"The Cone"

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
SconnieCane
Category 4
Category 4

"The Cone"

#1 Postby SconnieCane » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:02 pm

I saw this in the Florence thread...

About the NHC cone from the NHC website (the bold is mine):

"Historical data indicate that the entire 5-day path of the center of the tropical cyclone will remain within the cone about 60-70% of the time.

To form the cone, a set of imaginary circles are placed along the forecast track at the 12, 24, 36, 48, 72, 96, and 120 h positions, where the size of each circle is set so that it encloses 67% of the previous five years official forecast errors.

The cone is then formed by smoothly connecting the area swept out by the set of circles."

I've heard this before - that the cone is based entirely on historical forecast errors, and not on the model output for that particular storm. Why? It seems to me the cone would be more accurate if it was based on the unique synoptic pattern surrounding every storm, and its projected evolution.

For example, if the ECMWF, GFS, UKMET, and their ensembles were very tightly clustered through five days, then the cone should be very narrow, reflecting the high-confidence forecast.

On the other hand, if the ECMWF insisted on landfall in South Florida for run after run, while the GFS insisted on NYC and the UKMET was stuck on sending it into Belize after doing two loops, the cone would be very wide depicting the higher uncertainty in that particular forecast.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: "The Cone"

#2 Postby wxman57 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:08 pm

The future is definitely a dynamic "cone", which won't be a cone at all. It will change in size and shape from advisory to advisory, and it may show two possible paths for a storm (or even three paths). Current cone is worthless.

Perhaps it would look something like this ensembles probability graphic from Hagupit near the Philippines a few years ago. The GFS & Canadian ensembles turned it east of Luzon, the EC ensembles took it through the central Philippines. In this case, it followed the EC ensembles, but it shows two possible tracks.

6 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”