2018 Cyclones Retirement

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Message
Author
User avatar
DioBrando
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:45 pm

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#81 Postby DioBrando » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:02 pm

What type of name do you think they would use for Michael, Florence and Lane's replacement names?

I have a feeling they would use a name common for Boomers for Michael and Florence, and a name common among Millennials for Lane.
All would be English-language.
0 likes   

User avatar
CyclonicFury
Category 2
Category 2
Posts: 627
Age: 20
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:32 pm
Location: NC
Contact:

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#82 Postby CyclonicFury » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:08 pm

IMO Florence and Michael are retirement locks. Lane, I don't really think so but I wouldn't rule it out.
2 likes   
NCSU meteorology student and weather blogger at www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

User avatar
DioBrando
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:45 pm

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#83 Postby DioBrando » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:46 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:IMO Florence and Michael are retirement locks. Lane, I don't really think so but I wouldn't rule it out.

OK. But do you think the NHC would stick to Boomer names or look to Millennials/Gen Z-predominant names?
(I mean using the average age of names with the Name Age Calculator, most names on the Atlantic season average out to Boomer-age (with 2019 averaging Gen X))

Anyway I go with Frida and Mickey.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Posts: 27417
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:57 pm
Location: Deep South, for the first time!

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#84 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:18 pm

DioBrando wrote:What type of name do you think they would use for Michael, Florence and Lane's replacement names?

I have a feeling they would use a name common for Boomers for Michael and Florence, and a name common among Millennials for Lane.
All would be English-language.


I don't think Lane gets retired. It did produce phenomenal rain but most of the impact was in sparsely populated areas.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Posts: 27417
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:57 pm
Location: Deep South, for the first time!

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#85 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:20 pm

One thing about this season in the Atlantic is that there will be little mystery (so far). We have two OBVIOUS retirement cases (Florence and Michael) and nothing else even remotely warranting consideration. Often there are bubble names.
0 likes   

User avatar
Buck
Category 4
Category 4
Posts: 901
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:04 pm

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#86 Postby Buck » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:46 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:One thing about this season in the Atlantic is that there will be little mystery (so far). We have two OBVIOUS retirement cases (Florence and Michael) and nothing else even remotely warranting consideration. Often there are bubble names.


I wouldn't be surprised if France requests Leslie's retirement because of the village flooding disaster. They have done so before for lesser storms (i.e. Klaus).
1 likes   

User avatar
DioBrando
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:45 pm

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#87 Postby DioBrando » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:02 pm

Buck wrote:
CrazyC83 wrote:One thing about this season in the Atlantic is that there will be little mystery (so far). We have two OBVIOUS retirement cases (Florence and Michael) and nothing else even remotely warranting consideration. Often there are bubble names.


I wouldn't be surprised if France requests Leslie's retirement because of the village flooding disaster. They have done so before for lesser storms (i.e. Klaus).

If they do, would they request a traditional French name (as in the case with Dorian, Fernand, Nestor?) or stick to an English-language name?

(Also, as a proportion of the Atlantic names, how many are French percentagewise?)
0 likes   

TallyTracker
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:46 pm

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#88 Postby TallyTracker » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:16 pm

My dad's name is Mark and he was in Lynn Haven during the storm. That would be a great replacement from Michael.
0 likes   
Fran '96, Georges '98, Gordon '00, Gabrielle '01, Charley '04, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Barry '07, Fay '08, Debby '12, Matthew '16, Emily '17, Irma '17, Michael '18

User avatar
TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 5628
Age: 25
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:38 pm
Location: Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#89 Postby TheStormExpert » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:42 pm

What are the chances they pick something like Mike for the replacement to Michael? I know people on here and even social media were referring Michael to Mike for short.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

User avatar
DioBrando
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:45 pm

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#90 Postby DioBrando » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:52 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:What are the chances they pick something like Mike for the replacement to Michael? I know people on here and even social media were referring Michael to Mike for short.

near 0 tbh
0 likes   

Cleveland Kent Evans
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 4:02 pm

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#91 Postby Cleveland Kent Evans » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:09 pm

DioBrando wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if France requests Leslie's retirement because of the village flooding disaster. They have done so before for lesser storms (i.e. Klaus).
If they do, would they request a traditional French name (as in the case with Dorian, Fernand, Nestor?) or stick to an English-language name?

(Also, as a proportion of the Atlantic names, how many are French percentagewise?)


