Possible Historical First Atlantic Double - Landfall Event?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Possible Historical First Atlantic Double - Landfall Event?

#1 Postby chaser1 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:01 pm

:double: With so many active storms and varying threads, I really didn't know where my question might be seen/read but I'm wondering if this could be a first for the Atlantic basin. The possibility of both Florence and Isaac making landfall as hurricanes on the very same day (upcoming Thursday or Friday?) seems like an event that I don't recall occurring ever before. Right now it appears quite possible that Isaac may well threaten the Lesser Antilles on the same day that Florence may well be approaching landfall in the Carolina's. Taking this event one step further, the potential exists for each storm to be a major hurricane at point of landfall as well. Anyone know if this would set a precedent? :sick:
5 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hurricanehink
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Possible Historical First Atlantic Double - Landfall Event?

#2 Postby Hurricanehink » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:45 pm

On August 12-13th, 2004, Tropical Storm Bonnie and Hurricane Charley hit Florida in a two day period, which was a big deal. On September 15-16, 2013, Tropical Storm Manuel and Ingrid struck opposite sides of Mexico in a 24 hour period.

These are the only remotely close events that I can think of, so Florence and Isaac landfalls on the same day would be a big deal.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3 Postby CrazyC83 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:10 pm

We can't forget about the Gulf low either. Plus if both that and the NE Atlantic low develop, we could be looking at the first ever case of 5 simultaneous named storms...
6 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby SoupBone » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:37 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:We can't forget about the Gulf low either. Plus if both that and the NE Atlantic low develop, we could be looking at the first ever case of 5 simultaneous named storms...

Season Canceled?
3 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

supercane4867
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby supercane4867 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:59 pm

I'm more interested in if we can see 3 major hurricanes at the same time.

https://twitter.com/EricBlake12/status/1038909739755823105

0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby chaser1 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:26 am

CrazyC83 wrote:We can't forget about the Gulf low either. Plus if both that and the NE Atlantic low develop, we could be looking at the first ever case of 5 simultaneous named storms...

THAT would be insane! The Atlantic is beginning to look like a Scud missile attack
1 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby chaser1 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:44 am

supercane4867 wrote:I'm more interested in if we can see 3 major hurricanes at the same time.

https://twitter.com/EricBlake12/status/1038909739755823105

What is the record for the greatest amount of ACE occurring during the same 24 hour period? We really could be seeing a number of historic records fall during the upcoming week!
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby chaser1 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:06 am

Jeeez? Yeah, that area of disturbed weather in the N.W. Carib. is beginning to look interesting. The steering and present shear in the S. Gulf seems pretty convoluted at the moment but I'm wondering if this disturbance could eventually make it's way up to the N.E. Texas coastline? Anyway, I may seriously have to change the name of this particular thread in a couple of days to "Possible First Atlantic Triple Landfall Event" :eek:
0 likes   

SconnieCane
Category 4
Category 4

#9 Postby SconnieCane » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:51 am

chaser1 wrote:What is the record for the greatest amount of ACE occurring during the same 24 hour period? We really could be seeing a number of historic records fall during the upcoming week!

Not sure of the exact number but I suspect it was the day just about a year ago when Irma and Jose were near their peak at the same time Katia was active over the Gulf.
1 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby chaser1 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:13 pm

SconnieCane wrote:
chaser1 wrote:What is the record for the greatest amount of ACE occurring during the same 24 hour period? We really could be seeing a number of historic records fall during the upcoming week!

Not sure of the exact number but I suspect it was the day just about a year ago when Irma and Jose were near their peak at the same time Katia was active over the Gulf.

That's a very good point. This could approach that I suppose but I doubt surpass it (mostly dependent on whether Isaac and the W. Caribb/Gulf system both strengthen/deepen more)
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby chaser1 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:41 am

Now under 72 hr's away, Hurricane Florence is poised to bring hurricane force conditions to the N. Carolina coastline on the very same day that Hurricane Isaac is forecast to bring hurricane force conditions to the Leeward Islands.
0 likes   

terstorm1012
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby terstorm1012 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:18 am

I mentioned in the other thread that the Sea Islands Hurricane and the New York Hurricane I think struck the US within the same 48 hour period in 1893.
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Historical First Ever Atlantic Double Landfall & Other Records?

#13 Postby chaser1 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:31 pm

terstorm1012 wrote:I mentioned in the other thread that the Sea Islands Hurricane and the New York Hurricane I think struck the US within the same 48 hour period in 1893.

Yep, thanks... I saw that. Still, even that was within a 48 hr. period. The idea of two simultaneous landfall on the same day would seem historic.

I decided to slightly change the name of this thread given a couple other potential crazy records that could occur.

There's the possibility of the area of disturbed weather off Yucatan (95L) to also to deepen enough and be upgraded to a T.S. The odds of that happening as it comes ashore along the Texas coastline within the same 24 hour period would that much crazier!

Another event that could occur would be if the Atlantic were to actually have 5 named storms occuring at the same time. They'd include Helene, Isaac, Florence, "potentially" 95L , and the anticipated area of low pressure in the N. Atlantic which NHC is suggesting might develop towards the end of the week.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”