Hurricane Michael Videos/Personal Introduction:

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Message
Author
ncforecaster89
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:32 pm

Hurricane Michael Videos/Personal Introduction:

#1 Postby ncforecaster89 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:22 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm a new member to this particular community. I had written a pretty detailed introduction, but lost it while attempting to "preview" it. As such, the following are just a few quick details about myself; relative to my own Meteorological experience:

1) Worked professionally in the Meteorological field (1992-1995) One of main reasons I decided to leave the meteorological field was the inability to chase extreme weather events when they arose.

2) Student intern at NHC (under mentorship of the late Bob Case).

3) Weather boards: Have been a member of three different weather forums prior to this one. Joined Weatherunderground back in 2005, where I frequently wrote a series of blogs titled "Weather101"; predominantly focused on tropical cyclone forecasting. Since then, I've been a member of EasternWx and AmericanWX. Due to increased time constraints, I'm no longer a regular poster on these weather boards, however.

4) Hurricane Chaser: Have documented 31 separate Atlantic basin hurricanes that produced at least hurricane-force wind gusts where I experienced them; 10 at category-three or higher. First official chase was in September of 1989 (Hugo in SE NC). Since 2004, have intercepted the central core (eye and/or eyewall) of 19 different hurricanes; 7 at major hurricane intensity. Since 2005, I've penetrated the eye and/or eyewall of all 17 hurricanes I've chased. Hurricane Michael broke my personal streak of having intercepted the eye of the last 9 USA hurricane landfalls, beforehand. Ended up less than 2 nm from the eastern-edge of Michaels' eye.

Hurricane Michael Intercept:

As alluded to in the preceding paragraph, I documented the landfall of Hurricane Michael in western-most Mexico Beach, FL...from the stairwell of a two-story condo along hwy 98...near the Marina. This hurricane expedition was by far the most intense I've ever endured! A fast-rising and very large storm surge combined with the deafening and ferocious winds of the eastern-eyewall to decimate the town upon which I had chosen to seek refuge. In the process, I lost my car, cell phone, and barometer, but thankfully, escaped with my life! Sadly, too many others weren't as fortunate.

As time permits, I will ultimately edit the 8 hours of footage gathered during the five days I spent at "ground zero" of hurricane Michael's wrath. In the meantime, here's a small sample of the footage I shared with a local TV station the day after Michael had barrelled ashore:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 75194&_rdr

Hurricane Michael Video/Pics:

Aside from a short introduction to the community, I thought it might be cool to create a thread, specifically, for the purpose of posting video and/or sharing pictures of this historic event.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post, and I look forward to talking with many of you in the near future! :)

P.S. One can also follow my future hurricane and winter storm chases via my Twitter account @tbrite89.
8 likes   

User avatar
FLCrackerGirl
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:53 pm
Location: Vero Beach, Florida

Re: Hurricane Michael Videos/Personal Introduction:

#2 Postby FLCrackerGirl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:02 am

Welcome to Storm2K, Ncforecaster89!
Thanks for sharing your experiences here.
You're Weather 101 series were great reads and informative. Looking forward to your analysis and future postings. Safe Journeys Hunting Storms.
1 likes   

User avatar
chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 2773
Age: 57
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:59 pm
Location: Longwood, Fl

Re: Hurricane Michael Videos/Personal Introduction:

#3 Postby chaser1 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:55 am

ncforecaster89 wrote:Hi everyone!

I'm a new member to this particular community. As time permits, I will ultimately edit the 8 hours of footage gathered during the five days I spent at "ground zero" of hurricane Michael's wrath. In the meantime, here's a small sample of the footage I shared with a local TV station the day after Michael had barrelled ashore:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 75194&_rdr

Hurricane Michael Video/Pics:

Aside from a short introduction to the community, I thought it might be cool to create a thread, specifically, for the purpose of posting video and/or sharing pictures of this historic event.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post, and I look forward to talking with many of you in the near future! :)

P.S. One can also follow my future hurricane and winter storm chases via my Twitter account @tbrite89.


Welcome! Cool scene of that house floating on by! The snippet of video seemed a bit grainy but probably because if was viewed from a Facebook link? I'd love to see some of the other "land-falling" video that capture's the ferocity of Mathew's strongest winds. I think your idea of having a separate thread for video and photography of Michael's impact (as well as doing so for future landfall events) is a great idea. I know others had chased Michael and would love to see whatever video they might have gotten as well. Plus, I don't care to spend the time following blogs, facebook accounts, twits, and wrath of social media ad nauseum so a thread here to simply link video's is a fantastic idea.

