A year since Hurricane Harvey 2017

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
KatDaddy
Category 5
Category 5

A year since Hurricane Harvey 2017

#1 Postby KatDaddy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:58 pm

This is the time of year when I reflect on past tropical cyclones that have made landfall along the Upper and Middle TX Coast. Just a few to share this evening:

1 year since Hurricane Harvey
10 years since Hurricane IKE
17 years since TS Allison
35 years since Hurricane Alicia
39 years since TS Claudette
48 years since Hurricane Celia
57 years since Hurricane Carla
75 years since the 1943 “Surprise Hurricane” during WWII
103 years since the 1915 Hurricane
118 years since the Galveston 1900 Hurricane

TS Claudette 1979 was a localized extreme flooding event that I thought I would never see again in my lifetime…..only 11 at the time.

TS Claudette: Alvin, Texas, was deluged by 43 inches of rain in 24 hours from July 24-25, 1979, setting an all-time record 24-hour rainfall for the U.S. Still awaiting Hawaii’s 49.69” in 24 hours to be official and break the Alvin, TX record for the US.

Fast forward to 2018 and now 49 year’s old we had Harvey. TS Claudette’s lazy brother who drifted across SE TX and SW LA dumping epic rainfall totals over multiple days. That late Saturday and early Sunday morning a year ago had the same extreme rainfall rates I remember from Claudette in Pearland 1979. Mom and Dad’s home did not flood in Claudette, Allison, or Harvey. Lets hope the rest of the 2018 Hurricane Season remains quiet but this is the time to be ready.
6 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

Re: A year since Hurricane Harvey 2017

#2 Postby Shell Mound » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:09 pm

This post truly illustrates the difference between 2017 and 2018 up to this point in time—in a good way, fortunately. The 2017 season really turned mean after the formation of Harvey, the first of ten consecutive hurricanes. Between Harvey and Ophelia, there was nearly nonstop activity, death, and destruction. The coexistence of hurricanes Irma, Jose, and Katia was something to behold, encapsulating the frenetic pace of the '17 peak. Watching Harvey intensify to Cat-4 status just before landfall in TX, I already sensed that 2017 was diverging markedly from recent seasons, in an ominous way. The rainfall and damage from that storm only furthered my initial suspicions. Texas, like so many other areas, is still recovering from the storms of '17. My family and I had to evacuate from Tampa Bay in anticipation of Irma, driving all the way north to Columbia, SC, via Savannah, GA. Maybe this thread can become the "remember 2017" thread, since so many of us experienced the collective impact. "One year since all the storms of 2017..."
1 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Shell Mound » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:57 am

On the thirteenth anniversary of Katrina, the official U.S. death toll from Maria in Puerto Rico is now 2,975—second deadliest after Galveston 1900 (8,000+).
 https://twitter.com/TheRadicalMod/status/1034781217072275457

Expect the NHC's TCR on Maria to reflect the revised death toll, accordingly. Unfortunately, I'm not surprised. How tragic a storm Maria was... :cry:
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Shell Mound » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:48 am

0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”