Which of the Remaining unused Storm Names Sound Scariest?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Which of the Remaining unused Storm Names Sound Scariest?

#1 Postby chaser1 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:02 pm

Okay, in what may be the most unscientific and idiotic discussion that relates to Hurricane Season, I'd be lying if I didn't admit that as a young boy I eagerly reviewed the upcoming list of Storm names just to see which sounded the fiercest. I know a similar thread discussion was started near the beginning of the season but now here we are approaching October 1st, with these few remaining names left. None may be used, or perhaps several. Two to five more storms however do not seem at all unreasonable for the final 2 months. So, here we have our final names on the 2018 list - Michael, Nadine, Oscar, Patty, Rafael, Sara, Tony, Valerie, and William Which sound the most intimidating?

Not sure why but early on I just thought that if we went deep enough into the list, both Nadine and Patty were gonna be the one's to "punch a wallop". Patty scares me the most. Perhaps a result of flashbacks to Peppermint Patty from Charlie Brown??? (I obviously watched TOO much T.V. as a child :cheesy: ).
4 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Which of the Remaining unused Storm Names Sound Scariest?

#2 Postby AutoPenalti » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:13 pm

Nadine sounds threatening IMO.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

SconnieCane
Category 4
Category 4

#3 Postby SconnieCane » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:14 pm

This list (IV) has proved relatively benign since 1988, when Gordon replaced Gilbert (a case could be made that it should have been retired after its first use in 1994, as that storm was very deadly in Haiti despite maxing out as a Category 1), apart from Sandy in 2012. This is in stark contrast to List III which scarcely resembles the original apart from a handful of names (I'm surprised Emily and Ophelia are still there, and of course good ol' Franklin [the storm, not the forecaster] keeps cropping up), and some letters have been retired/replaced more than once (like Irene being replaced by Irma, itself now replaced by Idalia for 2023).

I agree that Nadine and Patty both sound ominous, but probably not this year. I also think Gordon is due to be a big/destructive cane, as that name implies strength/power to me (I grew up knowing it as the name of the largest and most powerful steam locomotive on Sir Topham Hatt's railway in The Railway Series/Thomas the Tank Engine). Thought it had a shot this year when it spun up that compact core just after crossing Florida, but the shear axis didn't stay out ahead of it like I thought it might.
0 likes   

Monsoonjr99
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4 Postby Monsoonjr99 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:37 am

If you're going to include EPac names in this, I'd say Sergio sounds pretty scary considering the first thing I think of hearing that name is storm surge.
2 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Some Californian who codes things and tracks weather.

Kay '22, Hilary '23

GSBHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#5 Postby GSBHurricane » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:16 pm

Probably Rafael. Or Oscar if this reminds you of anything. Image
4 likes   

johngaltfla
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby johngaltfla » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:20 pm

Alpha.

God help us if we get there. :eek:
3 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby toad strangler » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:45 pm

William sounds like the big brother of Wilma
5 likes   

Abdullah
Category 1
Category 1

#8 Postby Abdullah » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:07 pm

GSBHurricane wrote:Probably Rafael. Or Oscar if this reminds you of anything. http://ids.si.edu/ids/deliveryService?id=NMAH-JN2018-01024-000004

He popped into my mind as soon as I read the question!

Tony.

It just has that sound to it.
2 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby chaser1 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:09 pm

toad strangler wrote:William sounds like the big brother of Wilma

Wo! You just made me think of something along the whole Star Trek theme?! Get it? Kirk (Captain Kirk) - William (William Shatner who's role WAS Kirk)
Coincidence LOL? I think not :lol:
2 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

MetroMike
Category 3
Category 3

#10 Postby MetroMike » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:33 pm

Michael.....well because it is MY name.
1 likes   

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby galaxy401 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:22 pm

chaser1 wrote:

Wo! You just made me think of something along the whole Star Trek theme?! Get it? Kirk (Captain Kirk) - William (William Shatner who's role WAS Kirk)

Also the fact that one list has Marco in the Atlantic and Polo in the Pacific. Then there's another list with Ana and Elsa for the Atlantic along with Olaf in the Pacific. I'm sure the NHC (or WMO) does do humor sometimes. :lol:

As for the names, I'm not sure honestly. Maybe Oscar and Rafael but I'm not sure we reach those names this year.
1 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby chaser1 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:48 pm

galaxy401 wrote:
chaser1 wrote:

Also the fact that one list has Marco in the Atlantic and Polo in the Pacific. Then there's another list with Ana and Elsa for the Atlantic along with Olaf in the Pacific. I'm sure the NHC (or WMO) does do humor sometimes. :lol:

As for the names, I'm not sure honestly. Maybe Oscar and Rafael but I'm not sure we reach those names this year.

Marco - Polo?? :roflmao: :roflmao:
I never did realize that one!
1 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby AnnularCane » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:53 pm

chaser1 wrote:

Marco - Polo?? :roflmao: :roflmao:
I never did realize that one![/quote]

Whenever that list comes around I always root for both names to be active at the same time. :cheesy:
1 likes   

HurricaneRyan
Category 2
Category 2

#14 Postby HurricaneRyan » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:01 pm

galaxy401 wrote:
chaser1 wrote:

If only Gabrielle and Rebekah could get retired next year and replaced with Gretchen and Regina. Then Gretchen, Karen and Regina would all be together.
2 likes   
Kay '22 Hilary '23

GSBHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#15 Postby GSBHurricane » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:37 pm

Now if you’re talking about unused names in general, I’d say Victor is the most threatening because of The Hunger Games (which I used to be a big fan of). Or If you want to go for an ironic twist, then Teresa might do the best job fitting that bill.
0 likes   

MetroMike
Category 3
Category 3

#16 Postby MetroMike » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:03 pm

MetroMike wrote:Michael.....well because it is MY name.

I will say it again today. :x
3 likes   

Abdullah
Category 1
Category 1

#17 Postby Abdullah » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:13 pm

MetroMike wrote:Michael.....well because it is MY name.

Is nobody going to acknowledge this?
0 likes   

BadLarry95
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#18 Postby BadLarry95 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:23 pm

Rafael.

Don’t mess with the “archangel” hurricanes

Michael, Rafael, (no Gabriel yet)
2 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”