Just a vent about folks coming to the Carolinas to endure the storm for fun

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
NCWeatherChic
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Just a vent about folks coming to the Carolinas to endure the storm for fun

#1 Postby NCWeatherChic » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:34 pm

Guys, I'm begging my family to come to my house just east of Raleigh from their homes at Topsail by the waterway. They refuse to leave their homes because they know it could be days to weeks before they can return. That's one thing, but the other thing is they are stocking up on supplies and my cousin stated that in Walmart she has seen so many folks standing and laughing about the storm and how they traveled just to experience one. How idiotic is that? I pray those folks make it through it just to warn others to never ever attempt it themselves. I knew something was up because I went to Raleigh this morning and then on my way home on I40 I noticed boat loads of out of state license tags heading eat and after talking with my cousin it confirmed what I initially thought was going on. I can't believe the audacity of folks. Not only are they taking supplies away from the folks that live there and don't want to leave but it's ridiculously stupid. Rant over!
4 likes   

shiny-pebble
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Just a vent about folks coming to the Carolinas to endure the storm for fun

#2 Postby shiny-pebble » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:48 pm

I really hope this doesn't result in high casualities...

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
1 likes   
Not an meteorologist! Just someone who is interested in weather. Please refer to the NHC and local weather officials to make decisions.
-Jack 8-)

NCWeatherChic
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#3 Postby NCWeatherChic » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:02 pm

I agree!
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby chaser1 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:41 pm

NCWeatherChic wrote:Guys, I'm begging my family to come to my house just east of Raleigh from their homes at Topsail by the waterway. They refuse to leave their homes because they know it could be days to weeks before they can return. That's one thing, but the other thing is they are stocking up on supplies and my cousin stated that in Walmart she has seen so many folks standing and laughing about the storm and how they traveled just to experience one. How idiotic is that? I pray those folks make it through it just to warn others to never ever attempt it themselves. I knew something was up because I went to Raleigh this morning and then on my way home on I40 I noticed boat loads of out of state license tags heading eat and after talking with my cousin it confirmed what I initially thought was going on. I can't believe the audacity of folks. Not only are they taking supplies away from the folks that live there and don't want to leave but it's ridiculously stupid. Rant over!

I appreciate your feelings but I have to tell you that I believe your perception of Hurricane Chasers/foreigners and local commerce is severely skewed. :double:

I began chasing hurricanes back in 1985 when there were probably less then 10 others who already were. I've chased my fair share of hurricanes from North Carolina to Puerto Rico, to the N. Gulf Coast. Since that time there's been a far greater number of others who chase thunderstorms, tornado's, and to a far lesser extent hurricanes too. I would be shocked to believe that 200 or more people who chase hurricanes even exist. I think if you were to speak to most of them, you'd find them to be a bit geeky but definitely pretty savvy about the weather that their interested in. Certainly not a rag-tag group of Bohemian thrill seekers looking to throw caution to the wind chanting mantras while being exposed to 150mph winds LOL. As for our own hurricane chases we brought our water, Little Debbies, Ho-Ho's, Slim-Jims, toilet paper, etc with us. Just as we brought our own camera's, film, video tapes, weather instruments, first aid supplies, and extra cell phone batteries to capture and record the event. I'm pretty sure we never stopped to raid your Lowes and Home Depot stores because well, we just had very little need to buy up a ton of lumber and shutters because boarding up our cars would have made them kinda hard to drive. As for your cousin seeing throngs of hurricane chasers meeting to take advantage of Walmarts' Blue Light Special, um doubtful. I totally believe on your drive home on I-40, that you DID see boat-loads of vehicles with out of state license tags frantically heading east. Your first conclusion was really "OMG, just look at ALL these Weather nuts and Hurricane Chasers"?? So if you knew anyone who lived in Ashville but had a beach home in Hatteras or maybe a trailer in Wilmington, don't you think their butt would be racing there to protect, board up, and gather their possessions there too. Take that one step further. Do you really believe that there's just a few people that live out of state who own properties there in North Carolina??? There must be THOUSANDS of out of state people and investors who own 2nd homes, rental properties, a trailer, or other property in N.C. What about kids who live out of state rushing back to help their parents, or Jack and Jill flying in from their home in Tuscon to help their aunt Matilda the 90 year old woman that lives down the street from you? I'm sure you wouldn't fault them for buying up lumber and hurricane supplies to best attempt to protect their own N.C. properties that might lie in harms way (certainly no one minded when all those people contributed to helping bolster the local economy by building and buying these properties, staying at local hotels, or shopping and eating at local establishments, right?). And what about all those beautiful and picturesque boats lining the so many marinas and harbors throughout coastal N.C; Those with cute or snarky names registered to towns and states all over the U.S.? Do you think most of those boat owners rushing to prevent their family vacation from turning into piles of broken lumber are N.C. locals too? Look, I live in Florida and can tell you that there are tens of thousands of out of state (N. Carolina included) and out of country people who own property here.