Just a point: Dorian is not a "traditional" French name. It only became well-used for French boys after 1983 -- it was only invented as a male name by English author Oscar Wilde for "The Picture of Dorian Gray" in 1891, so it is really not a "traditional" name anywhere. And although you can probably find a few examples of Nestor in France back in the 18th and 19th century, as far as I can tell it has always been rare in France and is more of a Latin American choice as a commonly used name.
If the French ask for Leslie to be replaced, they'd probably give alternatives from among names they are familiar with, which would include names recently popular in France such as Lea, Lilou, Lucie, and Ludivine.
2 likes   

Torino
Tropical Low
Tropical Low
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:34 am

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#92 Postby Torino » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:56 pm

Cleveland Kent Evans wrote:
DioBrando wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if France requests Leslie's retirement because of the village flooding disaster. They have done so before for lesser storms (i.e. Klaus).
If they do, would they request a traditional French name (as in the case with Dorian, Fernand, Nestor?) or stick to an English-language name?

(Also, as a proportion of the Atlantic names, how many are French percentagewise?)


Just a point: Dorian is not a "traditional" French name. It only became well-used for French boys after 1983 -- it was only invented as a male name by English author Oscar Wilde for "The Picture of Dorian Gray" in 1891, so it is really not a "traditional" name anywhere. And although you can probably find a few examples of Nestor in France back in the 18th and 19th century, as far as I can tell it has always been rare in France and is more of a Latin American choice as a commonly used name.
If the French ask for Leslie to be replaced, they'd probably give alternatives from among names they are familiar with, which would include names recently popular in France such as Lea, Lilou, Lucie, and Ludivine.


If I remember correctly, they said it was a popular name in Haiti, that's why they replaced Noel with Nestor. I guess it was a "proxy case".
0 likes   

User avatar
DioBrando
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:45 pm

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#93 Postby DioBrando » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:57 pm

Cleveland Kent Evans wrote:
DioBrando wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if France requests Leslie's retirement because of the village flooding disaster. They have done so before for lesser storms (i.e. Klaus).
If they do, would they request a traditional French name (as in the case with Dorian, Fernand, Nestor?) or stick to an English-language name?

(Also, as a proportion of the Atlantic names, how many are French percentagewise?)


Just a point: Dorian is not a "traditional" French name. It only became well-used for French boys after 1983 -- it was only invented as a male name by English author Oscar Wilde for "The Picture of Dorian Gray" in 1891, so it is really not a "traditional" name anywhere. And although you can probably find a few examples of Nestor in France back in the 18th and 19th century, as far as I can tell it has always been rare in France and is more of a Latin American choice as a commonly used name.
If the French ask for Leslie to be replaced, they'd probably give alternatives from among names they are familiar with, which would include names recently popular in France such as Lea, Lilou, Lucie, and Ludivine.

ok
0 likes   

User avatar
DioBrando
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:45 pm

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#94 Postby DioBrando » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:58 pm

but seriously, I would love to see more french names on the hurricane naming lists. we're definitely lacking them. they prolly only make up about 5% of the names tbh
1 likes   

GSBHurricane
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:12 am

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#95 Postby GSBHurricane » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:19 pm

I say there's a chance Alberto may even be retired now that its TCR is out. Ten deaths in Cuba with damage levels implied to be significant. Also, while not as destructive for the US as it was in Cuba, it affected a similar area that its 1994 counterpart did which caused $1 billion in damage (1994 USD) and 32 deaths. That may inspire confusion and resultant its retroactive retirement.
0 likes   

HurricaneRyan
Category 2
Category 2
Posts: 616
Age: 25
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:05 pm

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#96 Postby HurricaneRyan » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:51 pm

Willa could make a run for retirement too.
1 likes   
I'm wide awake

User avatar
DioBrando
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:45 pm

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#97 Postby DioBrando » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:10 pm

HurricaneRyan wrote:Willa could make a run for retirement too.

was just going to say that
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Posts: 27417
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:57 pm
Location: Deep South, for the first time!

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#98 Postby CrazyC83 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:18 pm

HurricaneRyan wrote:Willa could make a run for retirement too.


We shall see! We likely won't know until after landfall though.
0 likes   

SconnieCane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:29 pm

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#99 Postby SconnieCane » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:55 pm

The standards seem to be more lenient in Mexico's eyes for Pacific hurricanes than when they come from the Atlantic side. 2005's Emily made two landfalls as a major and caused more deaths in Mexico than either Kenna or Patricia, but was not retired while those latter two were.
0 likes   

GSBHurricane
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:12 am

Re: 2018 Cyclones Retirement

#100 Postby GSBHurricane » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:24 pm

SconnieCane wrote:The standards seem to be more lenient in Mexico's eyes for Pacific hurricanes than when they come from the Atlantic side. 2005's Emily made two landfalls as a major and caused more deaths in Mexico than either Kenna or Patricia, but was not retired while those latter two were.

I actually wonder why Mexico is more lenient with Pacific hurricanes than Atlantic hurricanes? Any theories?
0 likes   


Return to “Talkin' Tropics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jaguarjace, TheAustinMan and 21 guests