Losing your car had to be a bitter pill to swallow but more importantly you escaped with your life. I've been fortunate to have never lost a vehicle, and only one window from our van while chasing Charlie. Storm surge is one animal that we've taken great measure to avoid being impacted by it.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.



ncforecaster89
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:32 pm

Re: Hurricane Michael Videos/Personal Introduction:

#4 Postby ncforecaster89 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:47 pm

FLCrackerGirl wrote:Welcome to Storm2K, Ncforecaster89!
Thanks for sharing your experiences here.
You're Weather 101 series were great reads and informative. Looking forward to your analysis and future postings. Safe Journeys Hunting Storms.


Hi FLCrackerGirl! Thanks so much for the very Kind words.
1 likes   

ncforecaster89
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:32 pm

Re: Hurricane Michael Videos/Personal Introduction:

#5 Postby ncforecaster89 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:03 pm

chaser1 wrote:
ncforecaster89 wrote:Hi everyone!

I'm a new member to this particular community. As time permits, I will ultimately edit the 8 hours of footage gathered during the five days I spent at "ground zero" of hurricane Michael's wrath. In the meantime, here's a small sample of the footage I shared with a local TV station the day after Michael had barrelled ashore:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 75194&_rdr

Hurricane Michael Video/Pics:

Aside from a short introduction to the community, I thought it might be cool to create a thread, specifically, for the purpose of posting video and/or sharing pictures of this historic event.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post, and I look forward to talking with many of you in the near future! :)

P.S. One can also follow my future hurricane and winter storm chases via my Twitter account @tbrite89.


Welcome! Cool scene of that house floating on by! The snippet of video seemed a bit grainy but probably because if was viewed from a Facebook link? I'd love to see some of the other "land-falling" video that capture's the ferocity of Mathew's strongest winds. I think your idea of having a separate thread for video and photography of Michael's impact (as well as doing so for future landfall events) is a great idea. I know others had chased Michael and would love to see whatever video they might have gotten as well. Plus, I don't care to spend the time following blogs, facebook accounts, twits, and wrath of social media ad nauseum so a thread here to simply link video's is a fantastic idea.

Losing your car had to be a bitter pill to swallow but more importantly you escaped with your life. I've been fortunate to have never lost a vehicle, and only one window from our van while chasing Charlie. Storm surge is one animal that we've taken great measure to avoid being impacted by it.


Hi Chaser1! Thanks for the kind words and sharing about your encounter with Charley.

Shot the footage in 4k, so the original is far better quality. Very much looking forward to sharing my video with you guys when I'm able. Since I'm contracted to license my footage in an upcoming DVD, I'm currently restricted from doing so, unfortunately.

Since I happened to be in the perfect location for the absolute highest winds and peak storm surge, I can honestly and objectively say I've captured the most intense and dramatic footage of hurricane Michael; with the exception of missing out on the incredible eye with stadium effect. Not sure how I'll ever be able to top it, and probably shouldn't even try...as a result of the remarkable surge I encountered.

In keeping with the purpose of the thread, I'll begin posting links to other chaser footage of hurricane Michael.
2 likes   

ncforecaster89
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:32 pm

Re: Hurricane Michael Videos/Personal Introduction:

#6 Postby ncforecaster89 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:22 pm

Mark Sudduth webcam from Eastern Mexico Beach, FL:


https://youtu.be/f3ofAJSqpLM

Brett Adair cam footage from inside floating vehicle (eastern-most Mexico Beach):

https://youtu.be/_XA5OQHWx1Y

Doug Keisling livesteam footage driving through front eyewall in Mexico Beach to capture eye near Tyndall AFB:

https://youtu.be/LYujI55_Kfk

Brandon Clement from parking garage in Panama City Beach:

https://youtu.be/ucug6zqsf5A

Reed Timmer from Eastern-most Panama City Beach:

https://youtu.be/5hr5DQAdrnM

Dan Robinson from downtown Panama City:

https://youtu.be/5hr5DQAdrnM
2 likes   

ncforecaster89
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:32 pm

Re: Hurricane Michael Videos/Personal Introduction:

#7 Postby ncforecaster89 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:11 pm

More Hurricane Michael Video Footage:

Tornado Trackers footage from parking garage in Panama City Beach:

https://youtu.be/wSXvcveNSTQ

Jeff Piotrowski footage from Callaway, FL:

https://youtu.be/nAXrTEGKtlo


Bart Comstock footage from near Tyndall AFB:

https://youtu.be/yPR6Dls2rGI.

