Historic storms you expect to see in your lifetime

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Hurricane2022
Category 4
Category 4

Re: Historic storms you expect to see in your lifetime

#41 Postby Hurricane2022 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:27 pm

Teban54 wrote:Now, some of my own predictions:
[*]A tropical depression that forms over Africa while still inland[/list]

Tropical Storm Christine was the first tropical cyclone to form as far east as longitude 30° W in the Atlantic Ocean since Tropical Storm Ginger in 1967. Forming as a tropical depression over the country of Guinea on August 25, 1973, the system tracked nearly due west for several days before intensifying into a tropical storm on August 28. However, the National Hurricane Center did not issue their first advisory on the system until its intensity was confirmed by a reconnaissance aircraft on August 30.
And i was thinking that this never happened before..
Last edited by Hurricane2022 on Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   
Sorry for the bad English sometimes...!
For reliable and detailed information for any meteorological phenomenon, please consult the National Hurricane Center, Joint Typhoon Warning Center , or your local Meteo Center.

--------

Una cvm Christo, pro Christo, et in Christo. Sit nomen Domini benedictvm.

Hurricane2022
Category 4
Category 4

#42 Postby Hurricane2022 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:36 pm

Storms that I would like to see in the next years:

• A sub-880 mb and 175 kt+ hurricane in the Atlantic
• Major Hurricane in the SATL (OTS!!!)
• A great hurricane that crosses all basins of the northern hemisphere (NATL, EPAC, WPAC and NIO) while remaining strong between categories 1 and 5
• A hurricane that produces 75+ points of ACE in the NATL
• "The Hurricane of dreams", which remains between 130 - 160 kt out to sea and has recon the entire time. Or better, a Hurricane Sam 2.0, only even more perfect.
1 likes   
Sorry for the bad English sometimes...!
For reliable and detailed information for any meteorological phenomenon, please consult the National Hurricane Center, Joint Typhoon Warning Center , or your local Meteo Center.

--------

Una cvm Christo, pro Christo, et in Christo. Sit nomen Domini benedictvm.

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#43 Postby Hurricaneman » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:33 pm

These are hypothetical but plausible

Andrew repeat but larger at south Florida landfall and cat 5 landfall in New Orleans

Something similar to Hazel, forms in the Caribbean but instead of going into the Carolinas it hit the NE US as a cat 3/4 hurricane

A hurricane hits Spain

A tropical storm or Hurricane doubles back to Africa namely the Canary Islands

Cat 5 hurricane Landfall in Cabo San Lucas

Major Hurricane landfall in Brazil
0 likes   

Patrick99
Category 5
Category 5

#44 Postby Patrick99 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:21 am

JPmia wrote:Another Great Miami Hurricane ala 1926 will happen again.

That was such a basic, smooth WNW track under a Bermuda High, I'm surprised it hasn't happened.
2 likes   

zal0phus
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#45 Postby zal0phus » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:07 pm

Within 10 to 15 years:
-A Category 4 or 5 landfall in the Tampa Bay region
-A landfall of at least Category 2 intensity in the Northeast
-A Mitch-like storm that comes late in the season and stalls in the Caribbean
-A major landfall in southeast Florida/the Miami metro. This is the one I'm most certain of, it's just been too long.

By the 2050s:
-A storm that breaks Wilma's record; winds of at least 200mph and a central pressure below 880
-A December Category 5
-A sub-900 landfall on the level of the Labor Day Hurricane, or even stronger
-A sub-900 storm in the open Atlantic

By the end of my life (2070s-onward):
-A Category 5 landfall somewhere north of Florida
-A major hurricane directly into NYC
-A high-end major hurricane in Cabo Verde
1 likes   
And it all comes tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down...
And I just keep letting me down, letting me down, letting me down...

al78
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#46 Postby al78 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:55 pm

A hurricane of Patricia's intensity in the Caribbean or Gulf and making landfall close to that intensity.

Another Haiyan-level typhoon killing thousands in a poor part of the world prone to storm surge.

