Does the formation of Beryl in MDR on early July change how rest of season will be?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K

Do you think the formation of TD TWO / Beryl change your thinking for rest of season?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:27 am

Yes,rest of season will be active
32%
No,rest of season will be average to below average
68%

Total votes: 53

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Does the formation of Beryl in MDR on early July change how rest of season will be?

#21 Postby TheStormExpert » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:41 am

CyclonicFury wrote:
MississippiWx wrote:
HurricaneRyan wrote:After today, I don't think it says much. Beryl reformed in the subtropical atlantic, and Chris developed there too.

Exactly. Dust, below average SST anomalies (along with unfavorable spatial anomalies), higher than normal MSLP, and shear are all unfavorable for development in the MDR. The subtropics are the place to look. Of course, systems staying weak in the MDR increase the risk of them making it farther west and finding more favorable conditions closer to land. It’s not always a good thing when the MDR is unfavorable.

IMO, dust in July is a fairly meaningless indicator for saying conditions will be unfavorable during the season. In fact, there has been a correlation between July SAL outbreaks and active seasons. There's almost always going to be SAL in July, active or quiet season.

I believe this was what happened last season. Never a good indication whether you have significant SAL outbreaks or not. Still a hurricane in the MDR in July is impressive regardless of if it was a so called "micro-cane" or not.
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Does the formation of Beryl in MDR on early July change how rest of season will be?

#22 Postby Shell Mound » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:11 am

https://twitter.com/webberweather/status/1016685633299996672

https://twitter.com/NotSparta_wx/status/1017236285357002752

https://twitter.com/NotSparta_wx/status/1017246427309838336

WAM = West African Monsoon

This factor probably had much to do with the formation of Beryl and could well indicate a near-to-slightly-above-average season (contrary to my previous expectations for a well-below-average year). Additionally, indicators suggest that El Niño, if any, will not emerge in time to affect the upcoming seasonal peak in ASO. The strong WAM, relaxed trade regime, reduced MSLPs, and weaker +PMM/+ENSO signal all suggest continued warming of the MDR to above-average SSTs by the peak of the 2018 season. We could see particularly dramatic warming toward the end of July and into early August, owing to the strong SAL suppressing convection and increasing insolation over the MDR. Virtually all seasons with two or more pre-August hurricanes ended up as above-average years, some of them hyperactive. While I don't anticipate a season like last year's, activity and ACE on par with 2016 seems well within reach — in other words, a potentially slightly-above-average year. If I were to revise my forecast now, I would call for fourteen to sixteen named storms, six to eight hurricanes, and three to four majors, with an ACE index of ~130 to 140.
1 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#23 Postby SFLcane » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:24 am

:uarrow: Can’t rule it out. But one ignores the high trade and shear in the Caribbean at your own risk for a seasonal forecast. An active WAM is your best hope for activity
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”