Disturbed Weather (now inland over Texas)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Siker
Category 4
Category 4

Disturbed Weather (now inland over Texas)

#1 Postby Siker » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:40 am

Starting a thread for this since there is a clear area to look at, if not much model support at this time.

Saved IR loop:

Last edited by Siker on Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
1 likes   

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Disturbed Weather Over Northeastern Gulf

#2 Postby NotSparta » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:47 am

Siker wrote:Starting a thread for this since there is a clear area to look at, if not much model support at this time.

Saved IR loop:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/nckUOie.gif[img]

Looks like leftovers from yesterday's MCSs
0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

ava_ati
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#3 Postby ava_ati » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:48 am

0 likes   

Siker
Category 4
Category 4

#4 Postby Siker » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:56 am

Shear looks to be light for the next few days. The main issue will be land interaction. You can see there are two centers of vorticity: one in the Gulf and one over Georgia. Models show these areas pivoting around each other like a meek Fujiwhara interaction, dragging the area over the Gulf onshore.

0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby Steve » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:01 am

Yeah, I think it's basically a surface trough with mid-level energy juicing it. Some people said nothing would form there due to shear. But it was an eddy position, and I would expect to see some spin over the weekend along with some pulsing as the trough retrogrades across the Gulf. If the eventual low level circulation is over water, I'd give it about a 15% shot at forming a depression and maybe a 5% chance at a tropic storm toward the Texas Gulf Coast. But either way, most of the NE and NC Gulf will be on the wet side of the trough in the coming days, so the heat might get broken down a bit.
0 likes   

Stormcenter
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby Stormcenter » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:54 pm

\
Convection building somewhat in NE Gulf.

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?pa ... colorbars=
0 likes   

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby ronjon » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:20 pm

Starting to pick up some weak banding on radar - could all be mid-level though. Lowest pressure about 30.00 at Cross City.

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/SAT_CARIBWIDE/anim8vis.html
https://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=TBW&product=N0Z&overlay=11101111&loop=yes
0 likes   

stormhunter7
Category 2
Category 2

#8 Postby stormhunter7 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:50 pm

Clearly can see the 850mb spin just off the coast of Apalachicola, in the bay.

It shows up great on close-up visible on GOES-16!
http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=local-FL_Panhandle-truecolor-48-1-25-1&checked=map&colorbars= **Speed up animation and it may help see it.
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby Steve » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:59 pm

It’s pretty juicy. Lots of gust fronts on the perimeter in all directions along with strong T-storms bubbling up on land. I still don’t think anything is going to come out of the but maybe a cool low pressure looking feature along the north gulf or se us.

Rain missed us just to the north and south but lots of thunder and lightning. Qpf for 00Z Sat has 2.5 to 7” across the inmediate Gulf Coast and adjacent coastal waters.
0 likes   

Clearcloudz
Category 2
Category 2

#10 Postby Clearcloudz » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:46 pm

Last edited by Clearcloudz on Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

tailgater
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby tailgater » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:30 am

I can't see any low forming over southern GA/ALA yet but possibly in the NE GOM west of Tampa.

Last edited by tailgater on Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Clearcloudz
Category 2
Category 2

#12 Postby Clearcloudz » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:24 am

0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby NDG » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:00 am

Not just land interaction, UL conditions will be going downhill starting early next week as the stacked heat ridge takes over the eastern US with ULLs rotating around it across the GOM, as I previously mentioned.

2 likes   

SEASON_CANCELED
Category 3
Category 3

#14 Postby SEASON_CANCELED » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:01 am

Getting hit pretty good with rain in land o lakes florida. 3 inches in the beaker
0 likes   
i am a big stupid ugly moron with an ugly face and a big butt and my butt stinks and i like to kiss my own butt

Javlin
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby Javlin » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:49 pm

SEASON_CANCELED wrote:Getting hit pretty good with rain in land o lakes florida. 3 inches in the beaker

That's all I want rain have not seen anything good/significant in 2 weeks probably along the MSGC
2 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16 Postby MGC » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:04 pm

Weak spin on long range Tampa radar out over GOM. Lets see if it persists. Way up in the atmosphere though....MGC
3 likes   

lrak
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17 Postby lrak » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:43 pm

It appears the broad low over S. Georgia and N. Central Florida has tipped it's toes in the warm GOM via ocular analysis of course but some surface readings show this broad low. Any surf possibilities from the Pros? Would love a North swell in the summer...now it's chop and wash crummy stuff. Unpredictable....ugh
0 likes   
AKA karl

Also
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
My posts on this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. My posts are my basic observations and are definitely not backed by any "well some" meteorological knowledge. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#18 Postby srainhoutx » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:27 pm

lrak wrote:It appears the broad low over S. Georgia and N. Central Florida has tipped it's toes in the warm GOM via ocular analysis of course but some surface readings show this broad low. Any surf possibilities from the Pros? Would love a North swell in the summer...now it's chop and wash crummy stuff. Unpredictable....ugh

Not seeing any surfing weather for you with this disturbance as it's a mid/upper level feature and certainly will not be anything tropical in nature. Interesting that we've seen some of the "bluest water" along the Upper Texas Coast in many years. I can't recalled such an extended period where the Gulf along Galveston almost looks like S Padre Island... :wink:
0 likes   
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Wx Infinity Forums
http://wxinfinity.com/index.php

Facebook.com/WeatherInfinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity

lrak
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#19 Postby lrak » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:11 pm

srainhoutx wrote:
lrak wrote:It appears the broad low over S. Georgia and N. Central Florida has tipped it's toes in the warm GOM via ocular analysis of course but some surface readings show this broad low. Any surf possibilities from the Pros? Would love a North swell in the summer...now it's chop and wash crummy stuff. Unpredictable....ugh

Not seeing any surfing weather for you with this disturbance as it's a mid/upper level feature and certainly will not be anything tropical in nature. Interesting that we've seen some of the "bluest water" along the Upper Texas Coast in many years. I can't recalled such an extended period where the Gulf along Galveston almost looks like S Padre Island... :wink:

Yes S. Padre we call it Costa Rica for Free....sometimes... 4 guys in a truck with 8 boards depending on the conditions...gas money...sleep in the truck at the park, it gets blue like the Pacific with swell to match sometimes....Hurricane Bill IRC correctly I saw guys towing in with Sea Doos...And I've been up and down the Pacific even made it to Hawaii on a bonus compliance crap. But I got to SURF Hawaii.
0 likes   
AKA karl

Also
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
My posts on this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. My posts are my basic observations and are definitely not backed by any "well some" meteorological knowledge. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#20 Postby wxman57 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:31 am

You don't have to guess if there's anything at the surface. Obs indicate a broad, weak low south of the western FL Panhandle. Development chances very low, but it will be a rain producer as it moves west along the coast.

3 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”