Sure, there will always be people who's fascination with nature will take them to climb mountains, kayak waterfalls, put themselves into environments where dangerous wildlife exists, etc. Some may see them as dare-devils but these people are explorers and have a fascination and thirst for life itself. Irresponsible might define those who do so with little knowledge, foresight, or preparation. I'd leave the definition of "idiots" to those that are SO irresponsible that they cross that line of safe observation that causes undue risk to themselves and others resulting in injury or death. When all the dust is cleared, power back on, homes and lives rebuilt I hope to God that the number of lives lost will be zero or very very low. I'm pretty sure I can accurately state that those FEW who have chased and/or might be chasing Florence represent a WAY smaller number of people then the number of local residents who simply defy police and Emergency Management by choosing to not evacuate thus putting themselves and First Responders at the greatest risk of death.

Looking down the barrel of a potential major hurricane is extremely scary. Everything become a blur, your mind races, and there never seems to be enough time to make every preparation. Leaving makes your mind race about those you know who stayed and what you'll see when you return. Staying might pose some risk but certainly could test your worst fears, endurance, and patience. Never lose sight that those impacted by this event are all in it together, people inherently are caring, would help others in need, and are not the reason for gas, food, ATM, or Home Depot depletion. It's never any different prior to other Hurricane threat anywhere else and why it's so easy to let our own anxiety cause us to blame "them" for our own circumstances like suddenly not finding those three 2X4's or stupid "D" batteries that one could've bought 10 days, 2 months, or a year ago. Best advice is to be calm, help others, listen to official officials, take precaution to protect property and yourselves and stay SAFE.
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

BobHarlem
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby BobHarlem » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:47 pm

It's probably going to be too crowded, this might be the one that gets someone killed, unfortunately. There's those like Mark Sudduth who's actually from WIlmington, though.
0 likes   

hurricanehunter69
Category 1
Category 1

#6 Postby hurricanehunter69 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:46 pm

chaser1 wrote:
NCWeatherChic wrote:Guys, I'm begging my family to come to my house just east of Raleigh from their homes at Topsail by the waterway. They refuse to leave their homes because they know it could be days to weeks before they can return. That's one thing, but the other thing is they are stocking up on supplies and my cousin stated that in Walmart she has seen so many folks standing and laughing about the storm and how they traveled just to experience one. How idiotic is that? I pray those folks make it through it just to warn others to never ever attempt it themselves. I knew something was up because I went to Raleigh this morning and then on my way home on I40 I noticed boat loads of out of state license tags heading eat and after talking with my cousin it confirmed what I initially thought was going on. I can't believe the audacity of folks. Not only are they taking supplies away from the folks that live there and don't want to leave but it's ridiculously stupid. Rant over!

I appreciate your feelings but I have to tell you that I believe your perception of Hurricane Chasers/foreigners and local commerce is severely skewed. :double:

I began chasing hurricanes back in 1985 when there were probably less then 10 others who already were. I've chased my fair share of hurricanes from North Carolina to Puerto Rico, to the N. Gulf Coast. Since that time there's been a far greater number of others who chase thunderstorms, tornado's, and to a far lesser extent hurricanes too. I would be shocked to believe that 200 or more people who chase hurricanes even exist. I think if you were to speak to most of them, you'd find them to be a bit geeky but definitely pretty savvy about the weather that their interested in. Certainly not a rag-tag group of Bohemian thrill seekers looking to throw caution to the wind chanting mantras while being exposed to 150mph winds LOL. As for our own hurricane chases we brought our water, Little Debbies, Ho-Ho's, Slim-Jims, toilet paper, etc with us. Just as we brought our own camera's, film, video tapes, weather instruments, first aid supplies, and extra cell phone batteries to capture and record the event. I'm pretty sure we never stopped to raid your Lowes and Home Depot stores because well, we just had very little need to buy up a ton of lumber and shutters because boarding up our cars would have made them kinda hard to drive. As for your cousin seeing throngs of hurricane chasers meeting to take advantage of Walmarts' Blue Light Special, um doubtful. I totally believe on your drive home on I-40, that you DID see boat-loads of vehicles with out of state license tags frantically heading east. Your first conclusion was really "OMG, just look at ALL these Weather nuts and Hurricane Chasers"?? So if you knew anyone who lived in Ashville but had a beach home in Hatteras or maybe a trailer in Wilmington, don't you think their butt would be racing there to protect, board up, and gather their possessions there too. Take that one step further. Do you really believe that there's just a few people that live out of state who own properties there in North Carolina??? There must be THOUSANDS of out of state people and investors who own 2nd homes, rental properties, a trailer, or other property in N.C. What about kids who live out of state rushing back to help their parents, or Jack and Jill flying in from their home in Tuscon to help their aunt Matilda the 90 year old woman that lives down the street from you? I'm sure you wouldn't fault them for buying up lumber and hurricane supplies to best attempt to protect their own N.C. properties that might lie in harms way (certainly no one minded when all those people contributed to helping bolster the local economy by building and buying these properties, staying at local hotels, or shopping and eating at local establishments, right?). And what about all those beautiful and picturesque boats lining the so many marinas and harbors throughout coastal N.C; Those with cute or snarky names registered to towns and states all over the U.S.? Do you think most of those boat owners rushing to prevent their family vacation from turning into piles of broken lumber are N.C. locals too? Look, I live in Florida and can tell you that there are tens of thousands of out of state (N. Carolina included) and out of country people who own property here.

