Disturbed Weather (now inland over Texas)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Javlin
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Disturbed Weather Over Northeastern Gulf

#81 Postby Javlin » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:44 pm

I can,t see the EC/GFS both being wrong on a 24hr forcast.If that happens both models need some work.Look at the radar out of Mobile can see a circulation S of Mobile now.

https://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.p ... 1&loop=yes
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#82 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:58 pm

the circ that everyone is mentioning appears to be only in the low to mid levels. surface obs point farther south.

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?pa ... colorbars=

1 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#83 Postby SoupBone » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:26 pm

jasons wrote:Update from local Met Jeff Lindner:

An area of low pressure has formed overnight south of the Pensacola/Mobile area over the northern Gulf of Mexico. This is confirmed by both coastal observation sites, coastal radars, and offshore buoys/oil platforms indicating a broad counter clockwise wind field has formed. Land based radar show numerous showers and thunderstorms associated with this feature mainly offshore of the NE Gulf coast.

The National Hurricane Center on its most recent tropical weather outlook gives this feature a 10% chance of additional development before it moves inland over SE LA tonight into Tuesday.

This feature will continue to move westward and arrive into SE TX late Tuesday into Wednesday although that might be a bit fast given the current satellite and radar trends. Expect our currently very dry air mass to become rapidly saturated early on Wednesday with numerous showers and thunderstorms likely, especially in the region between Houston and Lake Charles. PWS surge to near 2.4 inches on Wednesday which will support a heavy rainfall threat.

Current rainfall amounts are expected to average 1-2 inches over the region with isolated much higher amounts. There is still some uncertainty as to where the greatest rainfall amounts may occur, although there has been some indication of the region between Houston and Lake Charles could see some of the heavier rainfall.

Note: Such weak “tropical lows” can become very effective rainfall producers, so it will be important to monitor the forecast over the next 36-48 hours for any changes.

A wet pattern will remain in place with an upper level high to our north resulting in easterly upper level flow over SE TX for the next several days post Wednesday. Tropical waves within this flow will result in good coverage of daily thunderstorms late this week into the weekend.

Yeah, between Houston and Lake Charles doesn't really need or want anymore rain, not after their most recent deluge.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#84 Postby SoupBone » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:32 pm

Stormcenter wrote:Not sure what's going on, it does seem as though something is trying to consolidate to the SW.

https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES16 ... 0x1000.gif

Nederlander wrote:
wxman57 wrote:Convection now weakening around the weak low center. Fairly significant NE shear overhead, too. No development. You can clearly see a weak swirl rotating rapidly NW on the sat loop below (use the slider at the bottom of the image).

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=subregional-E_Gulf_Coast-02-48-0-100-1&checked=map&colorbars=

So the main low level feature is the rotation just south of the AL/FL border? I was thinking the center was trying to consolidate under that convective blob to the SW..

Do we have a closeup of this type of imagery with SAL included? SAL is headed toward the Greater Houston Area, and the rest of the GoM. Just curious to see its location, relative to this system.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#85 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:27 pm

Also need to watch that meso scale cluster entering into the gulf of the LA Coast. it is starting to rotate.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

Weather150
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#86 Postby Weather150 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:30 pm

Don't expect anything to develop out of this, nothing much to see here, It will be inland tomorrow.
1 likes   

drezee
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#87 Postby drezee » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:33 pm

drezee Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:17 am wrote:Coin flip on whether it can travel WSW over the next 24 hours. It has a chance to track along the trough axis. Agreed that W is the prevailing flow.

57, I should have bet a coke on this one double or nothing...
0 likes   

LSU2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#88 Postby LSU2001 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:39 pm

I am not expecting much tropical development out of this due to proximity to land, however, heavy rains and possible flooding is something to watch closely. It does not take a tremedous amount of rain to cause serious flooding concerns in coastal La.
Tim
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Stormcenter
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#89 Postby Stormcenter » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:02 pm

If we are still tracking the same center of this low then it sure doesn't seem to be in any hurry.

https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES16 ... 0x1000.gif
0 likes   

stormhunter7
Category 2
Category 2

#90 Postby stormhunter7 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:07 pm

Beautiful visible today on the broad low. No clear COC IMO, just broad now and very close to LA coast.

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=local-New_Orleans-truecolor-48-0-25-1&checked=map&colorbars=
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov

pcbjr
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#91 Postby pcbjr » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:18 pm

Nothing but a July rainstorm ...

:sprinkler:
0 likes   
Just then the wind came squalling through the door,
But who can the weather command?

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#92 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:21 pm

THere is nothing east of LA. east winds taking over in that region. next possible area would be that convection off to the south. and definitely watch that mesoscale feature.
1 likes   

lrak
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#93 Postby lrak » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:07 pm

Curious to why all the convection is on the West side of the broad low instead of the East side?
0 likes   
AKA karl

Also
My posts on this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. My posts are my basic observations and are definitely not backed by any "well some" meteorological knowledge. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#94 Postby MGC » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:26 pm

Shear has really picked up this afternoon over the north GOM. Looks to me that the low will skirt the LA coast. Still a small possibility of development. Shear might relax once the thunderstorms over land die off.....MGC
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#95 Postby cycloneye » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:46 pm

A large area of disorganized showers and thunderstorms extending
from the north-central Gulf of Mexico across the western Florida
panhandle is associated with a broad and weak area of low pressure.
Interaction with land, along with proximity to dry air in the
mid-levels of the atmosphere, should prevent tropical cyclone
formation while the disturbance moves westward and inland over
southeastern Louisiana tonight through Tuesday. However, locally
heavy rainfall along portions of the northern Gulf Coast will be
possible during the next couple of days. Additional information on
this system can be found in products issued by your local National
Weather Service office.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...near 0 percent.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#96 Postby jasons2k » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:48 pm

Shear city for now...we will see what happens overnight but a near 0% lemon sounds about right.
1 likes   

lrak
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#97 Postby lrak » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:39 pm

I don't know but the last visible satellite loop looks like a low is due east from the tip of LA and the radar is starting to fill in with rain in the same area?

https://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?pro ... B&loop=yes

https://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?pro ... X&loop=yes

Also just noticed the rain rate is increasing out there.

https://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?pro ... X&loop=yes
1 likes   
AKA karl

Also
My posts on this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. My posts are my basic observations and are definitely not backed by any "well some" meteorological knowledge. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#98 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:27 pm

looks like whatever is out there at the surface is still elongated off the mouth of the Mississippi river.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#99 Postby wxman57 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:47 am

The weak low is moving inland into SE LA this morning. Center is north of the mouth of the MS, as can be seen below. Not much convection. Development chances 0.01% or less.

0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Disturbed Weather Over North-Central Gulf

#100 Postby Aric Dunn » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:42 am

Looks like SAL Tooks over lol.. the circ though is still east of the LA barely moving.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”