Very Quick Question about Hurricane Rotation

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
storm_in_a_teacup
Category 1
Category 1

Very Quick Question about Hurricane Rotation

#1 Postby storm_in_a_teacup » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:56 pm

So all the footage from inside Hurricane Michael’s eye has made me wonder something...

We all know from the vantage point of a satellite, looking down on a hurricane, a hurricane rotates counter clockwise (assuming no South Atlantic hurricanes).

However if you are below the hurricane and look upwards, does it appear to rotate clockwise? I’ve been assuming that in my art, just kind of flipping my perspective on a spinning disk.

It is clear that unless you somehow burrow into the Earth and look up, you’ll never be completely below the entire hurricane. However, perhaps this is something you could see if you’re in the eye and look up at the upper part of the eyewall that is at a high altitude?
3 likes   
I know I can't straddle the atmosphere...just a tiny storm in your teacup, girl.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: Very Quick Question about Hurricane Rotation

#2 Postby tolakram » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:23 pm

No, it rotates the same way regardless of where you are. Thing of yourself high above the cane looking down, then falling onto the ground and looking up. It didn't change directions, it still rotates from your right to your left when looking in front of you. :)
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Extratropical94
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3 Postby Extratropical94 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:55 pm

Actually, if you looked up into the sky, the hurricane should appear to rotate clockwise. The northern part would still move east to west, and the southern part would move west to east, but you would be looking down the axis of rotation in the opposite direction.
Good question, I just had to double check by looking at my ceiling fan from different angles :D .
5 likes   
54° 11' 59'' N, 9° 9' 20'' E
Boomer Sooner!
Go Broncos! Go Cards! Go Niners!
- Daniel

storm_in_a_teacup
Category 1
Category 1

#4 Postby storm_in_a_teacup » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:06 pm

Extratropical94 wrote:Actually, if you looked up into the sky, the hurricane should appear to rotate clockwise. The northern part would still move east to west, and the southern part would move west to east, but you would be looking down the axis of rotation in the opposite direction.
Good question, I just had to double check by looking at my ceiling fan from different angles :D .

That's what I was thinking.
3 likes   
I know I can't straddle the atmosphere...just a tiny storm in your teacup, girl.

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby AnnularCane » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:09 pm

This thread now has me looking at and analyzing my ceiling fan more than is probably normal. :lol:
4 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”