Reasons for 2018 Tropical Inconsistency?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Reasons for 2018 Tropical Inconsistency?

#1 Postby chaser1 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:57 am

A year with zero named storms in August and then suddenly having 4 at one time in September? The last few days have seen more tropical systems (hurricane, T.S, and invests) within the Atlantic basin then at any point in memory. Having said that, I'd be curious as to whether MJO induced sinking air or simply this being a year with an over abundant amount of mid level dry air as a contributor to greater then normal tropical cyclone decay and/or hampered ability to develop. Contrary to more typical years during the peak of season we have:
- an invest in the Gulf that contrary to forecast and good upper air, may fail to even develop into a T.D. before landfall
- a recent Cat 4 hurricane forecast to maintain intensity up to near landfall, weakening with a degrading CDO over very warm SST's and having great upper divergence
- a hurricane in the MDR that began rapidly becoming disorganized prior to encountering strong upper level westerlies and now moving over the Leewards as an open wave

Can't blame it on El Nino basin induced wind shear or a ripping mid-Atlantic TUTT, not an issue with SST's, and not due to high surface pressures. SAL certainly was very significant over recent months but there's no obvious new surges of Saharan air now spreading throughout the basin. Could recent months SAL outbreaks still be responsible for basin wide particulates still saturating a particular layer of the atmosphere? Sure does seem like some type of Tropical cyclone "UTC" Infection going on...... :think:
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Reasons for 2018 Tropical Inconsistency?

#2 Postby CyclonicFury » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:07 am

I don't think it's anything that unusual that some systems are underperforming intensity forecasts. Intensity forecasting remains a challenge.

The Atlantic is above average in ACE FWIW. Not every storm is going to undergo RI like 2017. It's not anything remotely similar to a year like 2013 as we have five hurricanes and a major.
2 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:17 am

The Atlantic basin overall is in a somewhat unfavorable state at the moment. The reason why these storms were able to develop and overcome that was because of the MJO being favorable in our region, correct me if I’m wrong.

Wouldn’t be surprised if the second half of September is much quieter than the first half, unless Isaac surprises us which I have doubts.

If that’s the case then things overall may shutdown much earlier than normal. Still can’t rule out the weak short-lived development in the far north Subtropical Atlantic.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Hammy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:40 pm

And I think this year is similar to 2014, being warm neutral (though that year was much warmer) which has been contributing to the Gulf being less favorable, as well as the cooler than normal MDR for much of August, so like 2014 this year is more dependent on the MJO in order for anything to form. But unlike 2014, we're not at a near-Nino and the wave train was much stronger, with more moisture over Africa.

TheStormExpert wrote:Wouldn’t be surprised if the second half of September is much quieter than the first half, unless Isaac surprises us which I have doubts.

If that’s the case then things overall may shutdown much earlier than normal. Still can’t rule out the weak short-lived development in the far north Subtropical Atlantic.

While I'm on 2014, there was nothing from September 19-Oct 10 but October was quite active. With the pattern setup looking favorable for early to mid October, I'd rule out an early end to the season unless we have a replay of 2002 or 06 with El Nino onset.

CyclonicFury wrote:I don't think it's anything that unusual that some systems are underperforming intensity forecasts. Intensity forecasting remains a challenge.

The Atlantic is above average in ACE FWIW. Not every storm is going to undergo RI like 2017. It's not anything remotely similar to a year like 2013 as we have five hurricanes and a major.

We're on the low end of near-normal for ACE I believe--the median is 87 and the average is 67-111.

And there were two storms in August. :)

Edit: the realization that I've technically replied to every post in this thread :lol:
3 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

canes92
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#5 Postby canes92 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:17 pm

Mother Nature does things her own way.
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#6 Postby RL3AO » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:26 pm

The Atlantic has a pretty extreme peak of the season compared to other basins. Even the slowest seasons in August and October usually have an active week or two in September. It's just climatology.
7 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby AnnularCane » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:50 pm

Do you mean zero hurricanes? We had Debby and Ernesto in August.
1 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:35 pm

The way I see it this season is behaving just about average depending how you look at things. Most forecasters were expecting below average. So far the storm tally is 10/5/1. Wouldn’t surprise me if we manage to reach around 15 named storms, can’t rule out a few more hurricanes, and maybe we can squeeze out another major likely in October over the second half of this month. That could easily put the numbers at for example 15/7-8/2. That’s about average to slightly above average in terms of numbers, ACE totals is yet to be seen so that’ll be another discussion for later on.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby EquusStorm » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:14 pm

The under-performers are weird, as are the August subtropical storms; but on the other end of the Spectrum, Florence's first round of RI to a 4 when we expected a TS, Beryl's unexpected jump to July MDR hurricane, Chris nearly hitting cat 3 in mid July way up north, those significantly overperformed or surprised. So while there have been a lot of storms that weakened when they shouldn't have, and this is worth discussing, hey, at least a few others balanced it out a bit. 10/5/1 isn't that bad a season all things considered.
6 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

Patrick99
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby Patrick99 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:34 am

I can't think of the exact seasons, but I feel like this has happened many times, when we have a slow August and then all of a sudden everything boils over in September. I get the sense that some years, we spend much of August still trying to get rid of the typical heavy SAL pattern we see in July.
2 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#11 Postby tolakram » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:49 am

I think it's perfectly normal. We tend to remember the extreme seasons where conditions are perfect and not the less perfect ones.
2 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby chaser1 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:35 am

AnnularCane wrote:Do you mean zero hurricanes? We had Debby and Ernesto in August.

Acknowledged; thanks for the correction :wink:
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby Hurricaneman » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:11 pm

Patrick99 wrote:I can't think of the exact seasons, but I feel like this has happened many times, when we have a slow August and then all of a sudden everything boils over in September. I get the sense that some years, we spend much of August still trying to get rid of the typical heavy SAL pattern we see in July.

Not all years are going to be like 2005 or 1983 for that matter, this year waking up the first week of September is not all that uncommon and typically back loaded seasons tend to last until late October early November and sometimes later
5 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby Hammy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:06 pm

Hurricaneman wrote:
Patrick99 wrote:I can't think of the exact seasons, but I feel like this has happened many times, when we have a slow August and then all of a sudden everything boils over in September. I get the sense that some years, we spend much of August still trying to get rid of the typical heavy SAL pattern we see in July.

Not all years are going to be like 2005 or 1983 for that matter, this year waking up the first week of September is not all that uncommon and typically back loaded seasons tend to last until late October early November and sometimes later

Interestingly though, even 2005 had a very quiet August relative to the season's high activity--before Katrina, we had two tropical storms (one very short-lived) and a hurricane that struggled most of it's lifetime.
4 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby Ptarmigan » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:28 pm

September is historically the most active part of the hurricane season. August and October can be active as well.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”