It's been quiet for 2-3 days now birds are everywhere and loud???

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
NCWeatherChic
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

It's been quiet for 2-3 days now birds are everywhere and loud???

#1 Postby NCWeatherChic » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:25 pm

So we haven't seen any bee's, wasps or even flies for at least 3 days here (just east of Raleigh). Their are a few hummingbirds that have hung around but today the birds are so loud and chirpy outside. Crows by the hundreds are on a feeding frenzy. I know storms can be sensed by animals much earlier than humans can but I do wonder why it went from being really eerily quiet for a few days to now eerily loud. I wondered if the birds were coming back and maybe somehow this hurricane is heading elsewhere and they know it. Anyone know why this is happening around here in such a weird pattern? So far my dog seems fine. I mean he's always kinda clingy but nothing out of the norm. Thx guys (and that includes gals)
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: It's been quiet for 2-3 days now birds are everywhere and loud???

#2 Postby Steve » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:59 pm

NCWeatherChic wrote:So we haven't seen any bee's, wasps or even flies for at least 3 days here (just east of Raleigh). Their are a few hummingbirds that have hung around but today the birds are so loud and chirpy outside. Crows by the hundreds are on a feeding frenzy. I know storms can be sensed by animals much earlier than humans can but I do wonder why it went from being really eerily quiet for a few days to now eerily loud. I wondered if the birds were coming back and maybe somehow this hurricane is heading elsewhere and they know it. Anyone know why this is happening around here in such a weird pattern? So far my dog seems fine. I mean he's always kinda clingy but nothing out of the norm. Thx guys (and that includes gals)

There are some studies out there you can google, but I've never found anything particularly concrete. Wild animals know what they're dealing with (or sense it anyway). With pets, I'm sure they get the idea, but with our dog, she usually got sick and vomited a day or two before the arrival of anything. They'll be scared too with stuff banging against the house, pressure changes and things that they'll feel. So just make sure you spot a little extra love to keep your dog as happy as possible as it gets closer. I know they sense our fears and anxieties as well, so smile as much as you can to your pet even though they'll realize something is off.
3 likes   

NCWeatherChic
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#3 Postby NCWeatherChic » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:16 pm

Thank you! Since I posted that, it's back to quiet again. No dogs barking, very few birds seen etc. Those birds must have been passing through but boy that was alot of birds.
1 likes   

sittingduck
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby sittingduck » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:18 pm

About three days before IRMA came up the middle of Florida it got real quiet here. No birds, no crickets very quiet. My employees even mentioned it at work the last day we worked. My place of business is right across from an intercoastal waterway and we ALWAYS had birds flying over - then NONE! I really think they know
2 likes   

SootyTern
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby SootyTern » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:23 pm

There will probably be a lot of small birds migrating south on any north wind outside of the storm's circulation; most of them seem to know to stay away from the center of a hurricane if they are flying over land (getting caught at sea is another story). One year ago on tomorrow's date when we went outside for the first time after Irma and began cleaning up the mess, there were so many calls and chips of hundreds of warblers all around, that probably came in after the storm or hunkered down during it and were pretty hungry.

Good luck up there, and I hope you and your loved ones come out of this OK!
0 likes   
Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Gulf Coast: Opal '95 Georges '98 / So Fla: Katrina '05 Wilma '05 Irma '17

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”