today.

Otherwise, I'd disagree about shear being a factor against development. It's pretty critical that it's there for the early/late season homespun/hybrid systems, because that's the nature of what they usually are and how/where they usually form. Having said that, I don't know if anything will or won't form. It's mid-May, and while we have had some May storms in some of the recent oncoming El Nino years, a better bet is just an unclassified circulation.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#111 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon May 14, 2018 3:51 pm

In summary, it's a mess! I'd give development chances 10% AT BEST.

https://twitter.com/DrRickKnabb/status/996129446259232768

0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

stormhunter7
Category 2
Category 2

#112 Postby stormhunter7 » Mon May 14, 2018 4:26 pm

I can clearly see a low level swirl in visible hi-res satellite. This one is moving ssw. Must of been shot out of the broad low.

Last edited by stormhunter7 on Mon May 14, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov

SEASON_CANCELED
Category 3
Category 3

#113 Postby SEASON_CANCELED » Mon May 14, 2018 4:34 pm

Getting POUNDED with rain here in Lutz Florida. Flooding out. Starting to get concerned. Yard is a lake
0 likes   
i am a big stupid ugly moron with an ugly face and a big butt and my butt stinks and i like to kiss my own butt

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#114 Postby jlauderdal » Mon May 14, 2018 5:31 pm

jlauderdal wrote:
Steve wrote:
wxman57 wrote:Low-level circulation is reforming NE of this morning's position near 26N/83.6W. Winds across the NE Gulf remain light - 10-12 kts. Surface pressure is relatively high (1012-1013mb). Don't think we'll get much more than a weak low that could be classified as a TD or STD out of this. Not much wind, and not much rain.

Rain looks like a given though. Just offshore of Key West, there are some 10" totals coming in for the last 36 hours on the radar estimates. It's mostly in the 5ish inch range, and there are no special hazards/warnings on the Peninsula or islands beyond the marine warnings. But I'd bet there will be some 8-10"+ amounts over the next few days.
https://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.p ... 11&loop=no

3.99 event total at the house, going to be tough to generate anything additional the rest of today, dense overcast and the atmosphere is worked over
i spoke too soon, storms rolling through but wont make it this far east to add rain totals at my place
0 likes   

caneman
Category 5
Category 5

#115 Postby caneman » Mon May 14, 2018 5:35 pm

Saw quite a few flooded roads and parking lots in Clearwater today
0 likes   

TheAustinMan
Category 4
Category 4

Re: Eastern Gulf of Mexico Area of Interest

#116 Postby TheAustinMan » Mon May 14, 2018 5:54 pm

Broader evening look at the overall disturbance. Lots of messy convection about the eastern and northern flank with nice outflow, though the main circulation remains exposed.

201 KB. Data comes from NASA MSFC, but the color enhancement was done myself by mapping visible and longwave IR data to RGB color channels.
1 likes   
ImageImageImage
- Treat my opinions with a grain of salt. For official information see your local weather service.

Jag95
Category 1
Category 1

#117 Postby Jag95 » Mon May 14, 2018 5:57 pm

MGC wrote:Indeed, chances are slim a TC develops. Lots of dry continental air is being introduced into the weak circulation limiting convection near the circulation center, shear is a factor against development also. At least Florida is getting some rain. Bone dry here on the Mississippi Coast with Gulfport reporting 97 degrees with 32% RH.....MGC

It all died off yesterday before it got here, but it looks like it's going to make it this afternoon. Finally starting to get a much needed light rain here with some slightly heavier stuff moving in just to the east. A friend told me he just got some pea sized hail just across the bay.
0 likes   

stormhunter7
Category 2
Category 2

#118 Postby stormhunter7 » Mon May 14, 2018 5:59 pm

Shocked we didn't get an invest as of yet, and the next STWO will not be issued until tomorrow morning. Looking at GOES 16 data, lots of low to mid level dry air about to be brought into and over system. Almost looks like an we ULL is almost stacked vertically over this low swirl we see in visible satellite. Lots of dry air to the west of system. Looks like a heavy rain maker for sure for Florida.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#119 Postby MGC » Mon May 14, 2018 6:11 pm

Jag95 wrote:

It all died off yesterday before it got here, but it looks like it's going to make it this afternoon. Finally starting to get a much needed light rain here with some slightly heavier stuff moving in just to the east. A friend told me he just got some pea sized hail just across the bay.

A band of convection made it to the Mobile area and cooled it off quite a bit. A outflow boundary is currently moving across Jackson County MS and has kicked off a couple of cells....doubt that happens for me though, I'm too far west....

The disturbance looks disorganized this afternoon. It is over the coldest water in the GOM near 25C.....MGC
0 likes   

johngaltfla
Category 5
Category 5

#120 Postby johngaltfla » Mon May 14, 2018 6:23 pm

Heck, GFS usually classifies a storm like this as a Cat 4 storm. :lol:

Thankfully, not yet. But what a mess of rain we've been getting here on the West Coast of Florida. Buckle up ladies and gents, this could be one hell of a long, long season.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”