2018 Cyclones Retirement

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Message
Author
User avatar
DioBrando
Category 1
Category 1
Posts: 289
Age: 22
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:45 pm
Location: napoli, italia

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#61 Postby DioBrando » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:32 pm

what about something old-timey, just like the rest of list 4, like...


mickey
1 likes   
このジョルノジョバァナには夢がある

SconnieCane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:29 pm

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#62 Postby SconnieCane » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:40 pm

Things escalated so quickly I didn't have time to pull out the Burn Notice memes, but looks like Agent Mikey is going undercover and won't be seen again.
1 likes   

HurricaneRyan
Category 2
Category 2
Posts: 630
Age: 25
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:05 pm

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#63 Postby HurricaneRyan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:42 pm

Faith and Malcolm would be my top choices.
0 likes   
I'm wide awake

GSBHurricane
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:12 am

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#64 Postby GSBHurricane » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:15 am

My top picks for each are Felice and Manfred.
0 likes   

BadLarry95
Tropical Low
Tropical Low
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:40 pm

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#65 Postby BadLarry95 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:26 pm

Florence—> Francine, Faith, Flavia, Fleur
Michael—> Mark, Manny, Moe, Mateo, Milo, Marv
1 likes   

User avatar
AJC3
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met
Posts: 2863
Age: 55
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:04 pm
Location: West Melbourne, Florida
Contact:

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#66 Postby AJC3 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:16 am

xtyphooncyclonex wrote:Here's what I have in mind. I've denoted names that are similar to current names; there are occassions that retired names are replaced by names that are similar to other extant names.

Freya, Freda/Frieda (similar to Fred), Farah, Fern (could be too similar to Fernanda), Felice/Feliz (variants of Felicia but similar to Felix), Faith (?, it was just replaced---no significant impacts in 1966), Francelia, Francine, Fatima, or their variants


EquusStorm wrote:I like Felice. I just realized the Epac has Norma and Norman on the list so storms with similar names are apparently not off limits at all; having Dora and others, Atlantic retirement isn't even a limiting factor I guess. Francelia, Faith, Freda, Flavia. Or do the Frederic-to-eventually-Fred thing and replace it with Fiorenza


Cleveland Kent Evans wrote:Faith is definitely the most common "F" name in the US which hasn't been retired and is not on another list already. Fallon, Fawn, Fern, Flavia, Fonda. Francine, or Frieda/Frida would also be good choices.


Torino wrote:Frida/Freda/Frieda, Felicity, Felice, Farrah, Faith, Fern, Fleur, Flavia, Fanny, Franny, Faustine, Francine, Fina.
I think "Felicity" is the top choice.


Torino wrote:Florence is out for sure now, so my three options to replace it are "Felicity", "Faith" and "Francine".


HurricaneRyan wrote:Faith and Malcolm would be my top choices.


BadLarry95 wrote:Florence—> Francine, Faith, Flavia, Fleur
Michael—> Mark, Manny, Moe, Mateo, Milo, Marv


Even though the name Faith was used once in 1966 and never retired, I doubt you'll see it again. In other words, I think you will see... *drum roll*

Faith No More! (sorry, I had to do that - they've been one of favorite bands for the past 3 decades)

The storm holds two historic basin records: Longest track (second longest of all worldwide TC basins behind Hurricane/Typhoon John of 1994), and northernmost latitude for any Atlantic tropical cyclone. While, obviously, those aren't criteria for retirement, I think those two records could dissuade whichever WMO member that decides (was Florence a USA name?) from putting the name on the permanent Atlantic list. We'll see...
1 likes   

User avatar
xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 3555
Age: 17
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:07 am
Location: Cebu City
Contact:

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#67 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:31 am

I'm now leaning towards Freya, Feliz/Felice for Florence and Mason, Miles for Michael
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

GSBHurricane
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:12 am

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#68 Postby GSBHurricane » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:44 am

AJC3 wrote:
xtyphooncyclonex wrote:Here's what I have in mind. I've denoted names that are similar to current names; there are occassions that retired names are replaced by names that are similar to other extant names.

Freya, Freda/Frieda (similar to Fred), Farah, Fern (could be too similar to Fernanda), Felice/Feliz (variants of Felicia but similar to Felix), Faith (?, it was just replaced---no significant impacts in 1966), Francelia, Francine, Fatima, or their variants


EquusStorm wrote:I like Felice. I just realized the Epac has Norma and Norman on the list so storms with similar names are apparently not off limits at all; having Dora and others, Atlantic retirement isn't even a limiting factor I guess. Francelia, Faith, Freda, Flavia. Or do the Frederic-to-eventually-Fred thing and replace it with Fiorenza


Cleveland Kent Evans wrote:Faith is definitely the most common "F" name in the US which hasn't been retired and is not on another list already. Fallon, Fawn, Fern, Flavia, Fonda. Francine, or Frieda/Frida would also be good choices.