Tampa hit by the front right quadrant of a cat 4 hurricane driving a 15-20 foot storm surge up Tampa Bay (Ian could have done this with slightly different synoptics).

A recurving hurricane interacting with the jet stream in such a way as to bring another October 1987 strength event to the UK.
3 likes   

ljmac75
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#47 Postby ljmac75 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:43 pm

A Hurricane bringing Hurricane conditions inland to Arkansas
A Hurricane breaking Wilma's 882 mbar pressure record in the Atlantic.
Another Cat 5 landfall on the Yucatan Peninsula
A Cat 5 hitting Jamaica
A Hurricane breaking Ivan's record for most tornadoes spawned
A Hurricane bringing Cat 5 conditions to the US without making landfall as a Cat 5
A system forming over the Great Lakes having sufficient characteristics for the NHC to name it or at least issue some kind of special outlook addressing it
2 likes   

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#48 Postby DioBrando » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:30 pm

a hurricane that goes from tropical depression to category 5 within 6 hours (half of the time it took otis)
an Atlantic hurricane that loops back affecting west Africa
a system still receiving advisories in Europe as a bonafide system
a category 5 hitting NYC
a nadine type path but category 5
0 likes   
blonde stacey (xe/xem/xir)

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#49 Postby Blown Away » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:56 am

I think a sustained 200 mph hurricane in the Atlantic Basin may happen if these extreme SST's continue...
2 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05...
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

CFLHurricane
Category 1
Category 1

#50 Postby CFLHurricane » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:37 am

I expect to witness a major hurricane that tracks the entire length of I-95 in Florida. We’ve come close a few times in the last decade only to be saved by a last second front.
1 likes   
I'm not a meteorologist, but I did stay at a motel 8.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#51 Postby Iceresistance » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:24 am

A Carla repeat for Texas :eek:
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#52 Postby Teban54 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:45 pm

Teban54 wrote:Now, some of my own predictions:
  • A crossover storm between Atlantic and EPAC that achieves Cat 5 intensity in both basins
  • Another major hurricane landfall in Georgia (last MH landfall was 1898, last H landfall was David 1979)
  • A tropical or subtropical landfall in New Hampshire or Maine
  • The fifth CONUS Cat 5 landfall
  • A fully tropical system over the Great Lakes (Alberto 2018 came close)
  • A strong hurricane making landfall in two or more consecutive islands in Lesser Antilles between Barbuda and Grenada: taking a north-south track similar to Tammy 2023, but at much higher intensity and directly over the islands
  • A major hurricane landfall in South America (whether it's from the Caribbean or South Atlantic)
  • A major hurricane landfall on Cabo Verde islands
  • A Cat 4+ hurricane in the Caribbean in a moderate or strong non-Modoki El Nino
  • Another tropical cyclone landfall in Panama (the only one on record is Martha 1969)
  • A tropical depression that forms over Africa while still inland

Adding to my list: A direct hurricane hit on non-Kauai islands of Hawaii.
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#53 Postby cycloneye » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:32 pm

A major hurricane making landfall at the Panamá Canal.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Beef Stew
Category 1
Category 1

#54 Postby Beef Stew » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:24 pm

Glad to see this thread revitalized. These are some events that I would wager we'll see happen within in the next 50-60 years:

CONUS:

The first CONUS hurricane to make an operationally classified landfall as a category 5 on the SSHWS

A landfalling hurricane interfering with US Election Day

A high-end category 4 (or stronger) hurricane making landfall at peak intensity in either Palm Beach, Broward, or Miami-Dade county and becoming the most expensive storm on record

Back-to-back years with major hurricanes hitting the Florida peninsula

A category 4 storm making landfall in Georgia (around the Savannah area) for the first time since 1898

A category 4 storm making landfall in the Outer Banks

A (fully tropical) hurricane making landfall in Maine

A major hurricane making landfall in Long Island, NY

A small hurricane that explosively intensifies into a sub 910 mb category 5, as it makes landfall in the southernmost part of Texas near Brownsville.

