How many named storms will form in September?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K

Poll ended at Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:28 am

One
4%
Two
6%
Three
19%
Four
15%
Five
31%
Six
9%
Seven
2%
Eight
7%
Nine
2%
Ten or more
2%
None will form
4%

Total votes: 54

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#1 Postby cycloneye » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:28 am

Come and vote on this poll that closes on August 31rst at 11:28 AM EDT. There are plenty of options to vote for including the extremes 10 or more and none will form.

I voted for Five.
3 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

Re: How many named storms will form in September?

#2 Postby CyclonicFury » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:29 am

Voted four.
0 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Hurricaneman » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:24 am

I said 10 and think a large burst after next week is possible
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Hammy » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:56 am

Four, with only one of those before Sep 10.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Shell Mound » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:35 pm

While I am quite bearish on the prospects for a major hurricane to develop, I do anticipate a distinct uptick in overall TC activity in September. Despite unfavourable conditions, a few weak and/or short-lived tropical storms in the MDR appear to be a good bet, primarily within the first two weeks of the month. The remainder of activity is likely to be concentrated over the subtropics, where vertical wind shear is lower and instability higher. One or more of those high-latitude systems is likely to become a hurricane, though probably not a major. I don't foresee any hurricanes in the MDR, Caribbean, or Gulf in September, but a couple may form over the subtropical Atlantic and curve out to sea. Therefore, I am going for four tropical cyclones in September: two tropical storms in the (eastern) MDR, most likely close to West Africa, and two hurricanes over the open subtropical Atlantic.
1 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#6 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:17 am

A reminder for those who have not voted to come and vote on this question. Poll closes on Friday at 11:28 AM EDT.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby NDG » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:32 am

With warm ENSO being central based and still not up to El Nino I am thinking around 8 storms will form in September, which at least 2 will become major hurricanes.
Also, the CFv2 has been trending to basically no shear problems across the basing during September.
Last edited by NDG on Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby Kazmit » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:36 am

I'm going to go with five. With warm, untouched ssts all around the basin, and the movement of the MJO, I think an outbreak is imminent.
2 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

CaliforniaResident
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#9 Postby CaliforniaResident » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:48 am

I'm going to go with 4: 2 TS and 2 hurricanes, one being a major.
0 likes   

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby OuterBanker » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:38 am

LOL, I suspect that the 5's all showed up after the most recent Euro model were released. :D
2 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby TheStormExpert » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:34 am

Five, three of them hurricanes, and one of those three hurricanes being a major (likely the 10/50% area).
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#12 Postby cycloneye » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:40 pm

All voting has ended as poll has closed and option FIVE won. Interesting that 06L may be upgraded to Tropical Storm Florence at 11 PM EDT.
1 likes   

Blinhart
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby Blinhart » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:30 am

I wish I would of seen this earlier, I would of voted either 8/9. I say 5/6 Hurricanes and 2/3 Majors.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby galaxy401 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:52 am

Going to be an interesting contest. Three days in and we already have 2 named storms.
3 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby NDG » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:54 am

Only September 4th and already two named storms, with a 3rd one just a day or two away, my forecast of 8 named storms looks like it could reached.
1 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16 Postby chaser1 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:16 am

Blinhart wrote:I wish I would of seen this earlier, I would of voted either 8/9. I say 5/6 Hurricanes and 2/3 Majors.

Yeah, I missed this too..... but 8 or 9?? Whoa LOL! I think I might've gone 5/4/1. Either way, here comes our concentrated season. I'd guess we'll continue to see activity at least till mid October
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17 Postby chaser1 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:17 am

NDG wrote:Only September 4th and already two named storms, with a 3rd one just a day or two away, my forecast of 8 named storms looks like it could reached.

From that perspective, "8" does seem a bit more obtainable :wink:
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#18 Postby cycloneye » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:11 am

Already two have formed in September and if the models are right between two and three more will form in the next two weeks (92L,the one inside Africa and in BOC)
1 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby TheStormExpert » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:19 pm

According to the 00z GFS we should have Helene, Isaac, and Joyce along with Florence all active at once by this time next week. That adds the total of September storm formations to 5 by September 13th.
:double:
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#20 Postby cycloneye » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:24 pm

With Kirk we have 6 named storms forming in September and #7 will be up very soon with 90L / Leslie and maybe #8 from 98L.Let's see when the month ends what is the final number.
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”