Disturbed Weather in NW Gulf/Texas

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Disturbed Weather in Gulf

#241 Postby NDG » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:00 am

I see nothing more than southerly winds at the surface this morning across the western GOM, confirmed by surface observations. Any rotation is still in the mid to upper levels. I doubt this will become an Invest today.

3 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#242 Postby wxman57 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:18 am

Yep, nothing there. No circulation developing, just rain moving ashore later today. Looks like we have enough time for a long (4.5hr) bike ride this morning.
3 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#243 Postby northjaxpro » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:20 am

:uarrow: Yeah NDG that pretty much sums it up. This will likely be just a potential significant rainmaker for the NW Gulf Coast region.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#244 Postby TheStormExpert » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:23 am

Is shear from the outflow of Carlotta the reason this won't be able to develop further? Just curious. :)
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#245 Postby NDG » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:41 am

TheStormExpert wrote:Is shear from the outflow of Carlotta the reason this won't be able to develop further? Just curious. :)

Not so much the outflow of Carlotta, there has been a pesky upper level low over the GOM the past few days which is what actually helped flare up this area of disturbed wx initially in the Caribbean, but the surface trough has moved fast towards the ULL, currently under neath it which is not the best set up for tropical development.
But if it can hang around near the TX coast over the next couple of days or maybe if some piece of energy left over from Carlotta moves north, models forecast better upper level conditions by then. But if it moves inland forget about it.
0 likes   

Clearcloudz
Category 2
Category 2

#246 Postby Clearcloudz » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:52 am

Travis Herzog ABC 13

See full post in link below
https://www.facebook.com/ABC13TravisHerzog/

9AM SUNDAY TROPICAL UPDATE

Near record levels of moisture for mid-June are about to blow into Texas tonight and Monday. This loop shows a weather variable I track called “Total Precipitable Water.” It tells us meteorologists how many inches of rain would fall if the atmosphere converted all its moisture into water and dumped it evenly over every square inch. The higher that number, the more likely it is we get heavy rain. Right now the deepest pocket of moisture is still offshore but moving this way. This means you can still pull off some of your outdoor plans this Father’s Day (especially this morning). Storm coverage will increase as we head into the afternoon as the atmosphere warms up. Water conditions will also deteriorate along the coast with dangerous rip currents, waves up to 8’, and minor coastal flooding. The deeper moisture will arrive tonight and tomorrow, increasing the threat of rain rates exceeding 3” per hour.

While the tropical disturbance remains disorganized and only has a 20% chance of forming into a tropical depression or storm, it is looking increasingly likely that some form of low pressure is going to get “trapped” near the central Texas coastline for a few days and actually strengthen even if over land. Name or no name, this will send copious amounts of rain into the coastal counties of Texas with rainfall projections from NOAA now exceeding 10” along the middle and lower Texas coastlines. I don’t have great confidence right now in the exact placement of those higher rain totals, and I wouldn’t rule out totals that high along the upper Texas coastline, either. Rainfall totals should drop off gradually (or even sharply) away from the coastal counties, especially for areas north of I-10.

My advice is to continue to monitor the weather closely before attempting to travel tonight thru Tuesday. The ground should have no problem absorbing the first few waves of rain that blow in given how dry it has been. I just hope the rain falls at a manageable rate until this weather system leaves us. I probably won’t post again until this evening. Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#247 Postby TheStormExpert » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:54 am

NDG wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:Is shear from the outflow of Carlotta the reason this won't be able to develop further? Just curious. :)

Not so much the outflow of Carlotta, there has been a pesky upper level low over the GOM the past few days which is what actually helped flare up this area of disturbed wx initially in the Caribbean, but the surface trough has moved fast towards the ULL, currently under neath it which is not the best set up for tropical development.
But if it can hang around near the TX coast over the next couple of days or maybe if some piece of energy left over from Carlotta moves north, models forecast better upper level conditions by then. But if it moves inland forget about it.

What the Euro shows just doesn't make sense, strengthens the low over NE Mexico.
:na:
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

drezee
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#248 Postby drezee » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:55 am

wxman57 wrote:Yep, nothing there. No circulation developing, just rain moving ashore later today. Looks like we have enough time for a long (4.5hr) bike ride this morning.

I'd bet you a coke that a quick LLC closed off right around port Arthur in less than 12 hours. I will record the observations.
1 likes   

drezee
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#249 Postby drezee » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:59 am

drezee wrote:
wxman57 wrote:Yep, nothing there. No circulation developing, just rain moving ashore later today. Looks like we have enough time for a long (4.5hr) bike ride this morning.

I'd bet you a coke that a quick LLC closed off right around port Arthur in less than 12 hours. I will record the observations.

Have to find a wind SW at least 240 degrees to be fair
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#250 Postby wxman57 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:02 am

drezee wrote:

You're on!
1 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#251 Postby wxman57 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:03 am

drezee wrote:
drezee wrote:

Nope - that could be a thunderstorm outflow. Has to be analyzed on the surface map.
1 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#252 Postby NDG » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:04 am

TheStormExpert wrote:
NDG wrote:

What the Euro shows just doesn't make sense, strengthens the low over NE Mexico.
:na:

Yeah, I was just looking at the HD Euro run from last night. It will probably be the first time a TS forms completely over land if the Euro was to be correct, which I doubt. :lol:

2 likes   

Clearcloudz
Category 2
Category 2

#253 Postby Clearcloudz » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:07 am

0 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#254 Postby Haris » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:29 am

NAM trends N !

Could be a Central Texas rain maker
2 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

Clearcloudz
Category 2
Category 2

#255 Postby Clearcloudz » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:50 am

@crankywxguy
0 likes   

Clearcloudz
Category 2
Category 2

#256 Postby Clearcloudz » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:52 am

Waves of heavy rain possible for Texas. No real organization showing up on the NAM

@crankywxguy
Last edited by Clearcloudz on Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   

Clearcloudz
Category 2
Category 2

#257 Postby Clearcloudz » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:58 am

Incredible convection firing in the Gulf of Mexico.

0 likes   

drezee
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#258 Postby drezee » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:08 am

wxman57 wrote:
drezee wrote:
drezee wrote:I'd bet you a coke that a quick LLC closed off right around port Arthur in less than 12 hours. I will record the observations.

Nope - that could be a thunderstorm outflow. Has to be analyzed on the surface map.

Agreed, at least 240 for two hourly obs. Outflow should dissipate over that time period. Plus we would be able to see it on visible. I wouldn't cheat.
0 likes   

TexWx
Category 1
Category 1

#259 Postby TexWx » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:21 am

ForexTidbits wrote:Incredible convection firing in the Gulf of Mexico.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Df5mkzOXUAEiOzC.jpg

Awesome
0 likes   

Clearcloudz
Category 2
Category 2

#260 Postby Clearcloudz » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:30 am

Houston getting a quick morning shower.

2 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”