The "Real" Hurricane season

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
beoumont
Category 1
Category 1

The "Real" Hurricane season

#1 Postby beoumont » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:26 am

I have begrudgingly come to realize that the real hurricane season runs form August 20 - Oct 20. A vast majority of Majors occurs during this period; with, of course a few exceptions. I often refer to 1961 when things start slow, to provide optimism that an active, intense season can still occur, having only one named storm through the end of August. After that 2 cat 5s, 2 cat 4s, : note the max winds of each.

0 likes   
List of 79 tropical cyclones intercepted by Richard Horodner:
http://www.canebeard.com/page/page/572246.htm

TheAustinMan
Category 4
Category 4

Re: The "Real" Hurricane season

#2 Postby TheAustinMan » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:58 am

Here is a plot of all tropical cyclone points in the hurricane database by day of the year. There's a gradual growth in activity beginning in May that really increases quite dramatically in August before coming back down pretty quickly after October 15.

Source: Generated in Excel from HURDAT
2 likes   
ImageImageImage
- Treat my opinions with a grain of salt. For official information see your local weather service.

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

Re: The "Real" Hurricane season

#3 Postby Ptarmigan » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:13 pm

As they say, August to October is the peak of the hurricane season.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”