A hurricane making landfall in the Florida Keys in early December

An 8 year streak with no major CONUS landfalls

Atlantic Basin:

A season with no hurricanes

A season with a record-setting 8 major hurricanes (although I believe this may have happened in 2020 with Sally)

A hurricane that is operationally classified (and officially remains as) a 170 kt storm, setting a wind speed record for the Atlantic

The third-recorded 160 kt landfalling hurricane striking the Yucatan

A season surpassing 1933’s ACE record

A major hurricane making landfall in the Azores

A hurricane dramatically changing course and making landfall somewhere due to the Fujiwhara effect

Two category 5 hurricanes existing simultaneously in the basin (although I personally believe there’s an outside chance this may have already happened with Jose and Irma)

A (fully tropical) hurricane landfall into mainland Portugal

A named storm making landfall in Costa Rica
2 likes   

Patrick99
Category 5
Category 5

#55 Postby Patrick99 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:43 pm

I expect to see a major hurricane, probably a high end Cat 4, landfall in SE FL somewhere in between Kendall Drive in S. Miami, and Southern Blvd in WPB. For sticking out like a sore thumb like this area does, it's hard to believe 1992 was the last time one of the 3 counties was directly hit by a major, and 1950 was the last time Miami, FtL, or WPB was hit by a major. And as expensive as Andrew was, it probably hit the *least* expensive part of SE FL.

I also expect to see a Cat 5 hit somewhere between Savannah and the Outer Banks. That would be novel.
1 likes   

TheAustinMan
Category 4
Category 4

#56 Postby TheAustinMan » Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:17 pm

Within the Atlantic, I think the following are possibilities:
  • The landfall of a major hurricane on the Caribbean, Mexico, or US that results in zero fatalities (Bermuda recorded zero fatalities during the landfalls of major hurricanes Gonzalo [2014] and Nicole [2016])
  • A Category 2 hurricane in May (this has not happened based on the official HURDAT, but a separate analysis suggests one may have occurred in 1863)
  • A Category 4+ hurricane in the Main development region east of the Lesser Antilles in October (should African easterly waves become more frequent late season, as depicted in Brannan and Martin [2018])
  • Another major hurricane in the Houston or Miami areas
  • The basin landfall intensity record set by the 1935 Labor Day hurricane (892 mbar) being broken
  • Records for northernmost tropical storm genesis and northermost hurricane being broken again
  • Three simultaneous major hurricanes at some point in the basin
  • New statewide records being set for tropical cyclone rainfall in Louisiana (current record: 37.50" in 1940) Mississippi (current record: 32.21" in Georges 1998), and Alabama (current record: 37.75" in Danny 1997)
1 likes   
ImageImageImage
Treat my opinions with a grain of salt. For official information see your local weather service.

MarioProtVI
Category 2
Category 2

#57 Postby MarioProtVI » Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:04 pm

TheAustinMan wrote:Within the Atlantic, I think the following are possibilities:
  • The landfall of a major hurricane on the Caribbean, Mexico, or US that results in zero fatalities (Bermuda recorded zero fatalities during the landfalls of major hurricanes Gonzalo [2014] and Nicole [2016])
  • A Category 2 hurricane in May (this has not happened based on the official HURDAT, but a separate analysis suggests one may have occurred in 1863)
  • A Category 4+ hurricane in the Main development region east of the Lesser Antilles in October (should African easterly waves become more frequent late season, as depicted in Brannan and Martin [2018])
  • Another major hurricane in the Houston or Miami areas
  • The basin landfall intensity record set by the 1935 Labor Day hurricane (892 mbar) being broken
  • Records for northernmost tropical storm genesis and northermost hurricane being broken again
  • Three simultaneous major hurricanes at some point in the basin
  • New statewide records being set for tropical cyclone rainfall in Louisiana (current record: 37.50" in 1940) Mississippi (current record: 32.21" in Georges 1998), and Alabama (current record: 37.75" in Danny 1997)

The three simultaneous major hurricanes we came the closest to in 2017 on September 8 when Irma (140 kt at the time), Jose (135 kt) and Katia (90 kt) were active as a C5, 4 and 2 respectively. Had Katia overperformed a little bit more it would’ve gotten there.
2 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”