Sure, there will always be people who's fascination with nature will take them to climb mountains, kayak waterfalls, put themselves into environments where dangerous wildlife exists, etc. Some may see them as dare-devils but these people are explorers and have a fascination and thirst for life itself. Irresponsible might define those who do so with little knowledge, foresight, or preparation. I'd leave the definition of "idiots" to those that are SO irresponsible that they cross that line of safe observation that causes undue risk to themselves and others resulting in injury or death. When all the dust is cleared, power back on, homes and lives rebuilt I hope to God that the number of lives lost will be zero or very very low. I'm pretty sure I can accurately state that those FEW who have chased and/or might be chasing Florence represent a WAY smaller number of people then the number of local residents who simply defy police and Emergency Management by choosing to not evacuate thus putting themselves and First Responders at the greatest risk of death.

Looking down the barrel of a potential major hurricane is extremely scary. Everything become a blur, your mind races, and there never seems to be enough time to make every preparation. Leaving makes your mind race about those you know who stayed and what you'll see when you return. Staying might pose some risk but certainly could test your worst fears, endurance, and patience. Never lose sight that those impacted by this event are all in it together, people inherently are caring, would help others in need, and are not the reason for gas, food, ATM, or Home Depot depletion. It's never any different prior to other Hurricane threat anywhere else and why it's so easy to let our own anxiety cause us to blame "them" for our own circumstances like suddenly not finding those three 2X4's or stupid "D" batteries that one could've bought 10 days, 2 months, or a year ago. Best advice is to be calm, help others, listen to official officials, take precaution to protect property and yourselves and stay SAFE.

Nice post Chaser1...! And yet another reason "clarifying" why I spend the time to come to this site. I come here in search of good information and well written posts such as this one! I must say that this is one of the best posts I've read on this site all time. I whole heartedly agree with all points written in this post and look forward to finding other gems written by many other talented weather enthusiasts on this site. I my self rode out Hurricane Katrina! I was well informed and well prepared and I didn't lose a single thing! The key to surviving this hurricane is being well informed and well prepared. I wish good luck to all in it's path!
1 likes   

storm_in_a_teacup
Category 1
Category 1

#7 Postby storm_in_a_teacup » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:13 am

hurricanehunter69 wrote:
chaser1 wrote:

Nice post Chaser1...! And yet another reason "clarifying" why I spend the time to come to this site. I come here in search of good information and well written posts such as this one! I must say that this is one of the best posts I've read on this site all time. I whole heartedly agree with all points written in this post and look forward to finding other gems written by many other talented weather enthusiasts on this site. I my self rode out Hurricane Katrina! I was well informed and well prepared and I didn't lose a single thing! The key to surviving this hurricane is being well informed and well prepared. I wish good luck to all in it's path!

I spent way too much time on r/tropicalweather this season so far...have been missing well-reasoned responses to heated "everyone who does [blank] is bad and should feel bad" judgmental statements. Long live Storm2K I guess?
3 likes   
I know I can't straddle the atmosphere...just a tiny storm in your teacup, girl.

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#8 Postby CrazyC83 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:15 am

I've been offered to chase hurricanes the last two years and declined each time. I'd rather stay at home, in a weather office or a TV studio.
2 likes   

storm_in_a_teacup
Category 1
Category 1

#9 Postby storm_in_a_teacup » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:23 am

CrazyC83 wrote:I've been offered to chase hurricanes the last two years and declined each time. I'd rather stay at home, in a weather office or a TV studio.

I cannot sleep through a thunderstorm. So I'm definitely in the "rather would observe things from very very far away" camp :oops:
0 likes   
I know I can't straddle the atmosphere...just a tiny storm in your teacup, girl.

NCWeatherChic
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#10 Postby NCWeatherChic » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:20 am

chaser1 wrote:

Maybe I wasn't clear about this. I'm speaking of the hundreds of folks that are fl ocking to the coast just to experience the storm like it's all fun and games. I wasn't referencing those that are knowledgeable i.e. Mets, storm chasers etc. Those idiots really are those that think partying during a hurricane will give them bragging. I pray they survive. So hope you have a better understanding of those i was referencing. And in my defense, it is those folks that my cousin keeps running across as they help others to board up, find supplies for others etc
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”