Disturbed Weather in NW Gulf/Texas

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Disturbed Weather in Gulf

#281 Postby Cpv17 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:08 pm

Plenty of rain for your area in Victoria, Jaguars. Euro shows 15-17” at least for now, but at this rate of shifting north, the heaviest totals could end up happening around Houston towards Beaumont like the models had it a few days ago.
2 likes   

wxman22
Category 3
Category 3

#282 Postby wxman22 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:34 pm

I wonder if there's a reason why the Tropical Outlook is late?...
1 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#283 Postby South Texas Storms » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:36 pm

wxman22 wrote:I wonder if there's a reason why the Tropical Outlook is late?...

It's not late...just didn't update on the NHC website for some reason. Here is the 2pm EDT update: https://nwschat.weather.gov/p.php?pid=201806171725-KNHC-ABNT20-TWOAT
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#284 Postby cycloneye » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:40 pm

wxman22 wrote:I wonder if there's a reason why the Tropical Outlook is late?...

I posted it at 1:29 PM on the prior page. (Page 14)
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

stormreader
Category 5
Category 5

#285 Postby stormreader » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:43 pm

NDG wrote:Is a good thing the surface trough axis is going to be moving inland soon, as if its vorticity is becoming better defined this afternoon just offshore.

That be a lot of moisture headed toward Texas.
1 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#286 Postby Haris » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:49 pm

Not a lot of time left . NWS needs to act
and issue flood watches for parts of the coastline
3 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#287 Postby SoupBone » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:11 pm

ForexTidbits wrote:12Z EURO rainfall is a Wow, Wow, Wow

Here is a link where you can see the rainfall in the most recent run and all members as well.

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/2018061712/usa/acc-total-precipitation/20180624-0000z.html

Well either these models are severely overhyping rainfall amounts, or the pro-mets are being very conservative.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

lrak
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#288 Postby lrak » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:20 pm

Buoy off the central coast of TX has a SW wind now. Is this a trend so to speak or an outflow boundary making the wind light and variable? It's at the surface and the pressures have been kinda staying low.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=42019
1 likes   
AKA karl

Also
My posts on this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. My posts are my basic observations and are definitely not backed by any "well some" meteorological knowledge. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#289 Postby SoupBone » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:31 pm

wxman22 wrote:The Euro shifts further north, the ICON model's scenario doesn't look as questionable anymore...

So what model was underestimating Harvey? It was showing 20 or so inches of I remember. I'm not suggesting that obviously, but it understimated total amounts by a good bit. I'm a bit concerned seeing these numbers over a 3 day period.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Clearcloudz
Category 2
Category 2

#290 Postby Clearcloudz » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:39 pm

SoupBone wrote:
ForexTidbits wrote:12Z EURO rainfall is a Wow, Wow, Wow

Here is a link where you can see the rainfall in the most recent run and all members as well.

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/2018061712/usa/acc-total-precipitation/20180624-0000z.html

Well either these models are severely overhyping rainfall amounts, or the pro-mets are being very conservative.

Specifically the EURO which wants to dump for days but I think its also to important to keep in mind that euro got a update 2 weeks ago and could be overdoing it like you said. Just have to keep watching because GFS is not showing anything like what the EURO is showing.

In addition the GFS has been consistent with its runs while the EURO continues to change.
0 likes   

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#291 Postby USTropics » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:42 pm

Harvey was a well organized system that spent days, still with a vigorous vorticity at it's core, pulling in moisture from the GOM. Harvey was trapped, and took special circumstances to create that scenario. The ECMWF has questionable cyclone genesis (interaction with terrain certainly seems suspect), and there's no other real model support. That certainly is enhancing rainfall totals on the ECMWF product. I would strongly suggest using a blend of other rainfall estimate products with the ECMWF (and of course using the WPC graphs: http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/day1-7.shtml):

4 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#292 Postby jasons2k » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:44 pm

There are TS-force gusts out in the Gulf. I can also see a mid-level circulation on radar and satellite, roughly south of Cameron, LA and east of Corpus. Headed NW.
2 likes   

lrak
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#293 Postby lrak » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:44 pm

People are still trying to fix roofs in that area due to Harvey. Not good. Some had no insurance and no money some had insurance and are still in constant battle with insurance companies.
0 likes   
AKA karl

Also
My posts on this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. My posts are my basic observations and are definitely not backed by any "well some" meteorological knowledge. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Clearcloudz
Category 2
Category 2

#294 Postby Clearcloudz » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:49 pm

jasons wrote:There are TS-force gusts out in the Gulf. I can also see a mid-level circulation on radar and satellite, roughly south of Cameron, LA and east of Corpus. Headed NW.

1 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#295 Postby South Texas Storms » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:56 pm

18z NAM shifted a bit southwest and now stalls a weak low across south TX.
1 likes   

stormreader
Category 5
Category 5

#296 Postby stormreader » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:59 pm

jasons wrote:There are TS-force gusts out in the Gulf. I can also see a mid-level circulation on radar and satellite, roughly south of Cameron, LA and east of Corpus. Headed NW.

I know that here in SW La, with just small cells of storms coming in occasionally, its gotten pretty gusty. Looking at the mass of this weather offshore, when it gets to Texas, pretty sure there will be tropical storm conditions up and down the coast. Lots of rain. Hard to say with these models how much of it will remain for how long---I think in general, looking at the charts, it looks like the models are counting on a south to north training perhaps just west of Houston.
1 likes   

stormreader
Category 5
Category 5

#297 Postby stormreader » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:06 pm

Also, think Steve, and one of the other posters (can't remember now) talked about a sort of tropical incubator being set up behind this system. If you look further south and east in the general Yucatan area, you can see how juiced the atmosphere remains. Steve said it was kind of a strange set up. It started with 91l (it led the way) but was generally harmless, but this disturbance is coming, and looking behind it, you may get further disturbance coming in general from the NW Carib in succeeding days. Everything moving WNW in general direction of Texas coast for the next few days.
2 likes   

stormlover2013
Category 5
Category 5

#298 Postby stormlover2013 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:13 pm

To be honest icon has been the most consistent model the last 2 days
0 likes   

stormreader
Category 5
Category 5

#299 Postby stormreader » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:23 pm

Ok. Jason mentioned what looked like a developing mid level circulation south of La. I’m not much at posting images. But if someone would post a good visible pic of the system. There does look to be some significant and tightening turning developing well south of Cameron, La. No comments here, just saying.
0 likes   

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#300 Postby USTropics » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:52 pm

stormreader wrote:Ok. Jason mentioned what looked like a developing mid level circulation south of La. I’m not much at posting images. But if someone would post a good visible pic of the system. There does look to be some significant and tightening turning developing well south of Cameron, La. No comments here, just saying.

Mid level vort:
2 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”