Jim Williams livesteam from Callaway:

https://youtu.be/heJLCCyO4BA
1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 16473
Age: 36
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:58 pm
Location: Chicago.... definately need to be back in the action..
Contact:

Re: Hurricane Michael Videos/Personal Introduction:

#8 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:41 pm

ncforecaster89 wrote:More Hurricane Michael Video Footage:

Tornado Trackers footage from parking garage in Panama City Beach:

https://youtu.be/wSXvcveNSTQ

Jeff Piotrowski footage from Callaway, FL:

https://youtu.be/nAXrTEGKtlo


Bart Comstock footage from near Tyndall AFB:

https://youtu.be/yPR6Dls2rGI.

Jim Williams livesteam from Callaway:

https://youtu.be/heJLCCyO4BA


Hi, Glad you are ok. I scoped out that same condo as well as others and decided against it. Ended up on the north side of Port St Joe before it wobbled north.

Here is all my footage. not nearly as extreme as mexico beach of course. but still had sustained 110 to 120 ish with very extreme periodic gusts.

https://www.facebook.com/HurricaneMichaelC4
1 likes   
Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

ncforecaster89
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:32 pm

Re: Hurricane Michael Videos/Personal Introduction:

#9 Postby ncforecaster89 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:49 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:
ncforecaster89 wrote:More Hurricane Michael Video Footage:

Tornado Trackers footage from parking garage in Panama City Beach:

https://youtu.be/wSXvcveNSTQ

Jeff Piotrowski footage from Callaway, FL:

https://youtu.be/nAXrTEGKtlo


Bart Comstock footage from near Tyndall AFB:

https://youtu.be/yPR6Dls2rGI.

Jim Williams livesteam from Callaway:

https://youtu.be/heJLCCyO4BA


Hi, Glad you are ok. I scoped out that same condo as well as others and decided against it. Ended up on the north side of Port St Joe before it wobbled north.

Here is all my footage. not nearly as extreme as mexico beach of course. but still had sustained 110 to 120 ish with very extreme periodic gusts.

https://www.facebook.com/HurricaneMichaelC4


Hi Aric. Thanks for sharing your footage, as well; very impressive! It's great to see video of Michael from Port St. Joe, also. Most importantly, very thankful you came through the storm ok.

You guys made the wise choice to not stay at the condo in Mexico Beach. Would've certainly lost your vehicle, as well. Not to mention, there was at least one body pulled from the same condo where we stayed. Safe to say, I'm most fortunate to have survived, myself, as are all the other residents who chose to stay on Mexico Beach!
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 16473
Age: 36
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:58 pm
Location: Chicago.... definately need to be back in the action..
Contact:

Re: Hurricane Michael Videos/Personal Introduction:

#10 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:59 pm

ncforecaster89 wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:
ncforecaster89 wrote:More Hurricane Michael Video Footage:

Tornado Trackers footage from parking garage in Panama City Beach:

https://youtu.be/wSXvcveNSTQ

Jeff Piotrowski footage from Callaway, FL:

https://youtu.be/nAXrTEGKtlo


Bart Comstock footage from near Tyndall AFB:

https://youtu.be/yPR6Dls2rGI.

Jim Williams livesteam from Callaway:

https://youtu.be/heJLCCyO4BA


Hi, Glad you are ok. I scoped out that same condo as well as others and decided against it. Ended up on the north side of Port St Joe before it wobbled north.

Here is all my footage. not nearly as extreme as mexico beach of course. but still had sustained 110 to 120 ish with very extreme periodic gusts.

https://www.facebook.com/HurricaneMichaelC4


Hi Aric. Thanks for sharing your footage, as well; very impressive! It's great to see video of Michael from Port St. Joe, also. Most importantly, very thankful you came through the storm ok.

You guys made the wise choice to not stay at the condo in Mexico Beach. Would've certainly lost your vehicle, as well. Not to mention, there was at least one body pulled from the same condo where we stayed. Safe to say, I'm most fortunate to have survived, myself, as are all the other residents who chose to stay on Mexico Beach!
\

Yeah, few hours before landfall Michael started to wobble more to the east so I left Panama city and started south. Stayed in Mexico beach for about an hour driving around scoping things out. And the first thing I realized was that there was nowhere to secure the vehicle from the surge. At which time Micheal was still wobbling more east and Port St. Joe looked like it was going to take the brunt of it so we headed there and waited and found a few decent places to ride it out.

after about an hour or 2 it became apparent that Micheal started to wobble a little back to the left but it was too late, the only bridge out of Port St Joe was surrounded by surge already and we could not head back north.
1 likes   
Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...


Return to “Talkin' Tropics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests