Hurricane Harvey Art & Writing

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
storm_in_a_teacup
Category 1
Category 1

Hurricane Harvey Art & Writing

#1 Postby storm_in_a_teacup » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:05 pm

So, probably everyone is still anxious about Lane's rainfall totals, but it's been one year since the OG rainmaker himself, so I figured it was about time I got the courage to post all the art and writing I did after Harvey.

First up is my slightly infamous (well at least on Tumblr and Reddit) "Harvey Diaries" story. When Harvey's floodwaters had trapped my family, I wrote a short piece of writing I posted on Storm2K called "Sympathy for the Devil." It basically dealt with the emotions I was having regarding the conflict between how fascinated I was with Harvey as a phenomenon, and how frightened I was by the fact my family and friends and pets were all in danger, by personifying Hurricane Harvey and comparing his perspective to the perspective of the people on the ground.

I did not initially intend for it to go anywhere past that, but a month or so later I realized it could be the start of an interesting story. So I added 11 more chapters to it that dealt with Harvey's dissipation and ascension into the spirit world where he encounters storms from the past. I don't want to paste walls of text here so I will just give you the "master post" on Tumblr which has each chapter linked:
https://quasarlasar.tumblr.com/post/165499917264/the-harvey-diaries-are-finished

I will warn you it gets very bizarre, including among other things, a jet stream conductor and low-key hurricane flirting.

A few months later I did some art focusing purely on Harvey's journey in our world. The link is here:
https://quasarlasar.tumblr.com/post/168511520119/harvey-retrospective-hurricane-season-came-and

but I can post the images on this site for you guys since there's only 7 of them.
Harvey's initial development where he becomes a tropical storm, falls apart, then becomes a tropical storm again
Harvey as a hurricane with his eye fully open*...from the corner of which he then notices some deep warm water [oh dear]
It turns out to be a Loop Current eddy, which he then proceeds to basically swallow whole
which propels him to his category 4 peak with eyewall mesovortices and an eye so warm it's a flaming death glare**
he then is slammed into the Texas coast right afterwards. Needless to say he's not particularly happy about this, and he basically thrashes around like a beached fish bleeding water everywhere
Harvey is now a tropical storm with a hollow core and he's very tired, in pain, and hungry.
He's stuck inland with nowhere to go and doesn't really know what else to do except cry...a lot...like really a LOT...basically he floods everything with his tears.

Overall in terms of the personality he ended up having, he's rather childlike and naive. He doesn't really know that he's being destructive, or even that humans exist, just that he was a category 4 yesterday, and now he's not, and he's stuck on land, and he hates land. He's a big crybaby, and falls apart in the face of adversity. One of my friends questioned this, saying "why is he so cute" but to be honest this is the sort of personality I imagine most hurricanes would have. He's not someone who desires death and devastation, but someone who really just wants to stuff warm seawater into his mouth and watch the tropical sunrise.
His destructiveness ultimately comes not from his personality, but from his inherent power. He is innocent, but in the same way a panicked bull is innocent. Innocent, yet deadly.
======================================================================================================================================
*I realize now I should've probably made his cartoon appearance resemble his appearance on satellite more. But I was too lazy :lol:
**I toned down the mesovortices a lot in my drawing because they actually looked really unsettling to me.
11 likes   
I know I can't straddle the atmosphere...just a tiny storm in your teacup, girl.

Hurricane Mike
Category 2
Category 2

Re: Hurricane Harvey Art & Writing

#2 Postby Hurricane Mike » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:25 am

Very good artwork. Harvey was a beast.
1 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#3 Postby DioBrando » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:05 am

loving it! well, I'm making some hurricane fanfics with some mates on discord too! (but in our universe, the date of formation = dob, so a story featuring harvey takes part in the future). otherwise than that it's shaping up to be brill!
2 likes   
blonde stacey (xe/xem/xir)

storm_in_a_teacup
Category 1
Category 1

#4 Postby storm_in_a_teacup » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:23 pm

DioBrando wrote:loving it! well, I'm making some hurricane fanfics with some mates on discord too! (but in our universe, the date of formation = dob, so a story featuring harvey takes part in the future). otherwise than that it's shaping up to be brill!

I’m not sure if it counts as fanfic if the world and characters aren’t “owned” by someone else.
At least I hope writings involving personified storms that happened in real life are publishable...I mean copyright law wise, not “will a publisher actually gamble on a story involving a hurricane portrayed as sympathetic” wise...ehehehe.
1 likes   
I know I can't straddle the atmosphere...just a tiny storm in your teacup, girl.

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#5 Postby DioBrando » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:34 pm

storm_in_a_teacup wrote:
DioBrando wrote:loving it! well, I'm making some hurricane fanfics with some mates on discord too! (but in our universe, the date of formation = dob, so a story featuring harvey takes part in the future). otherwise than that it's shaping up to be brill!

I’m not sure if it counts as fanfic if the world and characters aren’t “owned” by someone else.
At least I hope writings involving personified storms that happened in real life are publishable...I mean copyright law wise, not “will a publisher actually gamble on a story involving a hurricane portrayed as sympathetic” wise...ehehehe.

nah I think it would as I did see other personified storm fics on fanfiction.net, namely harvey and irma...
0 likes   

storm_in_a_teacup
Category 1
Category 1

#6 Postby storm_in_a_teacup » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:02 pm

DioBrando wrote:
storm_in_a_teacup wrote:

nah I think it would as I did see other personified storm fics on fanfiction.net, namely harvey and irma...

I don’t know if you could message me the links to them? I had no idea this was a thing, as I swear in my own experience tornadoes were personified a lot more than hurricanes in art and fiction.
1 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby AnnularCane » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:06 pm

I don't think I've ever heard of personified tornadoes before. Not that I've been looking. Hurricanes actually seem personified more (outside of fan fiction anyway. Regarding fan fiction in general, I can't really say). It seems to come more naturally.
0 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#8 Postby DioBrando » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:37 pm

storm_in_a_teacup wrote:
DioBrando wrote:
storm_in_a_teacup wrote:

I don’t know if you could message me the links to them? I had no idea this was a thing, as I swear in my own experience tornadoes were personified a lot more than hurricanes in art and fiction.

sure! I'll message you them on reddit bruh
1 likes   

storm_in_a_teacup
Category 1
Category 1

#9 Postby storm_in_a_teacup » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:02 pm

AnnularCane wrote:I don't think I've ever heard of personified tornadoes before. Not that I've been looking. Hurricanes actually seem personified more (outside of fan fiction anyway. Regarding fan fiction in general, I can't really say). It seems to come more naturally.

When I say “personified” I mean more in cartoons, video games, published media. Like there’s lots of cartoon tornadoes with faces in tv and video games, elemental spirits in fantasy that are basically tornadoes, and I think a sentient tornado/whirlwind thing called Kitty even appeared in a Ray Bradbury story. (It was one of the sci-fi greats but I don’t exactly remember which one).

Outside of conversation (like people referring to hurricanes with gendered pronouns and such) I don’t see personified hurricanes as much in print or visual media. I definitely don’t see many people drawing cartoon hurricanes by drawing an actual hurricane and making the eye a literal eye.

I think it’s because they tend to affect more people than tornadoes and so it’s kind of more touchy a subject. At least this is what family members and people on r/tropicalweather say...

Tornadoes are also more photogenic and so more people watch storm chaser footage of them. I think this makes people have a better idea of what a tornado looks like than a hurricane. Heck half the time I see someone draw a hurricane they basically draw a waterspout :roll:
3 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby AnnularCane » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:05 pm

I guess I've been looking in the wrong places because I haven't seen many cartoon tornadoes myself. The closest thing I can think of offhand is the Tasmanian Devil, if that counts. :P

I think hurricanes are more photogenic, personally...on satellite. At ground level, maybe not so much. But they're shown on satellite so much these days it's hard to imagine people wouldn't know what they look like.
1 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#11 Postby DioBrando » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:19 pm

AnnularCane wrote:I guess I've been looking in the wrong places because I haven't seen many cartoon tornadoes myself. The closest thing I can think of offhand is the Tasmanian Devil, if that counts. :P

I think hurricanes are more photogenic, personally...on satellite. At ground level, maybe not so much. But they're shown on satellite so much these days it's hard to imagine people wouldn't know what they look like.

ayo, I drew hurricane hortense (1996) and hurricane howard (1998) as humanised hurricanes.

hortense is one hella thicc girl as she was a cat 4, she short and she has a side waterfall ponytail to match her satellite prez. she was a hella destructive so I put her bipolar and a hippy.

howard is a sweet guy who is rather shy and friendly, somewhat intense (as he was a lonely fish). his satellite prez was cute (annular, c4) so I made him rather handsome, long dark hair and muscular guy, a heartthrob character (intending to make edouard 1996 like that too as he is textbook perfection, only edouard is a little more flirtatious)

mitch is a guy like my age (I'm the same age as him), psychopathic. incredibly hot guy who uses his looks to get what he wants

edouard (1996) is a handsome man with perfect features, body and face wise. he has a captivating french accent. blonde, tousled/spiky hair, sharp green eyes, olive skin that tans very easily. rather tall. however, he is a bit slow in terms of thinking and speed and can be quite clumsy. very cutesy guy. protective of his lil sis fran who finna be hollerin and dabbin on de usa gyals and bois later on in de story. he is a shy boi but flirty, intense and romantic.

the date of formation = dob.
Last edited by DioBrando on Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#12 Postby DioBrando » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:26 pm

if yuh finna talk bout current cyclones, it will take place in a future year as 2018 ones too yung bruh.

e.g. lane, as he was a cat 5, would be a very large and muscular/bodybuilder type with very long, straight, black hair, tattoos, very masculine face (no facial hair) and piercing green eyes. he appears nice but he can be hella scary and bruh I mean hella scary. he can be a bit of a troll sumtimes. is a resilient guy who finna fight for wat he wants and he won't stop in de face of threat. he dun get his ting.

hector, a fish, annular cat 4, is an extremely fine guy with a perfect body, handsome face, chiselled features, striking green eyes, tan (natural) and spiky black hair (he is mixed race and exotic-looking). a little shorter than average given his small size. all de girls love him (ileana, kristy even doe they got john, who love dem gyals.) hector has a ting for kawaii typhoon gyal shan shan who be looking like little anime gyal.

ileana be romanian exchange student, petite n red hair. is john's puppet.

kristy be de apple of john's eye. kristy more attracted to handsome hector dan average lookin john wit a dad bod.

john is ultimate dad bod n average lookin guy. nuttin special bout him bruh.
Last edited by DioBrando on Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#13 Postby DioBrando » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:27 pm

storm_in_a_teacup wrote:
AnnularCane wrote:I don't think I've ever heard of personified tornadoes before. Not that I've been looking. Hurricanes actually seem personified more (outside of fan fiction anyway. Regarding fan fiction in general, I can't really say). It seems to come more naturally.

When I say “personified” I mean more in cartoons, video games, published media. Like there’s lots of cartoon tornadoes with faces in tv and video games, elemental spirits in fantasy that are basically tornadoes, and I think a sentient tornado/whirlwind thing called Kitty even appeared in a Ray Bradbury story. (It was one of the sci-fi greats but I don’t exactly remember which one).

Outside of conversation (like people referring to hurricanes with gendered pronouns and such) I don’t see personified hurricanes as much in print or visual media. I definitely don’t see many people drawing cartoon hurricanes by drawing an actual hurricane and making the eye a literal eye.

I think it’s because they tend to affect more people than tornadoes and so it’s kind of more touchy a subject. At least this is what family members and people on r/tropicalweather say...

Tornadoes are also more photogenic and so more people watch storm chaser footage of them. I think this makes people have a better idea of what a tornado looks like than a hurricane. Heck half the time I see someone draw a hurricane they basically draw a waterspout :roll:

ayo bruh, ur story finna be fine. yuh should turn dis into a manga bruh. opinion on me take on personified spinni bois?
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”