Torino wrote:Frida/Freda/Frieda, Felicity, Felice, Farrah, Faith, Fern, Fleur, Flavia, Fanny, Franny, Faustine, Francine, Fina.
I think "Felicity" is the top choice.


Torino wrote:Florence is out for sure now, so my three options to replace it are "Felicity", "Faith" and "Francine".


HurricaneRyan wrote:Faith and Malcolm would be my top choices.


BadLarry95 wrote:Florence—> Francine, Faith, Flavia, Fleur
Michael—> Mark, Manny, Moe, Mateo, Milo, Marv


Even though the name Faith was used once in 1966 and never retired, I doubt you'll see it again. In other words, I think you will see... *drum roll*

Faith No More! (sorry, I had to do that - they've been one of favorite bands for the past 3 decades)

The storm holds two historic basin records: Longest track (second longest of all worldwide TC basins behind Hurricane/Typhoon John of 1994), and northernmost latitude for any Atlantic tropical cyclone. While, obviously, those aren't criteria for retirement, I think those two records could dissuade whichever WMO member that decides (was Florence a USA name?) from putting the name on the permanent Atlantic list. We'll see...

Faith could very well be a possibility, especially since it’s no longer going to be the northernmost tropical cyclone on record. They brought back names from the all-female lists before. And I don’t think it matters if Florence was originally suggested by the US or not. The Germanic Ingrid was replaced with the Hispanic Imelda.
0 likes   

GSBHurricane
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:12 am

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#69 Postby GSBHurricane » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:48 am

xtyphooncyclonex wrote:I'm now leaning towards Freya, Feliz/Felice for Florence and Mason, Miles for Michael

I don’t think they’re going to go with Miles. Remember that Gail was replaced with Gilda for 1954 because of the word “gale” having meteorological connotations. I think Miles would meet that same fate. Anyway my top pick for Florence is Felice because after 1964, Florence was originally going to be replaced with Felice for 1968 before it got switched to Frances. And Manfred is my pick for Michael because Typhoon Mike was retired in 1990 and replaced with Manny, And Mike and Manny are nicknames for Michael and Manfred.
0 likes   

User avatar
xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 3555
Age: 17
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:07 am
Location: Cebu City
Contact:

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#70 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:55 am

GSBHurricane wrote:
xtyphooncyclonex wrote:I'm now leaning towards Freya, Feliz/Felice for Florence and Mason, Miles for Michael

I don’t think they’re going to go with Miles. Remember that Gail was replaced with Gilda for 1954 because of the word “gale” having meteorological connotations. I think Miles would meet that same fate. Anyway my top pick for Florence is Felice because after 1964, Florence was originally going to be replaced with Felice for 1968 before it got switched to Frances. And Manfred is my pick for Michael because Typhoon Mike was retired in 1990 and replaced with Manny, And Mike and Manny are nicknames for Michael and Manfred.

Speaking of Mike.... Mike struck my city sometime in November 1990 pretty badly and left us without potable water or electricity for months. Worst typhoon in recent memory for the residents here. Mike should not be reused. Manny may be a nickname for Manfred, but more commonly associated with Manuel/Emmanuel.
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

User avatar
Cerlin
Category 1
Category 1
Posts: 467
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:06 am
Location: Frisco, TX

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#71 Postby Cerlin » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:06 pm

For Michael’s replacement I suggest...Milo.

Hurricane Milo just sounds menacing to me.
0 likes   
Let it snow NTX!

I’m an aspiring meteorologist who usually only speaks in layman’s terms. Any forecast or discussion I say is purely of my own opinion and should only be taken as such.

WeatherEmperor
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 4442
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:54 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#72 Postby WeatherEmperor » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:29 pm

Is Milton or Maddox or Marlon a good replacement for Michael?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 likes   

User avatar
gfsperpendicular
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:04 pm
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#73 Postby gfsperpendicular » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:40 pm

Among those mentioned, Flavia and Malcolm are my favorites.
0 likes   
I'm not sleeping, I'm waiting for the 0900 UTC advisory!

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Posts: 27558
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:57 pm
Location: Deep South, for the first time!

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#74 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:54 pm

Could we still get another retired name out of the season? Maybe Oscar will be a REAL grouch...
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Posts: 27558
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:57 pm
Location: Deep South, for the first time!

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#75 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:09 pm

Storm by storm (through October 21), here is what I think:

Tropical Storm Alberto

Case FOR retirement: Did some damage, especially inland from an early storm
Case AGAINST retirement: Overall impacts relatively modest
My probability of retirement: 5%
Verdict: :Door:

Hurricane Beryl

Case FOR retirement: Not much of any
Case AGAINST retirement: Dissipated before hitting land
My probability of retirement: 0%
Verdict: :Door:

Hurricane Chris

Case FOR retirement: Not at all
Case AGAINST retirement: Never impacted land
My probability of retirement: 0%
Verdict: :Door:

Tropical Storm Debby

Case FOR retirement: Not at all
Case AGAINST retirement: Never impacted land
My probability of retirement: 0%
Verdict: :Door:

Tropical Storm Ernesto

Case FOR retirement: Not at all
Case AGAINST retirement: Never impacted land as a standalone system
My probability of retirement: 0%
Verdict: :Door:

Major Hurricane Florence

Case FOR retirement: Catastrophic flooding; significant loss of life and extreme damage
Case AGAINST retirement: Relatively low intensity at landfall, but that is a minimal factor
My probability of retirement: 98%
Verdict: :Can:

Tropical Storm Gordon

Case FOR retirement: Hit land as a strong tropical storm with some damage
Case AGAINST retirement: Overall impacts minimal
My probability of retirement: 3%
Verdict: :Door:

Hurricane Helene

Case FOR retirement: Not at all
Case AGAINST retirement: Never impacted land
My probability of retirement: 0%
Verdict: :Door:

Hurricane Isaac

Case FOR retirement: Not much of any
Case AGAINST retirement: Minimal impact on land
My probability of retirement: 2%
Verdict: :Door:

Tropical Storm Joyce

Case FOR retirement: Not at all
Case AGAINST retirement: Never impacted land
My probability of retirement: 0%
Verdict: :Door:

Tropical Storm Kirk

Case FOR retirement: Not much of any
Case AGAINST retirement: Dissipated before hitting land
My probability of retirement: 0%
Verdict: :Door:

Hurricane Leslie

Case FOR retirement: Did notable damage at the end of its life
Case AGAINST retirement: No direct impacts to RA IV members
My probability of retirement: 2%
Verdict: :Door:

Major Hurricane Michael

Case FOR retirement: Exceptional damage from all sources, fairly high death toll, extreme landfall intensity
Case AGAINST retirement: Not much of any
My probability of retirement: 100%
Verdict: :Can:

Tropical Storm Nadine

Case FOR retirement: Not at all
Case AGAINST retirement: Never impacted land
My probability of retirement: 0%
Verdict: :Door:
Last edited by CrazyC83 on Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2 likes   

Torino
Tropical Low
Tropical Low
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:34 am

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#76 Postby Torino » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:18 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:Could we still get another retired name out of the season? Maybe Oscar will be a REAL grouch...

Retired names of storms formed after Oct. 12th:
Hattie (Belize)
Mitch (Honduras, Nicaragua)
Lenny (Virgin Is., St. Martin)
Michelle (Cuba, Bahamas)
Wilma (Mexico, Cuba, USA)
Noel (Hispaniola, Cuba, Bahamas)
Paloma (Cayman Is., Cuba)
Tomas (St. Lucia, Curaçao, Haiti, Cuba)
Sandy (Jamaica, Cuba, Bahamas, USA)
Otto (Costa Rica, Nicaragua)

So yes, the season isn't over yet, especially for the Caribbean and Central America.
1 likes   

SconnieCane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:29 pm

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#77 Postby SconnieCane » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:21 pm

I have a feeling Michael's death toll isn't done climbing, unfortunately. However, it doesn't seem to be as bad as it could have been for a storm of that intensity. I think a combination of a tight core with a small RMW and lack of surge inundation into populated areas outside of Mexico Beach and the St. Joseph Peninsula are to thank for that.

I still think there are probably some areas they haven't been able to get to on the ground yet, and those are probably the heaviest damaged ones.
2 likes   

bamajammer4eva
Category 3
Category 3
Posts: 877
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:21 am
Location: Ozark, AL

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#78 Postby bamajammer4eva » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:29 pm

How bout Fanny and Mikhail
0 likes   

User avatar
Hurricane Andrew
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 1871
Age: 20
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 2:53 pm
Location: NY

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#79 Postby Hurricane Andrew » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:34 pm

bamajammer4eva wrote:How bout Fanny and Mikhail

Mikhail is the Russian variant of Michael, so I don't think that would work.
0 likes   

The Enthusiast
FF/AEMT, WX nerd

Irene '11, Sandy '12, Irma '17 (SAR)

"Hard to think we were born to live this way..." -Wage War

BadLarry95
Tropical Low
Tropical Low
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:40 pm

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#80 Postby BadLarry95 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:58 pm

Depending on how far down we go, I’d suggest the following replacements for future storms

Oscar— Oliver, Ozzie
Patty— Paige, Pam
Rafael— Roger, Rob
Sara— Sofia, Susana
Tony— Tyler, Troy
Valerie— Vanessa, Victoria
William— Wayne, Wally
0 likes   


Return to “Talkin' Tropics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], captainbarbossa19, Frank P, oldframe, stormlover2013 and 33 guests